Trolling Rod?

marrex_mike

which reel did you buy?

a line counter isnt neccessary when using leadcore...

Okuma does make nice leadcore rods for about $35 retail

but almost any medium action 7'-9' downrigger rod should serve you well

...But it still must be a lot easier and convenient.

Edited by davey buoy

Lots of choices, a leadcore rod doesn't have to be special, although there are technique specific rod you can buy. some people like them short (7'),

Like fishdawg mentioned, any 7 to 9' med rigger rod will do, I use Daiwa Heartland 8 1/2' rigger rods and like them, no issues.

Shimano TDR

Okuma classic

Ugly Stik

Just to name a few.

when you buy your leadcore it will come with 25 pound leader material already attached....your first question should have been ...will 10 or 12 colours of leadcore fit on this Okuma reel ( seriously consider it )....then consider if you should save the line counter reel for a dipsey set up...and count colours when deploying your leadcore...food for thought...

Good Luck

thanks for the help guys.. my next question would be how long of a leader line should I have from lead core to lure.?? oh an the Okuma is just a lower model reel "MAGDA" is the name

sounds like your going to be fishing Lake Erie? (walleye/steelhead)

now what size is the Magda? a 30 or a 45?

a 45 will hold the whole spool of leadcore (aka 10 colors) and you can fit 150 yds of 50lb braid backing behind it.

I think a 20-30 ft leader of 5-20lb test mono or floro should do well

if its a 30 Magda, you might get 7 colors to fit the spool with the backing...

if you can, consult a local shop that specializes in great lakes gear to help ya spool it up

I have an almost brand new condition Okuma Celilo 8'6" rod you can have for $35. It is in perfect condition and is a nice rod that can be used for many fishing methods and species. I actually have 2 of them.

Edited by Cudz

I have an almost brand new condition Okuma Celilo 8'6" rod you can have for $35. It is in perfect condition and is a nice rod that can be used for many fishing methods and species. I actually have 2 of them.

Glad to see you are still visiting us Cudz.

Depends where you intend to run it in your spread on which rod you use. If I run 10 colours , it is always down the chute right over the main motor on a short 6'6" that was originally a light musky rod, like the short length in that position. The other leadcore rigs are 5 colours with mono backing, just prefer mono in a release clip over braid, they get run off homemade double planer boards, as is or with snap weights for more depth, I prefer longer 9 footers or more in that position, helps keep the line between the release and rod off the water and easier to manouver around the rigger or dipsy rods to net a fish at the back.