trolling motor

Lunatic

i want to buy a used trolling motor,and the plan would be to make it into a bow mount instead of transom mounted. i figured all i would need is the bracket to mount up on the bow. but doing a search online i cant find these anywhere. so im beginning to wonder if there is more to it than simply bolting up a regular trolling motor to a bow.anyone know anything?

*oops wrong section move please*

Edited by Lunatic

i want to buy a used trolling motor,and the plan would be to make it into a bow mount instead of transom mounted. i figured all i would need is the bracket to mount up on the bow. but doing a search online i cant find these anywhere. so im beginning to wonder if there is more to it than simply bolting up a regular trolling motor to a bow.anyone know anything?

*oops wrong section move please*

I guess, it can be done. You can reverse the head so that the handle points to the rear. You will have to make a bracket to mount the motor. If you have a bit of electrical know-how, you could install a remote pedal for turning the motor on and off and maybe even change speeds. To steer it, you will have to hold the handle.

I don't think all that work is worth doing. You would be much better off buying a bowmount electric motor.

It depends on the style of your boat and whether you have a suitable platform at the bow to mount a bow -mount motor. I suspect because you're thinking about using a transom mount motor that you do not. If that is the case it's really quite simple to make a bracket or block and mount it to the gunnel. Wiring is fairly easy also. For a safe hookup, place the battery at the back of the boat and run your proper gauge wire to the bow and install a trolling motor quick disconnect plug. MinnKota sells the male/female kit. Remember to install a fuse. I had this setup on my 14" tinny for years.

It depends on the style of your boat and whether you have a suitable platform at the bow to mount a bow -mount motor. I suspect because you're thinking about using a transom mount motor that you do not. If that is the case it's really quite simple to make a bracket or block and mount it to the gunnel. Wiring is fairly easy also. For a safe hookup, place the battery at the back of the boat and run your proper gauge wire to the bow and install a trolling motor quick disconnect plug. MinnKota sells the male/female kit. Remember to install a fuse. I had this setup on my 14" tinny for years.

so can i turn the head/handle of the motor facing me?

sorry,never owned a trolling motor before so its all very new to me.

What kind of boat is this going on? Thats thef first question that needs to be answered before anyone could say what he way to go is. For a bracket on say an open bow alluminum, all you really need is to mount a piece of plywood on the bow and your off to the races.

What kind of boat is this going on? Thats thef first question that needs to be answered before anyone could say what he way to go is. For a bracket on say an open bow alluminum, all you really need is to mount a piece of plywood on the bow and your off to the races.

its going on a 14' aluminum open bow boat. i would make a platform as well as a small casting deck.

so can i turn the head/handle of the motor facing me?

sorry,never owned a trolling motor before so its all very new to me.

In short, yes. But I'd check the specific model before you buy it. There are some lesser known manufacturers of trolling motors which may cut costs and not offer it. Easy to check first.

Go for a bow mount. You will also want to add a seat post to lean on. Once you have done that your golden. for a 14 footer anythign in the 40-55pound 12 volt range will do just fine unless your in heavy wind or really strong current. make sure you buy a NEW deep cycle. Get a proper marine deep cycle, car quest, crappy tire, bass pro all sell these. You will also want a charger. Most deep cycle chargers use a variable charge rate, to get the most juice into the batteries.

For the trolling motor deck, measure the size of the base on the angle you want it(Typically pointed to the right)

Use a cardboard as a template on the deck. Just place it on top and from underneath trace it out from the inside. cut it and use it as a template to cut the plywood. 3/4 exterior is fine, marine grade is better

Then use some contact cement spray and carpet it.

Take a 2x4 and trace it as well making it slightly larger to go across from side to side at the back of your board and at the front of your board. Attatch it with appropriate screws/bolts and your ready to go.

If you do it right the plywood deck for the trolling motor should sit flush with the gunwales of the boat. If you want storage for your battery you can build a little enclosure under the deck you have built.

Its not really that hard to do but a bow mount will be awesome for you for fishing. The only thing to keep in mind is the cover may not fit right if you have one. Also with the string, if its too long it will be really hard to lift the motor out of the water.

As for the trolling motor, if your getting a used one I would go with a manual or cable steer. They typically have less issues. the electric foot plate ones often give people a hastle.

For brands, MinnKota and Humminbird both have there following. I would stay away from the other brands, as parts may be harder to find.

Alwasy keep a spare lock pin with you, cause if it break you will be in for a long day on the water. You will know what teh lock pin is when you get your motor.

Really its not that hard to do and you will have rgeat satisfaction when yout out on the water. I can almost guarantee you that you will be replacing the handle style trolling motor with a foot pedal one before long. So if you can get a good deal scrape up the extra coin. :)

nice. a lot of valuable information here thanks.

I forgot to mention you are going to be adding alot of weight to your boat at the front, so you may want to get a rough idea of the weight your adding before you build everything and load that weight into your boat to make sure it still drives properly. You can use the battery to counter act some of the plywood weigt by moving the battery further back. If you have a 25hp or larger you should be just fine. Even a 20 should be ok pushing it all out of the water.

don't forget, Ideally the minimal ammount of trim used to keep the boat up on plane the faster and more efficient your boat will run.

The less weight in the front the better you are for speed and fuel efficiency.

However if you have too much weight in the back your motor may not have enough power to push the boat up onto plane. Most bass boats run on the ragged edge of not being able to get on plane. This is by design though to get the most top end speed possible.

The bow mount is so much more convenient, and making a mounting plate is easy.

Just buy a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum, fit it the the bow of your boat, drill some holes along the side and use some rivets to hold it on. Then just mark out the position and mounting holes for you motor drill them out and slap your motor on.

As for the deck, I made an easily removable one for my boat. (It lays on top of my middle and front bench.) I was going to use cardboard as a template but that was a pain in the :asshat:. I just took some measurements, cut it down until it fit, and left some over hang in the carpet so it goes up the side of the boat and nothing can fall down the sides underneath the deck.