Anything in fishing that you've never been able to do?

Dave Bailey

My friend had the same kind of problem Dave, and what he was doing was bouncing around the rod tip on the retrieve which was causing the line to spool too loose. He would reel in with the tip doing spastic elliptical movements up and down which would cause the line to lose tension. Try retrieving while pinching the line so it always has tension, if it still happens then it's probably a mechanical issue, if not then you know it's just slack line you're reeling for some reason. My buddy was able to do it with a St. Croix MH and a Stradic 3000 spooled with 40lb. PP, all my gear so I know it was working fine. When we switched gear he did the same thing on my gear, XH St.Croix with a ci4 4000 spooled with 40lb. PP, but not as bad because the XH rod tip wasn't whipping around as much on his retrieve. Good luck, hope you figure it out before the season really starts.

Dave, I remember you are by frenchmans, so is myMom. I am going there this weekend. I can meet you, fix your line problem and have you walking the dog in 2 casts. If you like.

Edited by Harrison

Dave, I remember you are by frenchmans, so is myMom. I am going there this weekend. I can meet you, fix your line problem and have you walking the dog in 2 casts. If you like.

Thanks for the offer, but I haven't picked up my 2012 license yet. I was out yesterday for the license free weekend, snarled in 3 casts, which probably led to my acerbic demeanor during some of this thread. And I'm not going to bother trying to learn to walk the dog anyway, I'm a firm believer in the old saying "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again, if it still doesn't work then give up, there's no sense being a damned fool about it!" :P

I've only seen a birds nest on a spinning when a friend "tried fishing" with my spinning reel upside down(on top) didn't realize he had no clue until I actually watched him reeling in. It was pure lolz. OP it def has to be something your doing wrong, I've had the same cheap shimano spining since I was a wee lad (also other gear since, obviously) It might be because I've recently started using a baitcast, but I can't remember the last time any of my spinning gear ever failed. EVER. Maybe work on your Chi, find a new balance. That's how I've worked through learning a baitcaster lol.

OP it def has to be something your doing wrong, ...

No question of that. There's no possible way it could be the equipment, as it happens no matter if I use my wife's rod, or either of the kid's ones, and their's are cheaper than mine. I do tend to 'baby' my wrist a bit due to an occasional arthritic twinge, but I can't believe that's the only reason. I'm leaning toward a structural problem in the wrist and/or elbow. No two people are exactly the same physiologically, I may just not be built right for handling a fishing rod.

Ok, lets do some detective work here, cause now i'm intrigued. How long have you been using a spinning reel Dave? I see you joined the forum in 2008, so for at least 4 years you have birdsnests?

BTW, the reel goes on the bottom of the rod, on a spincasterwhistling.gif just in case.dunno.gif

hey Dave ....Lawn Darts aside....this thread is actually a helpful thread for some of the Lurkers that might be experiencing similar issues...so with the theory " the only bad question...is the one that wasn't asked" you inadvertently may of helped someone else out....i guess we will know how many if the price of lawn darts doesnt skyrocket overnight :lol:

cheers!

Take up Harrison's offer and let him watch you to see what you are doing wrong. You don't need a fishing licence to practice casting, tie a bell sinker to your line or use a spoon with the hooks removed and you won't get into any trouble. Any angler ,like Harrison in your area will be able to sort out your casting difficulties.

I'm sure many of us have something that has always eluded us, but I've got two that are very frustrating. First, I've never been able to 'walk the dog', no matter how much I try. I have been trying for years, with different rods, reels, lines, and yet that damned Zara Spook refuses to act the way anyone else can get it. Never. I even had a guy try to show me once, and after trying for about half an hour we both gave up. I guess my wrists just aren't configured properly (bones, ligaments, whatever) so I can't get the proper action going.

Oh well, there are plenty of other techniques, so I've permanently given up on ever getting it to save myself the frustration. I just have to live with the undeniable fact that it isn't possible for me to do it.

The second is a lot more frustrating. I've rarely been able to go more than a dozen casts without having a massive birdnest develop that is usually only corrected by cutting off massive amounts of line. I was once told that it's the sign of a problem with whatever spinning reel I'm using, if so, it must be catching because every reel I've ever used goes the same way. So I've developed a routine; about a dozen casts, and then hook the end of the line to something, walk back until the reel is empty, and then walk forward reeling it back in under tension. Doesn't always work, sometimes it'll happen sooner so I'm reduced to hacking at line again. A couple of times I've made two trips in one day to the closest tackle shop to where I'm fishing just to have a new line spooled on.

Other than giving up fishing, any suggestions?

Awesome, I can help, rod tip up and wax about four feet of your braided line from the lure back, this floats the line, snap the tip like your playing the drums. The bait caster is alittle tougher, but loosen the magnets so the lure just starts to fall with the bail open, start at a slower fall and as you get better, you can let it fall faster allowing to cast your bait further. Another trick is to make a cast the pull out 10 to 15 extra feet of line, then put a peice of tape across the line on the reel, then reel in and cast normally. this will prevent the birdsnest from getting to deep in your reel. I got good at a bait caster years ago using this stuff. However I stopped using my bait caster reel, because I broke my rod, a couple years ago. Just purchased a new rod to get back into it, and I guarentee that I will have to learn all over again. No there is nothing I can`t do just things that I need to practice. Wouldnt it suck if you caught fish evertime or made that perfect cast. I don`t think I would enjoy fishing as much as I do. Funny though I find that this forum I one of the greatest tools I have ever used. Just think how good a fisherman I could have been If I only found this forum when I was younger and had the time.

cheers and good luck

I can't seem to catch salmonids for the life of me (Trout, Salmon etc etc). I don't know why. They just don't like me.

Blue fox #1 spinner silver blade blue bell, make sure you have a snapswivel, in the rivers late fall till ice up, you will be fine, very your speed, and the clearer the water the smaller the spinner. no bigger than 6lb test. loosen the drag the bows hit like a freight train.

I can't seem to catch salmonids for the life of me (Trout, Salmon etc etc). I don't know why. They just don't like me.

Dad showed me a way, over 40 years ago now. Somewhere along the highway near Shining Tree, if I recall correctly, he knew of a shallow river that held rainbows. We turned over rocks to get small worms, and put them on a hook attached to a small double-bladed spinner. With just simple tackle we waded in and just kept hooking them, not big ones but a nice enough size for the 'shore lunch' my mother cooked up in the trailer. Man, wish I could do that again.

Dad showed me a way, over 40 years ago now. Somewhere along the highway near Shining Tree, if I recall correctly, he knew of a shallow river that held rainbows. We turned over rocks to get small worms, and put them on a hook attached to a small double-bladed spinner. With just simple tackle we waded in and just kept hooking them, not big ones but a nice enough size for the 'shore lunch' my mother cooked up in the trailer. Man, wish I could do that again.

I still have some of those 2 blade spinners Dave. My Dad left my Brother and I a bunch of old tackle, and i have about a dozen of them. Just put a hook and worm or minnow, and fish.

If you want, i can send you a few up. No problemgood.gif

Check out my Dads old rod.He used it back when he was a kid, guideing with my grandfather.Shakespeare President on and Eagle Claw rod.

IMGP1280.jpg

IMGP1279.jpg

That combo looks like it's ready to go fishin with Mercman! You should take it out Musky fishing this summer canadian.gif

You think its strong enough? I was thinking Walleye. The line looks new, but its at least 30 years old.I wonder if the reel would like to meet braidw00t.gif

Pretty sure that would be the onapping off the 144 before the watershed!! smile.gif

Pretty sure that would be the onapping off the 144 before the watershed!! smile.gif

Got a Google map location? I've taken a few virtual drives around the area but I can't seem to find anything that rings a bell, but after all this time that's hardly surprising. I seem to recall it as being quite shallow, tons of small rocks, maybe 30' wide (but that's really stretching the memory), and very overgrown with trees at the edges, I think we had to wade rather than walk a non-existent shoreline. I believe it went under the road at about a right angle, but again, it's been a long time. I should call him up and see if he remembers any more than I do. He probably does, I've got a good memory but it's short. :lol: