Anything in fishing that you've never been able to do?

Dave Bailey

Got a Google map location? I've taken a few virtual drives around the area but I can't seem to find anything that rings a bell, but after all this time that's hardly surprising. I seem to recall it as being quite shallow, tons of small rocks, maybe 30' wide (but that's really stretching the memory), and very overgrown with trees at the edges, I think we had to wade rather than walk a non-existent shoreline. I believe it went under the road at about a right angle, but again, it's been a long time. I should call him up and see if he remembers any more than I do. He probably does, I've got a good memory but it's short. laugh.gif

I bet there is a brdge off the C trail envolved also known as onapping falls, very rocky & winding river.

I still have some of those 2 blade spinners Dave. My Dad left my Brother and I a bunch of old tackle, and i have about a dozen of them. Just put a hook and worm or minnow, and fish.

If you want, i can send you a few up. No problem

Oh I've got a number of those, just haven't got around to using them yet. But I've made a sort of pledge that this year I'll try for a few of the salmonidae, so maybe they'll get rigged.

good.gif

Check out my Dads old rod.He used it back when he was a kid, guideing with my grandfather.Shakespeare President on and Eagle Claw rod.

IMGP1280.jpg

IMGP1279.jpg

I'm of two minds when I see stuff like this. Part of me says that it's too precious to risk breaking, but another part says that it was meant to be used, and therefore should be. If it breaks, it dies an honourable death. And really, what is the difference between one that's on display that works and one that's on display and doesn't work? If it isn't working, it doesn't matter, it's only good for display! I would have a professional take a look at it and evaluate it for its current estimated durablity, availability of parts, etc., and if all looks good, put it into action. If not, get it mounted on a nice background, with some pics of your Dad around it. Preferably pics of him using it while he's fishing!

Tried braid last year, humungous snarl on my second cast. And the third, and the fifth... Went straight back to Tightline within 1/2 an hour and had it replaced with mono. The braid is now being used for home-made leaders.

A few years ago I spent some time on Baffin Island building a hospital up there, I took my pole and tackle of course as we were right on a bay and the Arctic Char were plentiful. About a week in I started having the same problem. My problem was I forgot to bring more line so had no choice but to untangle what was a freakin disaster of a birdsnest. After 2 or so hours of mind boggling magic I got it! Next cast BAM!! did it again!!!! :wallbash: Turns out I had a small nick in my spool cap some 220 grit wet, followed by a steel wool massage and I was back in business.

Do a thorough check of your equipment I couldn't see the nick but could feel it with my fingernails when I rubbed across and that was all it took. Hope you get it all figured out. What kind of rod are you using? Maybe its too soft or hard for your casting style. :dunno:

One VERY common cause for this type of problem on spinning reels (and I am surprised everyone says they have never seen it before) ... is OVERSPOOLING the reel .... when you do that the line tends to fly off the reel too loosely when you cast (making you feel like you can cast farther) but unless you are VERY careful EVERY time you start your retrieve you create a mess that quickly turns into a disaster.

On the first pass reading this thread my assessment would have been line twist ... but this more often is manifested at the rod tip where the line keeps getting tangled around the tip ... if you dont over-spool then this sounds like it is either drag related (ruled out because you said it was tight) ... or .. as I used to find way back in the day with my old Mitchel 300's .. the anti-reverse dog would lose a tooth or two and the reel would not properly prevent 'back-reeling' - and thus a mess at the spool (not so much a problem with newer reels but was a problem with EVERY single Mitchell I owned (still not sure why I loved them so much :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think they have suggested everything so I'm just going to answer the question, for some reason I have never been able to hook into a pike, don't know what it is, I've tried countless lures in countless situations I really hope that I can get the hang of it this year because I've already entered a pike tourny!

I think they have suggested everything so I'm just going to answer the question, for some reason I have never been able to hook into a pike, don't know what it is, I've tried countless lures in countless situations I really hope that I can get the hang of it this year because I've already entered a pike tourny!

Do what I do, target bass and catch pike instead. Happened to me on opening day last year. :wallbash:

One thing I've sometimes found successful is a stop and go retrieve with a spoon, maybe the old red and white Daredevle or a Five of Diamonds. Reel in fast, then stop and let it flutter down for a second before reeling again, pike will sometimes take it 'on the drop'.

Do what I do, target bass and catch pike instead. Happened to me on opening day last year. :wallbash:

One thing I've sometimes found successful is a stop and go retrieve with a spoon, maybe the old red and white Daredevle or a Five of Diamonds. Reel in fast, then stop and let it flutter down for a second before reeling again, pike will sometimes take it 'on the drop'.

I've tried all sorts of spoons, I think that it's in part because until this year I've been landlocked. Also incase you haven't noticed I can't drive yet and I'm in a gta suburb, kinda hard for me to get out whenever I want. :wallbash:

The birdsnest thing can be caused by a variety of things. Again, assuming you meant baitcaster, it sounds like it's not the way you put your line on the reel because if it was and you let it out when you backlash (slow troll forward let all the line straighten behind the boat then reel in with some tension) you'd get rid of the line twist. It sounds to me like you aren't setting up the brake correctly or if you are, overcasting. Overcasting is pretty common for young strong guys. If that could be your case try feeling the rod load and just making a smooth delivery. It could be a deficiency in your reel also, do you experience this with more than one reel? It could also be the wrong line for that reel. Anyone who uses a baitcaster will occaisionally get a birdsnest, I know I do, and it's usually caused by overcasting.

Edited by doubleheader

Mine would have to be,hitting a major run of salmon or steel head,and getting your limit as well as 5 or more for fun in a two hour period or so.Not complaining, but once to say I hit one. People I know say you wouldn't believe it,unless you saw it your self:whistling:OK.