looking for jigging spoon for walleye

Spouph

I have read alot about different lures and tactics for trout and other species on this forum. What I am looking for is a jigging spoon that works for walleye through the ice. I would love to try somthing that doesn;t require minnows. I generally use buck shot, rapala/s jigs prop jigs and the occasional dew worm rig. These are all good teckniques, but want to try somthing new that has been tries and tested. I have tried some white fish lures and jigging body baits, with little success. I know that it is not only the lure but the jigging technique as well, so If you know of a good spoon please include the technique as well. I will share my proven techniques. thanks.

Considering you are from Sudbury area, i would assume you are not fishing Quinte. For most of my walleye lakes I fish, I prefer the straight silver swedish pimple. One thing I do most people don't, is what I call a reverse jig.

Instead of jigging upwards and dropping rod for the pause, I hold my spoon about a ft off bottom and then abruptly drop my rod tip down and then back up to where I was stationary. Depending on the mood of the walleye, I will vary my jigs from any where's from a constant pulse to jigging every 20 seconds.

A good fish finder is key for any type of ice fishing. This will shorten the learning curve on what the fish want for presentation.

Cheers, Ron...

Check out my last Nip Report, you'll see which one I use. Its made by Worek. It is deeply curved so it readily darts sideways. Anything similar will work with the same effect.

I pull up very quickly about 12 inches and let it drop. Wait 5 seconds and do it again. I'll break the pattern every so often with a shake or a longer pull. This works great on Nipissing

Considering you are from Sudbury area, i would assume you are not fishing Quinte. For most of my walleye lakes I fish, I prefer the straight silver swedish pimple. One thing I do most people don't, is what I call a reverse jig.

Instead of jigging upwards and dropping rod for the pause, I hold my spoon about a ft off bottom and then abruptly drop my rod tip down and then back up to where I was stationary. Depending on the mood of the walleye, I will vary my jigs from any where's from a constant pulse to jigging every 20 seconds.

A good fish finder is key for any type of ice fishing. This will shorten the learning curve on what the fish want for presentation.

Cheers, Ron...

Ya I will fish quinte once or twice a year, but for that drive I rarely try somthing new and stick to the lure and minnow. I am assuming no minnow, and are you hitting bottom. Do you raise the pimple up off bottom when the eye gets into the sonar, or just keep the jigging pattern the same. I run with a camera and a lorance x67c. So I have been watching their reaction but the bite has slowes the last two weekends so I want to try somthing new, I thinks this is somthing that I have not tried. Thanks very much for the tip. My buddy just hammered them on sunday on quinte this weekend past. What an excellent fishery. Does the pimple's colour flap on the eye matter red or yellow????

Check out my last Nip Report, you'll see which one I use. Its made by Worek. It is deeply curved so it readily darts sideways. Anything similar will work with the same effect.

I pull up very quickly about 12 inches and let it drop. Wait 5 seconds and do it again. I'll break the pattern every so often with a shake or a longer pull. This works great on Nipissing

Ya to be honest, your post got me looking at changing my technique up. nice job by the way looks like you had a great day. I know the fish are there I can see them on the camera. But I have never lived so close to a lake where I could really spend the time trying new things, now I can so I am learning so much. I have spent the last 7 years getting good at down rigging, before that was river fishing, but now I like a kid in a candy store. I have got such a rush trying new things, but if I can get a technique down that does not requir bait that would be awesome. Thanks for the feed back it is really appreciated, I am pike fishing this weekend, but I going to try to get spooning this weekend so I will pm you to let you know how I did. thanks again

Small Williams Ice Jig spoon and Mr.Champ are both tried tested and true walleye spoons for ice fishing as well. There are many more that work, but these are old walleye favs.

any particular colours, do you have pics.....if so do you mind. thanks for the info, and no minnow

I was going to suggest a Mr. Champ but Aaron already mentioned it... if you want to try something different for walleye then I suggest a saltie on a dead stick 6" off bottom... works for me smile.gif

really that seems differemt for eye's pike yes eye's now. How big saltie, shinner or dace thanks

Try a PK spoon, no bait necessary. Doing really well with them in the prairie provinces for walleye.

I see your from woodstock.....I wonder If josilin has any in stock. I saw those spoons working on u tube, this is the second reason I wanted to try a differernt spoon. That was a pretty impressive video.

I see your from woodstock.....I wonder If josilin has any in stock. I saw those spoons working on u tube, this is the second reason I wanted to try a differernt spoon. That was a pretty impressive video.

Not sure if he does. I actually ordered mine from The Fishin Hole.

Another lure that I would try is the Rapala Jigging Minnow. Yes, they are expensive and yes they have been around for decades. The reason they are so expensive is the fact that they are popular and if they are popular, it's because they catch fish.

Another lure that merites a good try is a flutter spoon. This variety of spoon is ultra thin. It has a lot of action in the water. Ok, it's a pain when the water is deep because it takes so long to reach the bottom but in walleye depths, it's worth a try. Sutton makes a great flutter spoon but the company no longer exists. There are imitations but I have yet to try them. Mooselook also makes flutter spoons. By the way, flutter spoons are also expensive....lol.

Sorry, can't provide pics from my blackberry. I rarely have time to boot up a pc these days. The spoons can be viewed online with a Google search. I've done well with silver, gold, half n half, green tapen red tape and chart tape. I'm sure other colours work as well.

Yes, jigging Rapalas can be very hard to beat for walleye at times. I remeber showing up at the dunville dam years ago and hammering walleye on jigging Raps while the traditional spoons were quiet. The Canadian Tire in Dunville was sold out of jigging Raps by the afternoon that day lol. They definitely are a staple for icing walleye.

I forgot to mention, I've done well with Mepps Little Wolf and Cyclops spoons for walleye in glo pink and glo green as well.

Have a great finish to your ice season!

I forgot to mention, I've done well with Mepps Little Wolf and Cyclops spoons for walleye in glo pink and glo green as well.

Good point Aaron. The Mepps Cyclops has worked great for my better half. She caught her 8.5 lber on it last Saturday. Perch love it too.

Another lure that I would try is the Rapala Jigging Minnow. Yes, they are expensive and yes they have been around for decades. The reason they are so expensive is the fact that they are popular and if they are popular, it's because they catch fish.

Another lure that merites a good try is a flutter spoon. This variety of spoon is ultra thin. It has a lot of action in the water. Ok, it's a pain when the water is deep because it takes so long to reach the bottom but in walleye depths, it's worth a try. Sutton makes a great flutter spoon but the company no longer exists. There are imitations but I have yet to try them. Mooselook also makes flutter spoons. By the way, flutter spoons are also expensive....lol.

The jigging rap is already my number 2 lure, caught alot of fish with that guy. But I upsize the middle hook and cut off the two end hooks and always han a minnow off of it. My confidence is not strong with out a minnow. You guys are helping. I pause for the strike, I assume you keep the jig rap in motion the whole time.

The jigging rap is already my number 2 lure, caught alot of fish with that guy. But I upsize the middle hook and cut off the two end hooks and always han a minnow off of it. My confidence is not strong with out a minnow. You guys are helping. I pause for the strike, I assume you keep the jig rap in motion the whole time.

If you are using electronics you can experiment with different things and that makes all the difference. Some walleye will chase a jiggin rap that you reel up, but often I will pause it when I mark a fish and then just give it a little shake or a very small jig and bam.

Edited by kickingfrog

The Lindy rattlin flyer spoon is one of my favourites.

It sounds like you may not be giving new techniques the time warranted to learn them.

Walleye (for the most part) are pretty similar no matter where you fish for them. Try a bunch of different baits to find what is working that day in that spot.

My best advice on walleye is don't be scared to be super aggressive in lure selection and presentation, they are predators and will chase baits.

macho minnows

buckshots

half and half williams ice jig #50 (side hooks removed, upgraded treble)

jiggin raps (w5 & w7 end hooks removed, up grade the treble)

swedish pimples

Thats all ya really need for walleye thru the ice. If those don't work, nothing is going to work.

I always have a macho minnow tied on, and my second rod is either a jiggin rap, or the williams half and half. I like to put 2 small minnows on my jigs, sometimes even 3. Electronics are the key to finding out what they want.

The only jigs I use for walleye with no bait is the jiggin raps, and sometimes a chubby darter or lindy darter. Otherwise, i always use bait for eyes. Even just a minnow head makes a difference IMO.

I've been trying out the new northland fish fry jigs. Forget the actual name, but they are the new horizontal type of blade baits. So far no fish, but lots of action on them. The action on them is sweet!

S.

This is what I would arm myself for walleye ice fishing.

A handful of spoons. Not surprisingly, there are many that are known to work well. I like the Williams Spoons, Swedish Pimples and Buckshot Rattle Spoons.

Walleye-Spoons.jpg

A few horizontal minmows. I like the Rapala and Moonshine jigs.

WalleyeMinnows.jpg

I'd probably take at least one darter and blade bait as well.

Walleye-Darters-1.jpg

WalleyeBlades.jpg

I'd also have some jigs. Although I'd tip them with a minnow, using a Gulp minnow or plastic grub can work too.

Walleye-Jigs-1.jpg

Edited by FishLogic

northland 1/4oz charteuese buck shot rattle spoon,with a stinger or a hammered half and half williams whitefish spoon,turned upside down take the hook off and turn the lure around and put the hook on the other end ok thats way too much info... good luck

I don't know what you were smoking when you came up with this Idea, but it sound crazy enough to work. Upside down spoon. What about the side hooks. flip em. I nam definately going after that this weekend. thanks for the Idea.