Pfluger Supreme XT versus Shimano Saros

gordy28

Yes, but I paid 140 for the Soron, the Supreme is on for 80... But since its the older generation at that price, I'll pass on it. I just thought it was a great deal.

I meant that they are both built by the same company. At similar price points you are basically getting the same thing with a different label

I believe this is the one

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger_Supreme_XT_Spinning_Reel/descpage-PPCRS.html

IMO really should be compared to the Stradic CI4

I have the Supreme XT and the reel wobbles quite a bit using crankbaits but on a wacky worm system it is great.

I have it on my Avid rods and the wooble drives me crazy. My CI4 and my daiwa Tierras do not wobble

Anyone want to buy it LOL

Jose

The gold one in the picture is a Supreme XT from 2 years ago. I have one and its a great reel but except for the thick bail (like a Diawa air bail) it is the same as the plain Supreme, which is also a great product. My only complaint with the reel is that the clicker on all 5 of my Supremes failed. The drag still worked but it seemed strange watching a Chinnook pull off 200 feet of line without a sound on a spin reel. Pure Fishing did send replacement spools so all is now good. $76 is a great price for the Supreme XT, I paid $99 for mine. FFO-Tackle.com has the plain Supreme for $68 less whatever discount they offer that day BUT shipping can be expensive from them. All my reels are 40 size and they don't make the Patriarch in that size or I would be tempted to try one. For the price you would pay $200 for Shimano of a comparable quality and that reel would weigh significantly more, not being a magnesium reel and all. FFO gets Sorons all the time as well, but they are not magnesium reels to my knowledge. The range from $60 to $80 over there depending on the bering count.

I have my Pflueger on an avid and it is the ultimate jigging and lindy rig set up for Walleyes. The lightweight reel makes it feel like the only thing you are holding is the rod. You can feel any bite. Slack bite, inhale bite, you can feel them all.

I would never sit here and slag Shimano, they are awesome reels. Their customer service is VERY good and you can get parts for them, however I feel that Pflueger is getting an unfair shake as for the toughness factor. I pound the piss out of all my tackle and have no problem calling out duds. I have had no problem with the durability of Pflueger so far and I bash my stuff around pretty good.

There are going to be complaints on all rigs. The gent with the Shimano reel with the noise is the exception not the rule. The gentleman with the Pflueger that broke in one shot is the exception not the rule.

It basically comes down to this. They are both high quality reels. Pfluegers are lighter. Shimanos have the best customer service. You will probably never need to call customer service with either. Edge goes to Pflueger.