Anything in fishing that you've never been able to do?

Dave Bailey

The other is, i LH retrieve with a Spinning reel, and i RH retrieve with a baitcater, but i cant do the opposite.It just feels like i am all thumbs when i try.dunno.gif People think its weird.

I don't think it is weird mercman, in fact it seems natural to me. I have always been a lefty on spinning reels and a righty on bait-casters for as long as I can remember.

Birds nests seem to come to me naturally too but only on bait-casters.

Your line is on backwards ... Really .

I do it a few times a year myself .... If it happens when you fish from a boat .. remove your lure and let all the line out and troll for about a minute reel 'er back in and no twists or nests... Happens all the time when the minnow isn't straight one the jig while fishin' Walleye.. .

Randy

:)

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

When spooling up make sure that the fresh spool is lying flat on the floor and that the line is coming off the spool in the same direction that the reel is turning... give it 20 or so handle turns and give your line some slack if it twists , it's on backwards .... If so strip the line off the reel , pinch the line , strip it through your fingers , flip the new spool re-tie and reel up .... Now it's on the right way... When spooling up , sticker side down is usually the right way. ... Don't use a pen or screwdriver or whatever to spool up a spincast ...

Randy

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I don't think it is weird mercman, in fact it seems natural to me. I have always been a lefty on spinning reels and a righty on bait-casters for as long as I can remember.

My brother just looks at me with his mouth open. With my Baitcaster, i cast with my right hand, and before the lure hits the water, my rod is in my left hand, and i'm ready to retrieve.dunno.gif It just feels natural.

As far as birdsnests, the only time i may get one, is if i am not paying attention and let go of the thumb bar too early or too late.

Never ever had a birdsnest on a spining reel. I have had the line loop over the bail on occasion, and had the line wrap around the outside of the reel housing.

Your line is on backwards ... Really .

I do it a few times a year myself .... If it happens when you fish from a boat .. remove your lure and let all the line out and troll for about a minute reel 'er back in and no twists or nests... Happens all the time when the minnow isn't straight one the jig while fishin' Walleye.. .

Randy

Every time it's been respooled? I've tried it all 4 ways, including on its edge with a pencil through it, and loaded it off the top and off the bottom. Various tackle shops have spooled line, but it still winds up fouling.

It's easy to birdnest a line if you start reeling in very loose line without any tension. You end up reeling in loops of twisted line and that is the start of the birdsnest.

Lesson learnt from years of untangling kids reels and watching them go back and tangle again a few casts later.

Edited by bigugli

Okay mods, lock this one up before I get even more frustrated. It's obviously something wrong with the mechanics of my arm, and I'm not about to get clinical investigations and surgery just to catch a fish.

Thanks to everyone who tried, but it's a lost cause.

Edited by Dave Bailey

Never broken an arm, 2 root canals.

Well then, here are some other things, not related to your 2 root canals,which may be the culprit.

1) You are over spooling the reel with line.

2) you are using lures/weights that are too light for the reel to spool correctly.

3) you are not adding enough tension to the line when filling the spool.

4) your rod is not able to handle the speed the line comes off the reel ( mix matched system) and causing a back lash by the time it hits the first guide.

5) You are making hard casts with the drag set very low on the reel which causes the spool to spin while line is coming off the reel.

Bird’s nest on spinning reels...It happens

Number of reasons but line twist usually is the case. Some things you can try.

1. Feather the spool on the cast with your index finger...Line can’t explode off the spool if you won’t let it

2. Don’t over fill your spool

3. Prevent line twist when you’re spooling up...Usually that means spooling up your reel with the line spool on the floor and label side up...If you’re noticing line twist when you’re spooling up, stop - Line twist will not magically go away on its own. Adding tension to the line and running it through your fingers when you're spooling up will remove most line twist

4. Prevent line twist while you’re fishing – Use decent swivels

5. Use a limp mono...Stiff mono generally has a tendency to jump off the spool of your reel when you’re casting...for lines 8lb test or higher, I like to soak my lines in warm water for a few minutes after spooling up. I dunk the reel spool into a tub of warm water and the line will bed up nicely. I usually do that after I’ve taken the drag washers out for re-lubing.

I always keep the drag tightened right up until the action starts.

A good quality ball bearing swivel "may" alleviate some of the mess closer to the end of the line before the lure. However, honestly, I'm tending to believe that you are one of "those" guys who keeps playing with the drag. What follows is what I meant very early in the thread about the spool turning while reeling or cranking. When the drag or tension is properly set per rod/line, the spool itself will not turn while you are cranking in line. If it does, then either you have played with the drag again or the fish is actually taking line. Don't crank while the spool is turning. It causes line twist. I see guys doing it quite often, once the drag is set, there's no need to adjust it.

Well then, here are some other things, not related to your 2 root canals,which may be the culprit.

1) You are over spooling the reel with line.

It strats with a lot and still happens after it's been shortened through continuous backlashes followed by shortening.

2) you are using lures/weights that are too light for the reel to spool correctly.

I use all sorts of lures on the same rods and reels, from little Chug Bugs to heavy spoons.

3) you are not adding enough tension to the line when filling the spool.

As I've said repeatedly, it's happened after all respoolings, I can't believe that every single respooling has been done the same wrong way.

4) your rod is not able to handle the speed the line comes off the reel ( mix matched system) and causing a back lash by the time it hits the first guide.

Possibly, but again, every combo I've used has been a bad one?

5) You are making hard casts with the drag set very low on the reel which causes the spool to spin while line is coming off the reel.

No, as I said before, my drag is always tightened fully.

Look folks, the only constant in all this is me. It obviously has nothing to do with the rod, the reel, the line, the lure, or the swivels. I'm willing to just let it go and live with it. There isn't a suggestion in this entire thread that hasn't been tried before, so there's nothing more that can be done.

I just read this entire post.. What the heck is going on man? Is the line banging off your fingers as it comes off the spool?

You need a little "reel cam" to record what's going wrong. You know, like the gold professionals. It's obviously in the technique. I've only ever had a birds nest on a spinning set up a hand full of times, all because of spooling backwards, or crappy swivels.

If you also think I'm having a joke, you're wrong. dry.gif

Mr Bailey you sound like me . Next time out switch the handle to the other side of the reel and start using your other hand to reel it in , you just might find this will work for you from now on . Good luck .

I hope you're a fan of Tin Cup because it worked for Roy McAvoy...

Put your change in your left pocket. Go on, do it. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot.- Tie my left shoe?- Right now, do it! Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it, Roy! Take this tee...and stick it...behind your left ear.- I look like a fool!What do you think you look like shooting chili peppers up Janzen's ass?

It sounds like you have the shanks...stop thinking about it and just cast ;-)

BTW, great intervention everybody. Thought Dave was looking for others to share their problems as opposed to sharing only his...funny stuff for everybody but Dave.

I'm the exact same overcast.