Downrigging Basics - looking for some advice/tips

Lunkerhunter

I recently have purchased a new princecraft xpedition and have rigged it up with a pair of walker tournament series downriggers. My experience with downriggers is pretty much none. lol i have been out with a few charters on lake o for salmon/steelhead and checked out how they run there setups but im pretty clueless to the whole thing.

in regards to the rods/reels do any of you have any advice on which kind of downrigging rods i should be purchasing. i will be mainly using the downriggers out on lake o for salmon/steelhead and possibly the odd time up in the muskoka/haliburton area for lakers. any brands that seem to be better than others when it comes to downrigging rods? any i should stay away from etc? what about line for the reels, what pound test is best and is it necessary to get the flea flicker line or whatever? i remember one of the charters i was out with was using that.

when it comes to downrigging weights i have read that you normally want 1 lb for every 10 feet of water you are dropping the ball down to. is that correct? is there a certain lb weight that people generally use as a standard? or do i need to but 6, 8 and 10 lb weights? do people find the fish shaped ones are any better? what about color?

i have also been checking out the temperature sensors or whatever that you can purchase to go with the downriggers.. should i stick with the walker temp sensors or should i go with the fish-hawk or something similar?

i have a bunch more questions but i figure i will start with those ones. really appreciate the input from you guys and i cant wait to get the new boat out on the water.

Huge topic. Even the few questions asked could elicit paragraphs...

There is a certain site that will help you in your quest to become an educated "spoonpuller" :whistling: It's where I got most of my answers when going through the process that you are now. Good place to buy used equipment too, to help keep the crazy costs down when setting up a boat for the first time.

Good luck!

Edited by JTorra

Huge topic. Even the few questions asked could elicit paragraphs...

Not passing you off, but there is a certain site that will help you in your quest to become an educated "spoonpuller" :whistling: It's where I got most of my answers when going through the process that you are now. Good place to buy used equipment too, to help keep the crazy costs down when setting up a boat for the first time.

Good luck!

Good Advice!

We can go for a coffee too if you like. We're not far.

downrigger weights i would use 13lb torpedos

weights

they track well and have minimal blow back

i would buy temp and speed probe, i think walker is just temp. i have a depth raider, it's going on 4 years with no issues. friends have moor and fish hawk.

fish hawk guys will tell you theirs is better because it does not use coated cable so there is less blow back in deep water. i still seem to be able to catch fish with the blow back so you will have to decide for yourself if you think it's worth the added coin.

rods i would buy a few different types and see what you like better. i use 7ft med power fast action rods unless i am running meat (cut bait) then i use 8 1/2 ft slow action rods, my friends run 8ft or longer slower action rods. tdr's, heartlands, walkers ect are great cheap rods

reels (i will be jumped on by the retentive) but you do not need line counters on rigger sticks, it is really not that hard to tell how far 10 , 20 , 30 feet is (and believe me i fish with a very very very retentive fisherman and we come out the same). i like lever drag reels because of the "strike" setting and they are a smooth reel

For reels jump right into the line counters. My experience with Okumas have been mixed and I've blown up 4 (2 Magda and 2 Catalina's) over the last few years. Running Daiwa and Okuma Convector now and knock on wood no problems

Rods are very personal preference and can be had for cheap. I've got a few of those rods in my basement and that's where the stay. On the downriggers do yourself a favor and track down the Fenwick twist rods. A little hard to find but worth every penny.

If you venture into the dipsey relm you'll probably want separate rods for these. I run 10' rapala rods and these were around $60

For downrigger weights I like 2 different styles

I run 12lb pancakes where I won't be even close to the bottom (lake ontario, erie) and 8lb cannonballs where I want to drag bottom (off niagara, simcoe, temagami)

I don't think color matters too much

My honest opinion on the temp would be to save your money for now. make sure you have a good VHF. I run a Cannon Speed and temp and on many trips the last couple years I'm tied more to my graph and fishing bait and marks rather than setting up on a temp break.

Good luck and welcome to the fraternity of poor fishermen

Im with Fang 100% , been running charters on lake O since the early 80's , Fenwick twist rods , Daiwa reels , and line counters are tho not a must if you want to later get into dipsys and flat lines , and if you fish O you WILL ,you will be ready , I run four riggers off the back and two off the sides 12 round ball on the two middle rods , 12 pound fish shaped on the outside rods as I can bend the tails to get them to track a little to the sides .. I have temp and well its nice but ??? speed at balls is nice but ?? get a good graph and go from there , cheaters ( A 10-15 foot length of line with swilvels on each end ,one end for spoon and one to go around line , clip the snap around line after you have the rod set and throw , beware have hooked myself many times throwing a cheater over board .Two middle riggers are run the deapest 5 - 10 feet apart two outside back riggers runn alittle higher and the two side riggers the shallowest , a inverted V sort of thing .. Pm for questions , ROY has said my pm probs are over (i hope) ...

thanks for the info everyone! i really appreciate the input.

been doing some more research and it is all starting to make a bit more sense now.

Fang and Capt Bruce.. you both mentioned the Fenwick Twist rods... are these discontinued? i dont see them on the fenwick website. i will do some more digging online but thought i would ask.

i picked up an HDS 8 for my console and an HDS 7 for my bow.... so im set for the fish finders.

one question i have in regards to the Fish Hawk X4 is are they difficult to install? can i do it myself?

thanks again boys.

cheers

the fish hawk is super easy to install. when you are installing your fish finders transducers install the fish hawk at the same time. a good idea is to get a board that either glues or screws to the stern of the boat and you put the transducers tehre. Run the wire from the transducer to the fish hawk display where ever you installed it and presto your done. Just dont forget to drop the probe with your rigger and your set.

I used mine for the first time last year all year and love every minute with it.

this question to the other downrigger guys. watching ol Dave mercer last night downrigging on WFN and he was using 200# power pro as his downrigger cable. anyone know why?

Cuts down on the humm of steel cable, but could be expensive as the braid starts to brake down, "goodbye gear" I think I'll be sticking to the steel cable.

this question to the other downrigger guys. watching ol Dave mercer last night downrigging on WFN and he was using 200# power pro as his downrigger cable. anyone know why?

It has a thinner diameter, therefore it cuts and has less of a bow in the line. Follows the boat nicely.

bounced bottom a few time with it last year, no problem.

Edited by Harrison

Weight of your cannon ball and speed is a big factor. At 4 MHR your ball set at 100' you may only be down 40 or 50' because of your speed and under water currant and wind. Whats up top could be different below. Don't be scared of speed sometimes, could make your day. Theres also fast baits and slow. Shark cannon balls are great for tracking but if you lose one, :wallbash: they are expensive. Myself I just us the cheapest ball. Draging the bottom for lake Trout can be hard on them.

Temp, I don't think it matters much. When their hungry, there going to eat. Put your lure in their face, even then they will follow for miles and never hit. Watch your finder and fish above them. I could go on and on. Took me an hour to type this.

But this is what I do, not saying I'm right, :rolleyes: you may have other opinions.

Enjoy another new world of fishing

Good Luck, May see you on the lake :good:

Edited by Fish Farmer