Drive or Fly

DanD

Just confirmed our trip with Eddie, for our week up at Beteau Lake this July; I can’t believe we’re actually going. :clapping:

My one brother and I have always talked about a fly-in and with him being diagnosed with terminal cancer; which has for now gone into a form of remission; it’s now or possibly never.

My reason for posting is; I’d like to hear the pros and cons of driving all the way to Nakina or flying to Thunder Bay, renting an econo-box and driving the last 4 hours?

Here’s my thinking; it’s a 32-34 hours round trip drive for us; that’s allowing for pit stops.

My brother’s health will likely only allow us 8 hours max at a time; meaning 2 motel rooms along the way @ approx $75-90 each. I drive an Avalanche and figure it’ll take 5-6 tanks of fuel @ approx $130 each. Add that up and it comes to around 950 bucks.

If we fly into Thunder Bay, the round trip flight is $320. each; a rental car for the week is approx $350 with 1920Klm included, gas maybe a $80-100, these prices are tax in. This adds up to around $1100.

150 bucks more, but less then ¼ of the traveling time.

The flights that I checked we’d land in Thunder Bay at 10:30am; we’d pick up the car at the airport. Head to the nearest Crappy tire or wherever and grab a couple of disposable coolers, hit up a grocery store for our supplies (only allowed 50lbs with Air Canada or West jet meaning cloths and fishing gear only) and then off to Nikina for a nights stay, before we fly out Saturday morning for Eddie’s camp?

So tell me what have I missed and why I should or should not fly?

Dan.

I figure it cuts the trip in half time wise - 10 hours driving between Nakina and Thunderbay, 4 hours driving to Toronto (assuming that's where you are flying from), 4 hours waiting at the airport both flights (yes this will happen), flight time is 2 hours? add another 1-2 hours to that for taxiing. It's probably still worth it though, I just think your numbers might be a bit off.

I am not sure, but maybe you could catch a flight from Thunderbay to Geraldton on Wasaya Airways? Not sure if that helps that much though. Wonder if you could fly to the outpost from Geraldton?

Train is another option, but I am sure it's not that much cheaper than flying these days.

Personally I don't mind driving, especially with a stop over or two. I find flying very grueling. I always feel nauseous when I fly - nothing to do with nerves or the actual flight, just all the waiting and sitting around.

Ultimately, I would leave it up to your brother to decide. Maybe a couple nights sleep during the trip might actually be better for him?

What is your weight restriction to fly into camp with? I'm assuming you'll need to have some coolers and stuff like that? I'm pretty sure if I was flying in for a week I'd need more than 50lbs worth of gear , but I've never done it so I'm just guessing

What is your weight restriction to fly into camp with? I'm assuming you'll need to have some coolers and stuff like that? I'm pretty sure if I was flying in for a week I'd need more than 50lbs worth of gear , but I've never done it so I'm just guessing

50lbs per person, Eddie is good about flying in beer beforehand (he did with us)

Edited by BillM

Dan I'm so glad to hear you're going to make the trip with your brother. Great news!

Anything I can do to assist in the planning don't hesitate to ask.

Based on what you've outlined there's no question: fly to Thunder Bay.

Before I commited to a rental car for the last leg I'd check first with Eddie to see if pick up/drop off could be arranged.

He knows lots of people in Nakina and that may end up being cheaper for you than renting.

As far as the weight restrictions go you'll be bringing just your clothing and fishing gear on the flight to Thunder Bay.

You can buy your groceries, beverages, ice, etc, etc, once you get there. Consider buying cheap throwaway styrofoam coolers rather than spending money on proper ones.

Also there's an excellent possibility that Eddie may be able to have much of the food you'll need pre flown in. I know he mentioned offering that service last time we spoke, so ask him about that as well.

Congrat's, you've got much to look forward to!

Thanks for the replies; I'm not going to do the quote thing with responses to the posts; all great replies, they will help.

- Yes we would be flying out of TO but that’s just a little over an hour and ¼ from my home. Non international flights, you only need too check in an hour before take off. Yea the flight leaves at 8:45 and lands at 10:30; but I do agree there will be wait times before and after the actual flights.

- West Jet or Air Canada only allows 50lbs free luggage; Eddie allows 100lbs on the flight to the camp.

- Yea Eddie will pre fly extra weight (with in reason); pop, beer or whatever; if there is room on flights before yours.

- Mike, Eddie has done so much in trying to accommodate us the only extra thing I may ask, is to pre-fly our hooch in. Well my hooch and my brother’s pop. Yea the cheap styrofoam coolers idea I got from you the last time we talked, on another thread. Thanks and don’t worry I’ll PM you if there are any of those oh crap questions that might pop up. When I go too book our Friday night stay in Nakina; I was going to ask the owners of the motel, if they were willing or knew someone that would drive us for some sort of cash deal?

Thanks guys and please, anyone feel free too comment on the idea of drive or fly. The only thing I can think of that I cannot prepare for is if Mother Nature grounds us? It’s mid July when we’re going so I’m hoping she won’t kick up to much of a fuss at that time of year?

Dan.

Dan you mentioned asking the motel owners in Nakina about a lift.

Pennocks motel in Nakina is frankly disgusting LOL!

What many guys have been doing myself included is staying overnight at Lower Twin Lakes Lodge a couple km's outside of town.

The owners John and Karen are truly great people and their cabins are 10X nicer than staying in the motel. Cost is about the same as well.

There's also a good chance that they could arrange a shuttle for you.

I was staying at their place last fall and I know for an absolute fact they arranged pickup at the airport for a young German couple who stayed overnight in one of their cabins then flew into Eddies the next day.

If you call John tell him I sent you and he "should" take care of you. ;)

https://lowertwinlakes.com/

Dan, I used to always fly from Denver to Minneapolis where my bil would pick us up and drive the rest of the way with him. I quit doing that primarily because I hated leaving the fate of my trip in their hands. Each year it got worse. Between me and my two boys, we are allowed 3 checked bags. Rod case is considered oversize and the airlines are charging as much as 75$. That left two duffels for three of us containing all gear and tackle boxes, fish finders etc. The duffels have to weigh 50# or less. Very tricky to say the least. I would have to just bring 1 tray of jigs and a few cranks and harnesses. I felt a bit naked having to pare my tackle so drastic. w00t.gif The boys would carry on overnight bags that we would stash a few extra camp items in and I would take my soft-side boat cooler as my carry on. Lol.

Now I drive. I really enjoy the drive. Great bonding time. There is nothing better than spending this time with the trip anticipation getting more intense the closer we get to the destination. All part of the adventure soon to be undertaken.

Your trip with your brother is so very cool. Don't rush it! Spend this extra time with him and hash out the brother talk on your drive. Save the boat time for nothing but great memories of this awesome adventure to Beteau.

My .02 cents.

Shows you what I know I thought Twin Lakes was the motel?

I didn’t actually check; I saw a phone number on Eddie’s site as recommended accommodations, assuming that it was the motel. What’s the saying, making assumptions makes a something something?????

Glad you posted Mike.

Wayne yea your right; I wanted to see if anyone had a good reason for not flying. And I guess I’m still old school, with the mind set that if you can drive there why fly; but this time it’s making more and more sense too?

Pikeslayer.

I know what you’re saying; but this isn’t our first trip together. We been going for years; but never so far and he hasn’t been ill. We thought last year was our last trip (Temagami); but the Doc says go for it while he’s in remission. Morris my brother says he doesn’t care how we get there, as long as we’re going. But I know him, by the 6th or 7th hour in the truck; he’ll be half stoned from the perc’s that he’s popped for the pain.

Dan.

Pikeslayer,

As someone who flies a lot (4x-5x/month, 80,000 to 100,000 miles/year) I have to say there's a world of difference between US-based and Canadian-based airlines. Our guys aren't perfect by any means, but I've found that they're usually a lot more accommodating toward oversized or overweight baggage (which for me is often a trade show display) than US-based airlines. Perhaps because they get a LOT of it? In any case, I've found they're fairly accommodating provided you call them in advance to arrange things - just show up at the airport and you'll pay through the snoot every time.

Just my .02 cents as well. Hey - between us, we have 4 cents!

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Wayne yea your right; I wanted to see if anyone had a good reason for not flying. And I guess I’m still old school, with the mind set that if you can drive there why fly; but this time it’s making more and more sense too?

Dan.

Didn't wanna stick my nose there Dan.. but I know how beat he was just getting to Temagami last year. Watching Jen fight a 1.75 hour drive from TO to home everytime during treatment was no fun for anyone.. her especially and I'd hate to see you get all the way up there by driving and have Morris so beat he just crashes in the cabin.

Your input is always welcome Wayne.

I’ve pretty much made my mind up; one more talk with Morris and I’ll try and get actual bookings and see how much info/costs are not shown on the airline’s Web sites?

Thanks everybody!!!!

Dan.

Pikeslayer,

As someone who flies a lot (4x-5x/month, 80,000 to 100,000 miles/year) I have to say there's a world of difference between US-based and Canadian-based airlines. Our guys aren't perfect by any means, but I've found that they're usually a lot more accommodating toward oversized or overweight baggage (which for me is often a trade show display) than US-based airlines. Perhaps because they get a LOT of it? In any case, I've found they're fairly accommodating provided you call them in advance to arrange things - just show up at the airport and you'll pay through the snoot every time.

Just my .02 cents as well. Hey - between us, we have 4 cents!

Yea, do ya get the pleasure of taking off your shoes also? rofl2.gif I keep forgetting, you guys do things a bit differently and in some cases, more reasonable.

Ought to be worth another penny. Now we got a nickle.

And Dan, just playin the role of devils advocate for ya. I think your decision is already made and I wish you good luck.

Just confirmed our trip with Eddie, for our week up at Beteau Lake this July; I can't believe we're actually going. clapping.gif

My one brother and I have always talked about a fly-in and with him being diagnosed with terminal cancer; which has for now gone into a form of remission; it's now or possibly never.

My reason for posting is; I'd like to hear the pros and cons of driving all the way to Nakina or flying to Thunder Bay, renting an econo-box and driving the last 4 hours?

Here's my thinking; it's a 32-34 hours round trip drive for us; that's allowing for pit stops.

My brother's health will likely only allow us 8 hours max at a time; meaning 2 motel rooms along the way @ approx $75-90 each. I drive an Avalanche and figure it'll take 5-6 tanks of fuel @ approx $130 each. Add that up and it comes to around 950 bucks.

If we fly into Thunder Bay, the round trip flight is $320. each; a rental car for the week is approx $350 with 1920Klm included, gas maybe a $80-100, these prices are tax in. This adds up to around $1100.

150 bucks more, but less then ¼ of the traveling time.

The flights that I checked we'd land in Thunder Bay at 10:30am; we'd pick up the car at the airport. Head to the nearest Crappy tire or wherever and grab a couple of disposable coolers, hit up a grocery store for our supplies (only allowed 50lbs with Air Canada or West jet meaning cloths and fishing gear only) and then off to Nikina for a nights stay, before we fly out Saturday morning for Eddie's camp?

So tell me what have I missed and why I should or should not fly?

Dan.

Dan, You could check into Limo services in Thunder Bay to see if anyone could drive you to Nakina It would probibly be cheaper than renting a car Larry S.

Dan, You could check into Limo services in Thunder Bay to see if anyone could drive you to Nakina It would probibly be cheaper than renting a car Larry S.

Just saw a post about this on the Thunder Bay Fishing Message Board. Snowball who is on this site and the TB one made it.

I suggested using Greyhound to get to Nakina, but do not know how close they get to your temporary accomodations at the Twin Lakes fishing lodge.

Also, a Canadian Tire store and I believe a food store are less than 2 km. from the airport. You can see them coming in for a landing if you have a window seat on the right hand side and are landing in a westerly direction.

If I have a new truck(only have a Cavalier right now), and am available, I can even pick you up from the airport for the shopping spree and get you to Greyhound if you get your timelines worked out in advance.

I will pm you my e-mail and cell phone number. I am not on this site as much as I used to be.

Thanks guys.

I checked on-line for bus service (Gray Hound) and there doesn’t seem to be a route that goes into Nakina?

There is train service to Nakina but Via hasn’t been going to Thunder Bay since 1989; something about a right of way dispute with CP rail and Via said we’re out of here?

Morris is coming over tonight and we’re going to sit down and hash out what we’re doing.

I like nofish4me’s attitude and he’s right, we’ve blown more then the rental car’s cost on things and never thought twice about it.

It is a bit of a kick in the pants to have a rental car for a week and only actually use it for 10 – 12 hours; but the ease of having it will likely make up for the costs.

Tjsa very generous offer; talk to you over in the PM area.

Mike or anyone else that’s been to Edie’s camp; is there graphs in his boats or should I bring a portable if I wanted the use of one?

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Thanks guys.

I checked on-line for bus service (Gray Hound) and there doesn’t seem to be a route that goes into Nakina?

There is train service to Nakina but Via hasn’t been going to Thunder Bay since 1989; something about a right of way dispute with CP rail and Via said we’re out of here?

Morris is coming over tonight and we’re going to sit down and hash out what we’re doing.

I like nofish4me’s attitude and he’s right, we’ve blown more then the rental car’s cost on things and never thought twice about it.

It is a bit of a kick in the pants to have a rental car for a week and only actually use it for 10 – 12 hours; but the ease of having it will likely make up for the costs.

Tjsa very generous offer; talk to you over in the PM area.

Mike or anyone else that’s been to Edie’s camp; is there graphs in his boats or should I bring a portable if I wanted the use of one?

Dan.

Dan a graph is a necessity and no Eddie doesn't have them in his boats. You'll have to bring one.

When we flew with Nakina air to Eddies Im pretty sure it was a 100lbs per person