Ice Sonar

sneak_e_pete

I have a 587ci but it is mounted to the boat

You can buy a portable case for that unit (There's one for sale in the classifieds right now for $150). You can also pick up the Humminbird ice transducer for around $80-$90. If you want to save some cash, you can use your existing transducer (if it isn't permanently glued to your boat) and mount it onto a hockey stick - I did something like that my first ice season.

Your unit is more than adequate for ice fishing...I'm using a Humminbird 343c at the moment.

Edited by MJL

Hey, I only get out once or twice a year for ice fishing, but reading some posts has me thinking ice sonar... is it worth it? How much does a unit cost?

It increases the level of excitement 10 fold. I rarely will go with out one. If your in for a real fun time get a camera. Because you dont fish much I would look at a used one. The camera is a real trip. You learn sooo much. If your fishing in the sunlight don't bother with a camera, and I would suggest you get a newr model, like the lawrance x67c. You can pick a used one up for around 200(400 new) I saw one for that price last year. Dont waste your money with an older model that does not pick up great detail.

Good suggestions here. Your Humminbird is a good unit for ice fishing. Just get the iceducer and case and your golden. I never understood why some people spend big bucks on a flasher they only use for 2 months a year when they have a good sonar with GPS and charts on their boat they can use.

I wouldn't want to step on the ice without a good sonar. Way more fun and productive!

So how do you remove a transducer every year... just re-silicone in spring?

I have a number of brackets that would fit your transducer. Just unbolt it from the mount and put it on your rigged-up ice mount (if you don,t want to spring for and ice-ducer.)

PM me for more info as I am the guy with the portable kit for sale. I have my 798si HD on the ice in the same bag/mount and it's awesome.

Edited by JTorra

I can't icefish without electronics anymore either. And i have outfished guys using flashers, while I had nothing before as well. It will increase your catch rate for sure. And worste case scenarion, you will at least know there are fish down there that just don't want to bite, instead of thinking there are no fish in the lake. Best confidence tool I own!

S.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it doesn't make the fish bite, but for run and gunning it can't be beat because you eliminate the water with no fish much quicker.

if i put down a hole and don't mark a fish in 10 or 15 minutes of jigging with a tube or lindy darter, i move.

it's also nice because you can note what type of action the fish will respond to. some days they want aggressive jigging, others little bumps, some days they want to chase a slowly reeled up bait etc...

plus, it's sort of like a video game and is fun on slow days. haha

The chase is definitely addicting.. I put the 788ci back in the boat and am running the 747c for the rest of the winter. high res of the 788ci makes even the 'ultra' chart speed slow and not close to real time. Not an issue with the 747c...

Edited by BillM