Portable Electric Drill to auger through ice

Billy Bob

Does anyone here use a rechargeable drill and a adapter to drill holes in the ice.....looking at getting a adapter for my portable drill but I know I would also have to downsize my auger to either a 5" or 6" auger....but would like to first hear first hand experience if anyone here is using this system.....here's basically what I'm talking about. BTW don't bother suggesting a gas power auger....I'm not going to lay out that kind of money for so little use I will get out of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150702115939?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1214wt_928

Right now I have a 7" auger and a 19V lithium.....so I'm considering a 5" or MAYBE a 6" auger.....Bill, what are you using ?

8in Fin-Bire III hand auger and a 10in Jiffy power auger, lol.

Haven't had the power auger out this year.

8in Fin-Bire III hand auger and a 10in Jiffy power auger, lol.

Haven't had the power auger out this year.

I'm curious on this. I did a lot of ice fishing on Simcoe. I have an 8" manual and a 10" gas that was, well let's say one half is in 90 plus feet of water off of ORO 9, it's a long story!

It took time to drill by hand and nothing with gas! Does the drill thing really work and for how long? Just asking?

With battery power the biggest factor would be the type of ice you are drilling threw.

Blue ice being the most dense the harder the drill would work drawing more amperage from the battery.

Like the difference between soft wood.hard wood.non ferrous and steel.

They work alright Bob. I wouldn't go bigger than 6", and don't expect to drill a million holes. A good, quality, drill makes a big difference. Harder ice is actually easier to drill thru. The soft white layered stuff is much harder.

You won't need it this year. I can drill thru 6" of ice in about 4 seconds lol. By the time you get your drill hooked up, I'm already fishing!

No need for gas. I use a hand auger for everything, but I do have the knack for it, and my height (and strenght :whistling: ) surely help!

S.

They work alright Bob. I wouldn't go bigger than 6", and don't expect to drill a million holes. A good, quality, drill makes a big difference. Harder ice is actually easier to drill thru. The soft white layered stuff is much harder.

You won't need it this year. I can drill thru 6" of ice in about 4 seconds lol. By the time you get your drill hooked up, I'm already fishing!

No need for gas. I use a hand auger for everything, but I do have the knack for it, and my height (and strenght :whistling: ) surely help!

S.

Thanks Sinker.......I have only been out 3 times this year as we are VERY limited with ice conditions....and only 6" at the most but I have very bad shoulders and I can really feel it now a days when I hand auger through....so I am trying to decide on a new 5" or 6" auger and also trying to decide on the standard Strikemaster auger or a Strikemaster LAZER auger....anyone here have the newer LAZER hand augers and are the worth the extra $30....I can get a 5" standard for $49 or a LAZER for $79 shipped via Ebay.

Either way I know I'm going to miss my 7" hole.....

Get a 6in Normark Fin-Bore III, cuts through ice like butter. With the way they designed the handle, you use both arms compared to just one.

a great auger!

Even easier is the 4.5" finbore III micro. A 7lbs walleye and some fair sized ling/pike will still fit. It would not work for big whitties though.

Billy Bob, since you are set on buying the adapter for your drill, why not give it a go with your 7" auger blade and 2 fully charged batteries and see how it works? :dunno:

If it doesn't suit your needs then spend the extra cash for a smaller blade.

Just make sure you keep both batteries warm until you are ready to use them.

I'd get a finbore myself....but if the lazer is more available to you, go for it. I know CPH's lazer cuts pretty quick!

I've seen them cut hules with the drills, but never tried it myself. Everyone I've talked to who was using one, said it was the cats :asshat: I'm a sucker for punishment, and still use the 8" for panfish.

S.

I made my own adapter. Piece of steel rod about the same diameter as the shaft of the handle. used a grinder to make a hex shaped bit for the drill to grab. $0 and lots of fun learning metal work.

Bought a DeWalt 18V drill. It's not XRP. It's not Lithium. The drill was for home reno, but gave myself the excuse to buy the best. Comes with 2 batteries.

The 6" hand auger is from Crappy tire. It is the Nomak or something cheap ass one. $60 on sale. 3rd season. (had I known, I would have bought a better one.) I did sharpen the blade a little with fine sand paper.

Just got back from Simcoe today. Ice as 5-6 inches by Minet's point. I get 10 holes per battery. Makes it much easier than by hand. About 1000x easier. I keep the battery in a thermos bag with warm water bottles. Now I have some confidence in Running and Gunning. I only found one herring today. There were no fish in all the other holes that I drained the 1st battery on.

Out on Cook bay, ice being about 8-9 inches it was about 10 holes too.

I go out with the auger handle just in case I run out of juice on the drill. I have been told by professional trades people that Lithium does not like the cold.

Since I made my own adapter, I can say that I have 2 issues.

1. The diameter of my adapter is still too small to fit snugly in the hole.

2. It being too skinny, after I tighten the lock nut, it's off center. And I did not do a proper job on the chuck portion - which is not properly centered.

So the auger has a wobble to it. I installed a 7" piece of wood below the lock nut, just incase the chuck lets go - and it has. I usually try to guide the shaft with one hand, and caught the falling auger.

Lastly, the handle acts as an extension, if you need to drill deep holes. The adapter will only drill until you run out of auger - and almost submerge the drill. About 16" thick ice is all it can handle.

I love my drill/adapter/auger setup.

Jiggy

Edited by sleepjigging

Get a 6in Normark Fin-Bore III, cuts through ice like butter. With the way they designed the handle, you use both arms compared to just one.

I totally agree with you on this. Drilled over 20 holes through 24 plus inches, in no time not winded, great auger. Yesterday, today did not even think about drilling holes as an issue, with my old auger it was always a thought. Today I even went over and drilled the hole for a group beside me that was havin a hard time with their auger. I love it when things just work. I also buggered up my dewalt drill when my kid dropped it into the slush, still works but down a battery and had to oil the chuck. Those drill werent designt to play with slush.

I want to THANK EVERYONE here for their input....you all gave me a lot more to think about....Bill's suggestion of the Fin-Bore III got me to do even more research on this.....then yesterday I just closed out all the tabs and slept on it.....Sinker's idea of just trying it with my 7" auger definitely has some merit to ponder if I get new blades on that good old auger....I remember YEARS ago there were several bait shops in my area that would sharpen those blades for you......their all gone today.

IF anyone else has some more first hand experience with this, I'm all ears.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I tried the cordless drill adaptor on a 6" auger a couple seasons ago. Worked great while the ice was up to about 15" or 16" thick. The ice eventually got over 20" that year and at that point two holes per battery was about it, became almost useless.

That being said, another guy had a 5" on a high-end drill and could drill the 20" in seconds, all day long it seemed.

I think the key is a better drill and smaller auger. The wobble can lay a beating on the bearings of the drill as well, the average handy-man drill can't take the abuse for long.

Hi Bob,

I tried the cordless drill adaptor on a 6" auger a couple seasons ago. Worked great while the ice was up to about 15" or 16" thick. The ice eventually got over 20" that year and at that point two holes per battery was about it, became almost useless.

That being said, another guy had a 5" on a high-end drill and could drill the 20" in seconds, all day long it seemed.

I think the key is a better drill and smaller auger. The wobble can lay a beating on the bearings of the drill as well, the average handy-man drill can't take the abuse for long.

THANKS Jer........I was really leaning hard to go with a 6" Lazer Auger....but now you got me thinking AGAIN....not a good thing...LOL... :rofl2:

Impact really isn't meant for speed, more torque then anything. I bet it would work well.

I will have to keep that in mind.....

I pretty sure I'm going to go with the Lazer 5" size......but will wait for a end of the year sale....and also taking another look at that Finn III but they don't seem to be available on Ebay down here.