new powerful spinning reel and odd rapalas(fakes??)

sconceptor

Hey,

I'm looking for suggestions on a powerful spinning reel, something that can crank in some pike sized(small musky) lures for a few hours a day. I've been using a 4000 symetre from about 2004 on a 7ft heavy rod, and it the reel starts to slip or fail after a while. Take it home, tune it up, it feels fine, but casting heavy lures again, and after a while, it slips or starts grinding. Maybe a small saltwater reel would work(redfish or striper reel).

Also, at a new local store, they were carrying some odd Rapalas. Clear box, no cardboard bottom, single Rapala sticker, no diving info. no Rapala on the lure lip, stainless hooks not black just some odd coloured Chinese/Japanese looking crankbaits. They had hundreds of them. Must be knock offs eh? Anybody else see these? I wouldn't touch them. Likely should be reported. Poor kids who think they might be getting a deal on Rapalas, but are likely buying crappy Chinese junk.

Thanks!!!

I am willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a reel. I've had a quick look in the BassPro catalogue, but would like suggestions. I like a spinning reel for friends to use, and a change of pace. My regular set ups for heavier baits are a 7ft medium heavy casting rod, 7ft heavy casting using a Curado or Chronarch. My musky rods are 6'6 to 7ft and with 301 Cardiffs.

I think a knock off lure wouldn't be good quality, not as good as Rapala's quality for sure! I know some Japanese and Chinese made lures are high quality, I just think knock offs likely made in Asia, would be sub par. No value. No right to use a Rapala sticker, to trick people.

Try looking at an Okuma EB-50 bait-runner reel. Its slightly bigger than the 4000's, much stronger and has a bait-runner function if you are using live bait (which might be the case for pike). I know they are kinda hard to come by and in demand (also used by carp fishermen). I have one and love it!

The new Okuma Raw II reels were designed for salt water but have become very popular in Europe and the UK with Pike anglers.

They are starting to catch on here too. The 65 & 80 size may be what you are looking for.

Have an eye - Okuma Raw II 65 & 80

Here is a small video about them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eb8d7iv4Go&feature=player_detailpage

If you think they may be fakes using the Rapala name, let Normark Canada know. I am sure they would be happy to hear about it.

Edited by Harrison

There's a few I would suggest to you. At the top end the Shimano Saragosa 4000F. 22lbs of drag in this reel, it's made for abuse and deep sea fishing.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/saltwater_spinning/Saragosa.html

The Socorro is nice too for big game spinning reels.

Check them out, we have some bigger ones you can play around with at Gagnons but honestly this reel is the real deal if you want power on a spinning outfit.

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I would go with a Van Staal if you can afford it.

At the lower end price wise is The VM-150 and at the expensive end are These and This One if you're into a little bling factor and need tons of line. :lol:

But if you want bling and a bail you need one of These :whistling:

Or if you have gobs of $$$ burning a hole in your pocket you could get a Diawa Saltiga for $1,100-$1,200 or step down to a Shimano Stella SW for $730-$950 :ninja:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/saltwater_spinning/Thunnus_CI4.html

That's what I use in the 8000 , I bought it for Carp and my saltwater trips down south 20lbs max drag and a baitrunner I believe in canada it retails for around 290 ... I bought mine on ebay for 250 and it came with 300yards of whatever size braid I wanted ! So far so good for me

Edited by Wiser

I use a lure that looks identical to a Rapala Shad Rap (balsa) called a Scotchline bait (and they do come in a small plastic jewel box that holds 1 or, in the larger box, 3 lures). I don't know where they are made but they run like a Shad Rap and cast even better because of the slightly heavier weight/size ratio. They are EXCELLENT lures that cost 3/$10 when I buy them. They also make them in a very small size that would be like a Shad Rap 3.5 if Rapala made such a small version (which they do not make. Even the Shad Rap SR plastic version comes in a size 4 as the smallest version). Scotchline also makes a Rapala Original Floating version that is also the spittin' image of a Normark Rapala. Before you guys go running off to support multinational companies like Normark/Rapala realize that even if Rapala patented their Shad Rap or Floating , the patent would have run out many years ago. These Scotchlines are a terrific bargain and catch boatloads of fish (especially the really small ones since they epitomize finesse crankin'). Multinational behemoths like Normark do not need your protection, in fact you are much more likely to need protection from multinationals and the government flunkies that do their bidding for a few pieces of silver.With the way things are shaping up in the "free" world it would be prudent to keep this in mind before becoming overly empathetic to corporate interests or our elected officials (of all stripes).

Edited by Snidley

I use a lure that looks identical to a Rapala Shad Rap (balsa) called a Scotchline bait (and they do come in a small plastic jewel box that holds 1 or, in the larger box, 3 lures). I don't know where they are made but they run like a Shad Rap and cast even better because of the slightly heavier weight/size ratio. They are EXCELLENT lures that cost 3/$10 when I buy them. They also make them in a very small size that would be like a Shad Rap 3.5 if Rapala made such a small version (which they do not make. Even the Shad Rap SR plastic version comes in a size 4 as the smallest version). Scotchline also makes a Rapala Original Floating version that is also the spittin' image of a Normark Rapala. Before you guys go running off to support multinational companies like Normark/Rapala realize that even if Rapala patented their Shad Rap or Floating , the patent would have run out many years ago. These Scotchlines are a terrific bargain and catch boatloads of fish (especially the really small ones since they epitomize finesse crankin'). Multinational behemoths like Normark do not need your protection, in fact you are much more likely to need protection from multinationals and the government flunkies that do their bidding for a few pieces of silver.With the way things are shaping up in the "free" world it would be prudent to keep this in mind before becoming overly empathetic to corporate interests or our elected officials (of all stripes).

You make a good point about supporting smaller and local brands, but that has literally nothing to do with the fact that a knockoff brand is using the Rapala name on their product, as stated in the OP... Unless things have changed, that's illegal and I would also be letting Normark know about it.