Maybe time to give Quinte a 2nd chance

huey graphite

Usually this time of year, I start the planning for our annual spring fishing trip. We started it about 12 years ago with myself 2 brothers and 2-3 friends. Over the years a few have bowed out and others have taken their place. Over the 12 years we fished Hay Bay in Quinte twice but the last time was about 6 years ago. All other trips have been to the South Shore/Calendar Bay area of Nipissing but the past few years have been unproductive (that's an understatement). We typically go the 1st or 2nd weekend in June. It's time to do my homework.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

HG

Edited by huey graphite

Usually this time of year, I start the planning for our annual spring fishing trip. We started it about 12 years ago with myself 2 brothers and 2-3 friends. Over the years a few have bowed out and others have taken their place. Over the 12 years we fished Hay Bay in Quinte twice but the last time was about 6 years ago. All other trips have been to the South Shore/Calendar Bay area of Nipissing but the past few years have been unproductive (that's an understatement). We typically go the 1st or 2nd weekend in June. It's time to do my homework.

HG

Hey my suggestion to you is too not go with the great expectations of catching fish. We do a fall musky trip 14 guys and I would not change it for the world we book it after the prime season, have trophies and put the focus on the food and beverages and poker. The fish is just a bonus and no expectations leave little to no room for dissapointment. But if it is all about the fish because I understand, and have been ther and time is hard to get away. I know a guide on erie that will put more spring walleye in your boat than you can imagine. Go with him day one and then use what he taught you and you will be fine for fish I promise. His name is Jerermy Brooks and he runs Trophy Takers Charters. He works his regular job with my brother and just gave me pointers over the phone and I rarely actually never get skunked on erie. hope this helps. He can tell you where to rent cabins.

HG

If it is bay of quinte call jeff or paul from quinte fishing team, there great guys and guides, they will put you on to fish. I strongly suggest getting a guide for a day. You will not regret it with these two services i told you about. If you can't get in touch with them pm me and I'll get their numbers for you.

Yes, give Quinte a go. Great body of water. Not just in the fall either. The time you described is good for walleye in general on any body of water as the fish have fully recovered from the spawn and the hordes of summer baitfish have not shown up yet.

Used to go to Trent Derby there each year on opening walleye season--midnight. Though many used a small minnow on an orange jig with success, I used pretty-much the same rig I used there for years. Walleye, Pike (I was told no pike there (sandy bottom), but there was as I caught one).

I used twin 1/2" tear drop Florescent Orange spinners on a 3" lead. Capped with a #3 or 4 tri-sharpened hook and either a minnow, live worm (injected) or leach. Two-to four feet back 1/8 ounce weight. Then drifted and let it lay on the bottom keeping the line taught. Since there was always a group of us, I know from my fishin buds lack of results and their Not using the Flor Orange spinners, the spinners are necessary and will increase the catch 2-3 fold. The colder the water or front, the slower the presentation and retrieve.

Went the last two springs and each was completely different. 2 years ago we couldn't keep them off our lines (over 100 fish for two guys in three days); last year wasn't anything like that. We might have caught 5 fish in three days and all were at night.

Went the last two springs and each was completely different. 2 years ago we couldn't keep them off our lines (over 100 fish for two guys in three days); last year wasn't anything like that. We might have caught 5 fish in three days and all were at night.

That is the reason I would take a guide they will show you where the fish are, day one and the rest will be history, those fish have so much space. How has the locks been in lindsay, live there for two years and just loved the walleye out of there. Do they still produce good numbers.