Fishing with my son

sneak_e_pete

Hi there, I have a 4 1/2 year old boy, a 3 year old boy and a 4 month old boy. This year, I took my oldest son ice fishing for the fist time to Nipissing the second week of January.

For all you fathers out there who are as passionate about fishing as I am, you know how important this was to me. It was just him and I for 3 days in the hut.

I was unsure about how it would go....I mean, how do you entertain a 4 year old for 3 days in a hut....but it was truly awesome. He loved every minute of it and got right into it. I don't think I even touched a minnow the whole time we were there because he wanted to do it. To top if off, he caught the biggest fish of the trip. I was outside having a smoke and he yelled "Daddy...I think I have a fish". I peeked in the door and the rod was doubled over. He caught a HUGE ling and had brought it all the way up to the hole...all I had to do was lift it out....he was so proud.

The fish that we caught, he handled like a pro...no fear...no hesitation whatsoever. We played Trouble, Candyland, watched some movies on my laptop and ate junk food...what a great time. He asks me almost every day when we are going to go again. I have already booked for next year.

For all you fathers out there...just do it. You won't regret it!

Hi there, I have a 4 1/2 year old boy, a 3 year old boy and a 4 month old boy. This year, I took my oldest son ice fishing for the fist time to Nipissing the second week of January.

For all you fathers out there who are as passionate about fishing as I am, you know how important this was to me. It was just him and I for 3 days in the hut.

I was unsure about how it would go....I mean, how do you entertain a 4 year old for 3 days in a hut....but it was truly awesome. He loved every minute of it and got right into it. I don't think I even touched a minnow the whole time we were there because he wanted to do it. To top if off, he caught the biggest fish of the trip. I was outside having a smoke and he yelled "Daddy...I think I have a fish". I peeked in the door and the rod was doubled over. He caught a HUGE ling and had brought it all the way up to the hole...all I had to do was lift it out....he was so proud.

The fish that we caught, he handled like a pro...no fear...no hesitation whatsoever. We played Trouble, Candyland, watched some movies on my laptop and ate junk food...what a great time. He asks me almost every day when we are going to go again. I have already booked for next year.

For all you fathers out there...just do it. You won't regret it!

Right on that sound like a great trip, there in nothing better than realizing that you for the first time in your fishing life you hoped to be out fished.

who thought being a dad could be so enjoyable. Nice to hear.

Memories like that are priceless. Get the camcorder out for sure.

But be careful as they get a bit older. I think I over did it with my 3 boys.

They need action. If you target bigger fish like muskie, salmon and the fishing is slow, they

can get turned off to fishing. My guys weren't keen anymore after 16 yrs old. They're

interested again now that they are older.

Edited by captpierre

my son is 13 and says he wants to go out but I couldn't see him go that long without his XBox, kudos to you!

you just got to take him out and he might surprise you. Get him to balance out his spare time. Mine kept asking for a few years and when

I did finally take him, we went full on and he got the bug.

my 14yr old fishes with me every weekend. We did Nipissing a month ago and he caught the most and largest whitefish.

During the soft water season we fish from our pontoon every weekend.

I now ask him about all the new and exciting stuff.

this I can take with me, and hope as he gets older he will still have the passion and want to fish with his old man.