Bass fishing in the states?

mattp33

I am trying to plan a trip with the boat down south. Does anyone have any idea where i can find soft water and bass? We know we are looking at about an 8 hr drive. This will be my first trip doing something like this and need some help.

Where to go?

What licences I will need?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

8 Hrs from toronto call it. We would also like some warmer weather with NO snow lol We are thinking somewhere in Tennessee? Mayble Tulsa?

LOL they've got more snow than us wallbash.gif

8hrs from tronto you might think more south west, west virgina or virgina would be in your travel time.

FYI WV. border is 3hrs. from Erie & your 3hrs from Erie just for reference!

Thanks guys. I got some research to do! I hope I can make this happen. I will bring back lots of pics! I know I will need a state fishing licence that I can buy online. I cant find anything regarding taking my boat. I dont think I need any thing for it but a guy at work told me I will need to get a boating licences for some states.? Anybody hear of this?

$50.00 for non-residents to fish? Pros must have a big wallet, full of fishing licences.

Thanks guys. I got some research to do! I hope I can make this happen. I will bring back lots of pics! I know I will need a state fishing licence that I can buy online. I cant find anything regarding taking my boat. I dont think I need any thing for it but a guy at work told me I will need to get a boating licences for some states.? Anybody hear of this?

$50.00 for non-residents to fish? Pros must have a big wallet, full of fishing licences.

Depends on the state for the boat. In PA as long as the boat is registerd your ok but each state has there own regs. Yes you will need an out of state fishing licence & thats why the pro's have so many sponsors!!

More important make sure you have the state & coast gaurd required equipment on your boat PFDS, FLARES, AUDIBLE, THROWABLE CUSHION, EXTINGUSHER YATA YATA YATA & so on!! whistling.gif

If you've never been down here you might realize why we love to come up there!!

In Virginia you have some great choices. Right now The lower Potomac is one of our premier areas for largemouth bass. There is an area called Pohick Bay located in an area called Lorton Virginia. The time for spring fishing is around Mid March if you want to get into some of the best fishing time of the year. If you have all of the item required for Canadian Boating they will be fine for this area. You can purchase your license on line or at any local Wal Mart in the area. If you decide to come to the area send me a P.M. and I will go indepth as to areas that you can fish within a 1/2 hour of the launch point. You also can fish for Perch, Snake heads, Stripers and the big Blue Catfish. The Stripers will be hit or miss on the big ones but the yearlings are here all year around. The average Pike combo will be fine for what you fish for and the muskie combos are for the Blue Catfish. Depending on timing I might be able to hook up with you or have one of my buddies take you out for the day. Pohick is a park and has a nice launch and their are golf courses at the same location. The area has hotels that are close and range from the mom and pop to national chains. This area is located 1 hours from Washington if you want to see the sights and has a wealth of Civil War sites to entertain you.

pohick and area charts

Art

Many, many years ago, a buddy and I took a drive to Eufala, Alabama for a week right around this time of year. Mind you it was more like 18 hours straight driving.

The fishing was poor to say the least, but we really didn't know what we were doing. Had a blast regardless.

As Hirk just mentioned, Kerr Reservoir (Buggs island) alongside Lake Gaston is a great spring trip. Look up South Hill, Va on the map. I went every March Break for years until my friend passed away. Weather is unpredictable, frost some years, 70's the next. I used to do the trip down over 2 days, it would be about 12-13 hours non stop. Licenses are no problem, I used to get them at the local gas station. People were really friendly down there!

Google the Knoxville TN area, there are a number of large lakes in the area that are well known for their bass fishing. It is though a hard 8 hour drive for me to them, and I am in Ohio. The lakes there rarely freeze.

Kentucky Lake and Dale Hollow, but also a bit more of a drive from Toronto.

http://www.idcide.com/weather/tn/knoxville.htm

When are you planning to go? Eight hours from Toronto is not going to get you to much warmer weather. At one time or another I've fished from farther north than Temagami to Big O in Florida. So with a better feel for your timing I can provide some possibilities.