Guelph Lake

luclarochelle

Probably going out onto Guelph Lake now, Puslinch has little to no ice.

Its going to be the first time out on Guelph Lake!

I was wondering if anyone could let me know where to access the lake (what road) and where to fish for pike, perch and crappies?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Luc

Here's your answer

http://www.grandriver.ca/Newsroom/News.cfm?id=572

"January 10, 2011

Stay off the ice at Guelph Lake

Guelph Lake Conservation Area is closed for the winter season, but that hasn’t stopped some people from venturing out onto the ice.

The Grand River Conservation Authority wants to warn them that they are putting their safety at risk and could open themselves up to charges of trespassing.

The GRCA used to run an ice-fishing program on Guelph Lake but dropped it a few years ago. When the program was in place, GRCA staff would check ice thickness daily to ensure it was safe. When the ice was too thin, the program would be shut down until it was safe to resume. GRCA staff were also on hand to deal with any emergencies that might arise.

However, now that the ice fishing program is no longer offered, ice thickness is not monitored and GRCA staff may not be available to help if an angler runs into difficulty.

Guelph Lake is a working reservoir, and water levels can rise or fall quickly, meaning ice can become thin or unstable in a very short period of time and without warning.

Avid anglers can go ice-fishing at three other GRCA parks where winter programs are in place. The GRCA offers ice fishing at Shade’s Mills in Cambridge, Pinehurst Lake near Paris, and Belwood Lake near Fergus. Conditions are monitored daily in these locations to ensure the safety of those out on the ice.

For more information on ice-fishing and other winter activities at GRCA parks, visit the winter activities page at Winter Activities Update ."

You can fish outside of the conservation area but I am not sure about ice thickness, if puslinch does not have enough ice i would be cautious on guelph lake.

Edited by torco

Here's your answer

http://www.grandrive...News.cfm?id=572

"January 10, 2011

Stay off the ice at Guelph Lake

Guelph Lake Conservation Area is closed for the winter season, but that hasn’t stopped some people from venturing out onto the ice.

The Grand River Conservation Authority wants to warn them that they are putting their safety at risk and could open themselves up to charges of trespassing.

The GRCA used to run an ice-fishing program on Guelph Lake but dropped it a few years ago. When the program was in place, GRCA staff would check ice thickness daily to ensure it was safe. When the ice was too thin, the program would be shut down until it was safe to resume. GRCA staff were also on hand to deal with any emergencies that might arise.

However, now that the ice fishing program is no longer offered, ice thickness is not monitored and GRCA staff may not be available to help if an angler runs into difficulty.

Guelph Lake is a working reservoir, and water levels can rise or fall quickly, meaning ice can become thin or unstable in a very short period of time and without warning.

Avid anglers can go ice-fishing at three other GRCA parks where winter programs are in place. The GRCA offers ice fishing at Shade’s Mills in Cambridge, Pinehurst Lake near Paris, and Belwood Lake near Fergus. Conditions are monitored daily in these locations to ensure the safety of those out on the ice.

For more information on ice-fishing and other winter activities at GRCA parks, visit the winter activities page at Winter Activities Update ."

You can fish outside of the conservation area but I am not sure about ice thickness, if puslinch does not have enough ice i would be cautious on guelph lake.

Isn't this message from last year? It's dated 2012

As far as I know the policy has not changed. I could not find a more up to date memo.

It was less about unsafe ice and more about not trespassing. I remembering reading the GRCA issue a warning to people about Guelph lake being off limits for ice fishing in the local paper back in December or January.

Edited by torco

As far as I know the policy has not changed. I could not find a more up to date memo.

It was less about unsafe ice and more about not trespassing. I remembering reading the GRCA issue a warning to people about Guelph lake being off limits for ice fishing in the local paper back in December or January.

Do they have a phone number that I could call and ask them?

Most updated info from http://www.grandriver.ca/Newsroom/News.cfm?id=129

"February 13, 2012

Winter Activities Update

Winter Activities at our Parks

For detailed information on winter activity services, including park entry fees, ski, snowshoe and ice hut rental availability, hours of operation and contact information on each park, visit the Winter Activity page.

Ice fishing

Shade's Mills Conservation Area - Cambridge Closed.

Belwood Lake Conservation Area - Fergus Open.

Pinehurst Lake Conservation Area - Paris Closed."

So Belwood Lake CA is open, Sade's Mill and Pinehurst are on the "waiting list", and Guelph Lake CA is not even on the GRCA's waiting list.

Edited by fishing

Most updated info from http://www.grandrive...News.cfm?id=129

"February 13, 2012

Winter Activities Update

Winter Activities at our Parks

For detailed information on winter activity services, including park entry fees, ski, snowshoe and ice hut rental availability, hours of operation and contact information on each park, visit the Winter Activity page.

Ice fishing

Shade's Mills Conservation Area - Cambridge Closed.

Belwood Lake Conservation Area - Fergus Open.

Pinehurst Lake Conservation Area - Paris Closed."

So Belwood Lake CA is open, Sade's Mill and Pinehurst are on the "waiting list", and Guelph Lake CA is not even on the GRCA's waiting list.

Alright thanks very much! :)

Hi

Sorry, we are not open for ice fishing.

We have not been open all season, and we will not be opening this year.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Gary

Gary MacMillan

Superintendent

Guelph Lake C.A.

7743 Conservation Dr.,RR#4

Guelph ON N1H 6J1

(519) 824-5061 x3151

[email protected]

The lake will not be opening this year :(

Edited by luclarochelle

Its been a few years since they have opened up for ice fishing, I think its partially to help protect the quality of the fishery.

That said you can fish the part of the lake outside of the conservation area. It can be accessed from wellington rd 29 but I would be very cautious venturing on to the ice as it has flow.

Its been a few years since they have opened up for ice fishing, I think its partially to help protect the quality of the fishery.

That said you can fish the part of the lake outside of the conservation area. It can be accessed from wellington rd 29 but I would be very cautious venturing on to the ice as it has flow.

Oh okay, thanks for the heads up!