Getting Charged by a CO

Gregoire

through 6 pages of this what i don't understand if it's a in season fish and your dealing with slot's wouldn't it then be frowned upon to measure it? and if you have time to measure it what's the big deal with taking a pic or is it were supposed to know how long it is thrashing around at boatside

When enforcing these regulations, conservation

officers do so with the intent of the legislation in mind and exercise

discretion accordingly.

This is the key phrase of that letter."Exercise discretion accordingly" You may still get fined, or charged, depending on the CO or how he feels that day.

Discretion- the power or right to decide or act according to one's own judgment;

In the criminal justice system, police, prosecutors, judges, and the jury are often able to exercise a degree of discretion in deciding who will be subject to criminal penalties and how they will be punished. For example, the police officer may decide whom to formally arrest for an offense. For a traffic violation, a police officer may simply issue a warning.

Taken from this site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discretion

through 6 pages of this what i don't understand if it's a in season fish and your dealing with slot's wouldn't it then be frowned upon to measure it? and if you have time to measure it what's the big deal with taking a pic or is it were supposed to know how long it is thrashing around at boatside

Why would it be frowned upon to measure it? How else are you supposed to know if it's in the slot or not?

I can't understand why people make such simple things so complicated.. People need to stop thinking the CO's are out to get them...

Why would it be frowned upon to measure it? How else are you supposed to know if it's in the slot or not?

I can't understand why people make such simple things so complicated.. People need to stop thinking the CO's are out to get them...

In order to measure it, it must be in your possession. So whats the difference when taking an OOS pic? The photo probably takes less time.

S.

In order to measure it, it must be in your possession. So whats the difference when taking an OOS pic? The photo probably takes less time.

S.

Why are you comparing a OOS fish with one that's in season but out of the slot?

One is legal to fish for, the other isn't.. Doesn't get much simpler then that.

Edited by BillM

Both are illegal to be in your possession, according to the letter of the law.

I could care less either way. I take pics of OOS fish all the time, and I will continue to do so. I also retain my slot fish long enough for a measurement, and usually snap a photo of them as well.

I know how to properly handle them though, and that is the key, regardless of whether they are in season or in the slot.

S.

Both are illegal to be in your possession, according to the letter of the law.

I could care less either way. I take pics of OOS fish all the time, and I will continue to do so. I also retain my slot fish long enough for a measurement, and usually snap a photo of them as well.

I know how to properly handle them though, and that is the key, regardless of whether they are in season or in the slot.

S.

One can be legally angled for, the other can't. You don't see a difference?

As far as taking pics of OOS fish? Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat. I hope you aren't counting those as PB's, lol!

Yes, I clearly see the difference, but I don't feel I'm harming the fish in either situation, and don't think anyone has or will ever be charged for it either.

I would have to get very lucky to beat any of my PB's, and they for sure are NOT out of season.

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Like I said, i could care less either way, what you do!

S.

that is what i am trying to say, everyone seems worried about a charge from a co take the damn pic and let it go I not worried about what the co thinks

that is what i am trying to say, everyone seems worried about a charge from a co take the damn pic and let it go I not worried about what the co thinks

I could see the CO get on someone for taking a pic of a OOS fish, but not one that's in season and out of the slot.. That seems a bit silly.

I started this thread not because I am worried about getting charged by a CO, as I realize the chance of a CO coming up on you as you hook and land a musky is very low. It just bothers me that the regulations in Ontario leave room discretion on this issue. Why can't it be clearly stated that the angler is allowed to take pictures and measurements of a fish that is under the slot limit? (As is the law in some states) That would stop a "rogue" CO with an agenda from charging someone for taking a picture with a fish, which may occur after the fact.

I understand the frustration that some people have about this issue, but I think it is worthy of discussion.

Again I'm not worried about getting charged, as I realize the chances are slim, it just irks me that theoretically a CO could potentially charge me for taking a pic of a 40" musky if he saw me in the act, or theoretically saw a pic of me holding one. Something about the smells bad to me.

Again I'm not worried about getting charged, as I realize the chances are slim, it just irks me that theoretically a CO could potentially charge me for taking a pic of a 40" musky if he saw me in the act, or theoretically saw a pic of me holding one. Something about the smells bad to me.

What really needs to happen, is that the Regs need to be re-written to remove the possibilty of the CO using his discretion, and present them in a way that leaves no place for interpretation by angler or CO.

Example

It is against the law to remove from the water to photograph or measure any OOS species or a fish which is visibly under or over the stated legal size limit for harvesting.

Or something along those lines.dunno.gif

You got 6 pages of debate and really your asking the same question that I believe as been answered several times in many different ways.

go fishing or get laid or grab a sock give it up or something

I'm asking the same question because it has not been answered in my opinion. I share the opinion, as others do as well, that the discretion given to CO's in this instance is unnecessary. If you grow tired of this thread than stop opening and reading it. Do not make inflammatory remarks in an attempt to get a similar response. I will not respond in a similar fashion as I would like this thread to stay open so that those still wanting to discuss this issue can.

Thank you for adding nothing.