Whats the best way to slow my boat down for trolling?

coreyhkh

Hey guys I need a way to slow my boat down I troll to fast with my 90hp. I have looked at those prop plates and drift socks they both seem to have there down sides though, the best way would be a second small engine but that is would take a large chunk of coin.

Would drift socks work or would they cause issues.

any feed back would be welcome.

thanks.

Hey guys I need a way to slow my boat down I troll to fast with my 90hp. I have looked at those prop plates and drift socks they both seem to have there down sides though, the best way would be a second small engine but that is would take a large chunk of coin.

Would drift socks work or would they cause issues.

any feed back would be welcome.

thanks.

Have you tried back trolling? I started to use drift socks and they are easier to handle than the pails. I use them on 20' boat 175hp I/0, slow me from 3.5mph to 1.8mph on GPS.

Every spring I struggle to slow my boat down enough for early Browns and Kings...Finally last year I tied a pail off one corner...Its that easy. Keep the rope short so that the pail is right off the corner and there is 0 chance of a rope-propeller encounter. One pail is adequate to slow my 16 footer w/ F90 Yamaha to well under 2 mph.

Pail off each FRONT side cleat, along side the boat, and you'll forget there even there.. until you try to get it up on plane going home that is!

I just used a couple pool chlorine buckets.. drill a hole on each side where the handle goes. Take a rope with 4 or 6 strands and tie a knot in the rope about 2 feet up. Seperate the rope into two runs and tie each thru the bucket hole. One loop at the other end of about 6 feet of rope and drop over the front bow side cleats.

If you have a trolling plate on the boat, drilling a hole in the plate the same size as the prop hub will allow for better steering and stop exhaust from being sucked back into the engine. Will not affect slowing the boat down.

I am lucky that in owning a Crestliner I don't have to worry about slowing the boat down. The giant split down the middle of the hull takes care of that! Full throttle is 1.7 MPH. perfect for walleye. (Sorry, I guess I'm still not over it)

Jim

The 2 pails work just fine but I use a drift sock off the bow cleat, run it mid way under the boat. It allows me to steer much easier than the pails.

I'll have to try that this summer, I had a hard time stearing last year as I had it trailing out behind the boat off a side cleat. (first time using one) but it did really help to slow me down even when drift fishing.

btw, my yahama's troll assist feature works great (can drop the rpms below idle) and i don't really need to use anything to slow down any more. so if you're looking for a new outboard, might be something to consider when choosing.