Fishing in Jamaica

fisher

Heading to Jamaica early March for some rest and relaxation. Curious if anyone here fished from the area around the resort I will be staying at, and could tell me how they did? I'll be staying at Gran bahia Principe in Runaway Bay, about 60 minutes from Montego bay.

Thanks.

I stayed there in November, but didn't see anyone fishing from shore as it is shallow out to the reef. By the main pool there was a water sports table and they advertised fishing. I think that you are out of luck unless, as previously noted, you can find a boat to take you out. On a side note I would recommend taking your own alarm clock. The wedding group we were with rented 16 rooms and out of those only 2 had clocks that actually worked.

Edited by staffman

We went there in 2009. Usually in the late afternoon I would sneak down to that rocky point to cast a few lures.

Got a bunch of smaller fish with a few large fish thrown in, unfortunately the larger ones spooled me or the toothy critters snapped me off. We did do the charter for 2 full days. Expect to catch tuna, barracuda, dolphin fish, and possibly if your lucky a marlin. We had one hook up with a marlin after trooling for close to 3 hours, fight lasted literally 10 sec until he spit the hooks. Still worth every second.

Silver spoons, and pearl white jerk baits produced from shore. Small pieces of shrimp also worked.

We had a good stay at the resort, but as stated , use caution when wondering off the resort grounds.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't plan on renting a boat or going on a charter since I always get sea sick...so that is out of the question. Anyone who has been sick before knows what I mean.

I was hoping to get some info about shore fishing and as mentioned by Jasper it seems like there are some opportunities to get into some big fish (especially ones that can spool you). That's great info. Now to stock up on some more silver spoons and some pearl white fish baits. Were there any brands/types in particular that worked better? Also the pearl fish baits, did you snap them in or slow/fast retrieve?

Also I plan on relaxing, so no need for an alarm clock for me.

Edited by fisher

• 4 years later...

Hey Sorry to revive an old dead thread but I am going to this same resort and I would also like to know about Shore/ Surf fishing. I am thinking about bringing a ice fishing setup for the reason of Space in my luggage. But I am tossing around the idea of paying for extra luggage and bringing a couple setups with some tackle. Any info would help. Fisher If you have tips that would be great

Thanks,

I stayed at the same resort a couple of years ago. There is a gazebo on a little spit of land with a rock jetty branching out in each direction. The western stretch was good for landing small barracuda. I climbed out on the rocks and cast mostly husky jerks with decent success. Of note, the local hotel workers all asked what I did with the fish I caught and when I told them I released them, I was advised to bring in anything and everything. FYI, a 4pc travel rod fits nicely into most luggage and a 3600 tray or two doesn't take up too much room.

Stayed at the same resort! Excellent place, had a blast. Look up Island Dog Water Sports. Was about $400 for half day. Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Baracuda and plenty of Mahi Mahi. Beer included!

Check out the fishing vid I made from our day. Its a bit lengthy as I wanted to include a few catches from everybody involved.

Edited by LucG

I thought I answered this thread but I guess it didn't post. I have been to Runaway Bay at east 3 times. The shore is mostly sand with some coral reefs off shore. That's where the fish are and tough to get to. There were NO FISHING signs posted. Too many divers and swimmers. Most of the shoreline is private property. The public property is sketchy. You won't get a cast in without being bombarded by locals selling stuff or just asking you for money.

Be careful, very, very careful booking adventures with locals in Jamaica. Book through an agent from the hotel if you want to go fishing or anything off the Rez. I'm sure LucD did. You ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy. Jamaica can be as dangerous as it is beautiful. Especially at night. I have a friend that earned a living there as a body guard for tourists. If I need a body guard to leave the resort at night I don't think I'm going.

Go fishing somewhere else than Jamaica alone like Simon does, I'm sure a charter is absolutely fine. Simon knows why I say this.

I remember having to sign a waiver for liability from the resort to go golfing next door. Don't get me wrong, I've been to the island many times and love it, just don't act like a tourist and all is good.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

LucG that video got me so pumped!! We are doing a charter fishing trip for sure, but I wanted to do some fishing in the AM, I get up much earlier then my wife and like to have a few casts in by breakfast. I might just bring my gear and fat around, If i catch I eat if I don't I eat eggs lol

Is that $400 per person?

Stayed at the same resort! Excellent place, had a blast. Look up Island Dog Water Sports. Was about $400 for half day. Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Baracuda and plenty of Mahi Mahi. Beer included!

Check out the fishing vid I made from our day. Its a bit lengthy as I wanted to include a few catches from everybody involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3UUpz2XQ0

LucG that video got me so pumped!! We are doing a charter fishing trip for sure, but I wanted to do some fishing in the AM, I get up much earlier then my wife and like to have a few casts in by breakfast. I might just bring my gear and fat around, If i catch I eat if I don't I eat eggs lol

Korber, bring a pack rod, I regret that a didn't. There would have been plenty of opportunities for me to wet a line off the rock break walls by the gazebos.

Is that $400 per person?

I apologize, I made an error, the cost was $800 per boat....Not $400. Half day was a 6 hr trip, which was plenty! Especially if the sea is rough. Our group chartered two boats, 3 people in each that way each person could fish more. Boats were clean, gear was top notch, deck hand and captain were great. Worth every penny.

That's pretty good! I'm at a wedding this October. I'll book these guys up

I doubt you will be disappointed.

I just watched the video. Wow LucG you guys hammered them big time!!! Very good. And that is a great price too.

We had an absolute blast. First time any of us had been fishing in the ocean, let alone for big game like marlin! I was amazed at what we were fishing. It was a floating weed line filled with debris and wood. We just trolled along side and caught fish all day.

Thanks for all the awesome info guys, I am count down the days. I will make sure to get pictures, maybe a go pro video.

Definitely bring the gopro, they have a mount already secured to the boat, just click yours in.

I thought I answered this thread but I guess it didn't post. I have been to Runaway Bay at east 3 times. The shore is mostly sand with some coral reefs off shore. That's where the fish are and tough to get to. There were NO FISHING signs posted. Too many divers and swimmers. Most of the shoreline is private property. The public property is sketchy. You won't get a cast in without being bombarded by locals selling stuff or just asking you for money.

Be careful, very, very careful booking adventures with locals in Jamaica. Book through an agent from the hotel if you want to go fishing or anything off the Rez. I'm sure LucD did. You ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy. Jamaica can be as dangerous as it is beautiful. Especially at night. I have a friend that earned a living there as a body guard for tourists. If I need a body guard to leave the resort at night I don't think I'm going.

Go fishing somewhere else than Jamaica alone like Simon does, I'm sure a charter is absolutely fine. Simon knows why I say this.

I remember having to sign a waiver for liability from the resort to go golfing next door. Don't get me wrong, I've been to the island many times and love it, just don't act like a tourist and all is good.

Fear monger much??? I go to Jamaica regularly and have many friends from there. Its a wonderful place and like any developing nation as long as you don't go down there and treat people like circus animals and second class citizens or show off your expensive jewelry you will be fine. The Jamaican's are a proud people and want to be treated with respect like anyone else.

Its attitudes like this that keep the stereotype going. This prevents people from going and enjoying a wonderful people and culture and forces them to live in fear inside some plastic all inclusive resort.

Fear monger much??? I go to Jamaica regularly and have many friends from there. Its a wonderful place and like any developing nation as long as you don't go down there and treat people like circus animals and second class citizens or show off your expensive jewelry you will be fine. The Jamaican's are a proud people and want to be treated with respect like anyone else.

Its attitudes like this that keep the stereotype going. This prevents people from going and enjoying a wonderful people and culture and forces them to live in fear inside some plastic all inclusive resort.

My father in law took a trip to Jamaica. He was sitting on the bus on the way from the airport to his resort. As he was looking out the window, a complete stranger looked at him and made the neck cutting motion to him. Not a good start to an expensive trip.

Like most places, there are places to avoid and there are places to go. The tough part is being in the know.

Friends just got back form an "all inclusive". They got zero service there, unless they were willing to tip every single "transaction" they requested.

There are much better places to spend your vacation dollars, Barbados as an example.

HH

I got back from Jamaica in January. Loved it all. The people, the food and service. We were at a no tipping resort and the staff went out of their way to help. (If they accept a tip they can be fired). Always with a smile on their face and a chat if you were inclined. We have already planned our next trip for next winter!