Tin Boat

fish-miester

Hey everyone, long time since i have made a post, been working too much !

just had a question or two.. maybe you guys can help me out

I have a 14' tin boat that i have been using and well am going to be rockin' untill.. well untill i cant haha and well I wanted to seal some rivets as well as i notticed the styro in the seats are becoming water-logged, was just currious what the best products you have found to be to stop leaks, as well would i be fine just removing the syro and making storage ? or what would be my best bet as far as that goes.?

thank you for any and all help !

a fellow angler

- Alex

Have you tried to tighten the rivets yet? I only use sealant on rivets that have been pounded flat, and can not be tightened anymore. At that point, it's either replace the rivet, or seal it.

If your only option is to seal, then I would try 3M 4200 or 5200 marine adhesive. You can get it at Canadian tire in the marine section. The stuff that I used takes a good 3 days to cure. But once it's set up, it stays flexable, and doesn't leak a drop.

As for the foam.. That's preference. I would like to have it for safety purposes. But my boat doesn't currently have any foam in it at all.

Have you tried to tighten the rivets yet? I only use sealant on rivets that have been pounded flat, and can not be tightened anymore. At that point, it's either replace the rivet, or seal it.

If your only option is to seal, then I would try 3M 4200 or 5200 marine adhesive. You can get it at Canadian tire in the marine section. The stuff that I used takes a good 3 days to cure. But once it's set up, it stays flexable, and doesn't leak a drop.

As for the foam.. That's preference. I would like to have it for safety purposes. But my boat doesn't currently have any foam in it at all.

The 4200 is slow cure and the 5200 is a fast cure.

The 5200 cures in 24 hrs.

Awesome guys thank you, I have already taken all the foam out of the two rear bench seats, but I havnt done anything with the middle bench as of yet. but am thinking now that i will remove the foam.. and maybe use it for storage or just lighten the load.

as far as the rivets. I personaly have hardly looked into them other then i marked the ones that have been leaking. and well its an older boat that was handed down to me from my old fishing partner (my grandfather) so I just wanted to keep it up and running.

Thanks again guys!

Do as you please with regards to the foam flotation; you won’t be breaking any laws by removing it. But have you put enough thought into not having this foam and then happen to become swamped?

The foam is there originally to stop the boat from sinking any further then the gunnels.

Without it she’ll be heading for the bottom; taking away whatever protection you still had from the storm that just swamped you. Storage is great in a small boat; but floating is way better, in my opinion?

Dan.

Do as you please with regards to the foam flotation; you won’t be breaking any laws by removing it. But have you put enough thought into not having this foam and then happen to become swamped?

The foam is there originally to stop the boat from sinking any further then the gunnels.

Without it she’ll be heading for the bottom; taking away whatever protection you still had from the storm that just swamped you. Storage is great in a small boat; but floating is way better, in my opinion?

Dan.

Very good point dan. i was actually thinking of buying some of the closed cell expansion foam, and adding it into the boat. where i could.

thanks again