Anything in fishing that you've never been able to do?

Dave Bailey

When you retrieve do you kind of pull the lure with the rod then catch up with the reel on the loose line? Maybe it is something in the retrieve that is setting you up for failure.

You shore fish if I remember correctly? Maybe you are bombing the lure too hard on the cast? Combined with something in the retrieve? I have never heard of this issue before.

If you don't figure it out you are just going to have to start trolling and hope for the best. :-p

Always use a swivel and reduce line twist Dave.

I agree!! swivel helps reduce line twist always use them. Make sure your reel is facing down, while operating. If your R handed the handle should be in L hand or vise versa & check your drag setting.

Don't give up the ship we'll get it!!

might want to check and make sure your line isnt getting pinched in the bail roller too....i had a reel that was worn out and it had the same problem....it would only catch ever so often just enough to mess up a line....so make sure your bail components are tightened up....then check everything else to see if there is ANYTHING your line could be catching on....including up the rod through the eyes

When you retrieve do you kind of pull the lure with the rod then catch up with the reel on the loose line? Maybe it is something in the retrieve that is setting you up for failure.

I'll sometimes retrieve like that, had some success with pike grabbing a spoon as it flutters down between pulls. But it happens even if I'm rapidly retrieving spinner baits without any rest.

Did you ever think to cast out a spinnerbait,look at your reel while reeling in,I,m sure you will see the problem,cause this sure is strange.You should also switch to braid,I hate mono on spinning.

Tried braid last year, humungous snarl on my second cast. And the third, and the fifth... Went straight back to Tightline within 1/2 an hour and had it replaced with mono. The braid is now being used for home-made leaders.

Tried braid last year, humungous snarl on my second cast. And the third, and the fifth... Went straight back to Tightline within 1/2 an hour and had it replaced with mono. The braid is now being used for home-made leaders.

Wow sure sounds like a baitcaster not a spincaster. Agree with lungelarry cast it out have someone watch your line in & out. go to your local bait shop with rod in hand & show them whats going on

So let me get this straight Dave, you've been fishing for 50 years and you still have major problems with casting with a spinning reel? This is not a slight but I'm really thinking that either you're pulling our collective legs or we have to get the community together to buy you the biggest and best endurance/tolerance trophy we can afford.

So let me get this straight Dave, you've been fishing for 50 years and you still have major problems with casting with a spinning reel? This is not a slight but I'm really thinking that either you're pulling our collective legs or we have to get the community together to buy you the biggest and best endurance/tolerance trophy we can afford.

LOL!! I'm going back to my bucket beer drinking game!

Fished a lot as a kid but didn't start again until a few years ago, and even then only once or twice a year. Only began to get out more often in the past 5 years or so.

Looks like we've exhausted this one. Guess I'll just have to buy line by the kilometre for a bulk discount. I'm guessing that there's something unusual about the structure of my wrists and/or forearms that prevents me doing what others do.

I think we may have exhausted the obvious points but take your rig to a local bait shop & show them whats going on. I'm sure its some combo problem with your casting style being matched up with the rite rod & reel.

The pole has as much to do with it as your reel keep us posted!!

i would have to say the wallice cast.....i can do it after 6 or 7 attempts but the next day its like someone hit the "reset" button in my brain and i have to start from scratch all over again .....hence the reason im a fulltime spinning sidecaster.....

I can't side cast or spinning side cast to save my life. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Been pin fishing for 30 years and use my own strange spinning pull cast thing.

I have real difficulty when I'm showing new pinners how to cast because I look like an epileptic when I try to side cast!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

My students seem to pick it up quickly though. :dunno: :dunno:

I've rarely been able to go more than a dozen casts without having a massive birdnest develop

Other than giving up fishing, any suggestions?

Sounds like you've had one BAILEY'S too many !!

You should have given up fishing a long time ago !!

There is no hope for you at mastering a simple cast, give it up NOW !!!