kessagami outposts

Guest kitchener boy

Guest kitchener boy

hi guys and girls. am flying into TWOPEAKS LAKE in the end of june. was wondering if anyone has been there, and whats a good BLACKFLY REPELLENT to use or are the rep.clothing a good idea. dont want to ruin it for me and my boy. thanks a lot for any info. dave mcquay from kitchener. [email protected].

o

Hey Dave, as far as bugs go the cabin at Twopeak is comfortable, but rustic ;) .

Make sure you bring lots of duct tape to cover up holes and cracks around the doors and windows.

That time of year I'd also bring headnets and lots of spray repellent to apply on your clothes.

Light coloured, lightweight long sleeve shirts are important.

As far as fishing goes, Twopeak is a very good walleye lake for numbers of fish in the 1-3lb range.

All you'll need IMO is a good selection of 1/8 and 1/4 ounce jigheads and a bunch of 3" twister tails in a variety of colours. A flat of worms to tip the jigs with wouldn't hurt either.

If you're into pike there's lots of small ones. Bigger fish would most likely be the exception.

Twopeak is a small lake very typical of the James Bay lowlands: shallow, mostly dishpan, somewhat featureless.

Concentrate your efforts on the several prominent points and you'll do fine. Also, fish the edges of the reed beeds, especially look for reed points that jut out into the lake.

cheers, Mike

Wow, another party going with cocrane air services. I am going into Edgar, june 2nd.. I have flown with cocrane air 20 years now. I fished twopeak a few years ago. We caught 3, 9lb walleye on that lake. The cabin set up is really nice. Its right on the lake. Mark sent in a film crew, they interviewed us about all the logging activity, and how we felt about it. We fished twopeak , twice.. Both times were awesome!! You can call me, I can fill you in with some good info..... I am really getting excited about going to Edgar Lake.. Make sure you take live minnows and worms. We have 6 of us going this year, so we will load up on the live bait.. Last year, we went into yesterday lake, we took 120 dozen minnows, 2 lbs of leeches, and a flat of nightcrawlers.. All minnows were used, most of the nightcrawlers were used, and we only had a few leeches left... I would bet you i caught 1,000 walleye myself.. My uncle got a 12 lb eye in yesterday!! Man, I cannot wait to get up there!!!

PS..If you need any info, lets talk..

Hi Dave ! I Use to live in Gogama (X-MNR Employee) and learned the hard way on how to deal with the bugs. I'm not familiar with the size of lake that you will be fishing, but generally the bugs are not to bad while on the lake unless you're fishing the shorline. Be prepared @ the dock after evening fishing.

Any of the oil based fly-dope worked well for me, be sure to cover the following areas :

- behind the ears

- around the ankles and wrists.

Be sure that the repellent does not come into contact with painted surfaces (jigs) as it tends to melt away some paints. ( if it can soften paint, whats it doing to us! )

Also, avoid scented soap, shompoo and anti-perspirants

Regards

whitee

Yes, take coils for the cabin, they are great.. The last few years the bugs have not been bad at all. Last year, in yesterday, we fished with shorts on most days.. I guess it depends on the weather... I cannot wait untill may 31.... Here We come Edgar lake...

Guest kitchener boy

thanks spoonman, whitee, solopaddler and beerman. your help has been apprciated. still 2 months away, but cant wait. will keep reading board, as very helpful and everyone seems very friendly dave [email protected]

Hi Dave ! I Use to live in Gogama (X-MNR Employee) and learned the hard way on how to deal with the bugs. I'm not familiar with the size of lake that you will be fishing, but generally the bugs are not to bad while on the lake unless you're fishing the shorline. Be prepared @ the dock after evening fishing.

Any of the oil based fly-dope worked well for me, be sure to cover the following areas :

- behind the ears

- around the ankles and wrists.

Be sure that the repellent does not come into contact with painted surfaces (jigs) as it tends to melt away some paints. ( if it can soften paint, whats it doing to us! )

Also, avoid scented soap, shompoo and anti-perspirants

Regards

whitee

this is going to help me a lot thanks whitee im heading up to gogama for a week in early august

We have always done well with minnow baits in the area as well, it makes a nice break from jigging all the time. Either casting or trolling will get you eyes. My favs in that area are basic colours like silver/black, gold/black, maybe a couple green/silver Rapala Taildancers and Rapala X Raps are my favorites.

As far as the bugs, all good advice here, guess I'm lucky because I get used to them after a couple of days.

been with cochrane air 7 times. great fishing everytime. never been to twopeak. while you are at the base quiz everyone for info on the lake, especially john the pilot. as for the bugs i use vicks vapour rub around the neck. i would also buy a bed net.!!!!!! it would be the best 12 dollars you could spend. have a great time jnic

I've lived up here for 7 years and have never even suffered 1 mosquito bite. Seriously, I can't remember anything but a spider bite, blackfly bites and an ant bite on my shoulder while camping in the swamp during a real serious Canada day heat. Green nasties, grey wimpies, brown elusives and killer whites they've all tried. The whites riding the first north winds off the Bay have come closest as they don't land, they just dive bomb. Missisaks have come close on the ankles but still haven't taken a chunk.

The key's to beating mosquitoes... hard liquour.

Just ask beerman... three 9lb'ers on Twopeak... he had to be drinking more than just beer. lol. j/k

Bugs aren't bad on the water. So, keep fishing and never go to shore.

LOL Moose, Wanna here a funny story.. We were up at unknown lake, with cochrane. Four of us went to that lake. We caught alot of fish, as usual. My uncles buddy woke up one morning, still buzzin pretty good. He decided to go for a walk/jog , for what I have no idea?? Well he decided to wear shorts, bad move.. Next day, when he woke up, he had all these lumps on his legs.. He got the jiggers?? Have you ever heard of those bugs, they embed and burrry themselves under your skin??? He was not to happy the rest of the week....

PS..As far as the 3, 9lb walleye on twopeak, we did catch 3 of them.. We weigh all of the big fish we catch. And I was drinking whiskey at the time..