Big Cliff

My daughter and I talked about using Skype the other day, I have to admit I thought it was just another phone provider (ok, ok, I'm old). Little did I know we can talk to each other via the internet anytime we want and for as long as we want for free (I'm also cheap in my old age). So we tried it tonight and it was wonderful!!!!! I have a really good high speed connection and hers is a little slower but it was still wonderful to be able to sit here and talk with her. Call quality was really good as well, nice and clear, a little pause sometimes from when I'd say something and she'd respond but apart from that I was very pleased with it. I was just wondering how many others on here use it?

My daughter and I talked about using Skype the other day, I have to admit I thought it was just another phone provider (ok, ok, I'm old). Little did I know we can talk to each other via the internet anytime we want and for as long as we want for free (I'm also cheap in my old age). So we tried it tonight and it was wonderful!!!!! I have a really good high speed connection and hers is a little slower but it was still wonderful to be able to sit here and talk with her. Call quality was really good as well, nice and clear, a little pause sometimes from when I'd say something and she'd respond but apart from that I was very pleased with it. I was just wondering how many others on here use it?

skype is awesome.

Cliff, I've used it a couple of times when my wife and daughter had gone to Sasketchewan for the YBC National and really like it :thumbsup_anim:

Draw back, video didn't work cause of Internet speed... I have high speed at home and the hotel they were staying had very slow speed but I was glad to be able to communicate with them in real time for free :thumbsup_anim:

Beats texting any day :whistling::lol:B)

Used Skype for video calls when my wife was away for work. Was great for my daughter. Now I use Google Phone. The advantage is that it's free to call land lines anywhere in North America. Skype can do that as well but it costs money.

If you use Gmail, just click on the Call Phone button on the left menu to pull up the keypad. Try it, it's pretty good!

I don't understand that either Skeeter. I've been using the pooter as a phone/video phone for years. People are just now talking about skype.

edited to add: Is there something different about skype?

Used Skype for video calls when my wife was away for work. Was great for my daughter. Now I use Google Phone. The advantage is that it's free to call land lines anywhere in North America. Skype can do that as well but it costs money.

If you use Gmail, just click on the Call Phone button on the left menu to pull up the keypad. Try it, it's pretty good!

+1 for GOOGLE Phone....can call anyone in USA or Canada for FREE and if you want it also has Video Phone for anyone who uses Google Email...

Google Phone also stores phone numbers for you similar to a cell phone....great way to save a buck and the sound quality is FANTASTIC.

My daughter is a law student at Queen's who is completely blind. It's not unusual for her to call me on Skype with a special request, such as..."If she holds up the pizza box infront of her laptop, would I please read out the reheating instructions over the internet...or...if she puts her laptop on the floor, do I see the necklace she dropped anywhere down there? She's very adept and finding uses for Skype, my kid! We talked to her most evenings, completely free, when she was studying in Scotland for a year.

My daughter is a law student at Queen's who is completely blind. It's not unusual for her to call me on Skype with a special request, such as..."If she holds up the pizza box infront of her laptop, would I please read out the reheating instructions over the internet...or...if she puts her laptop on the floor, do I see the necklace she dropped anywhere down there? She's very adept and finding uses for Skype, my kid! We talked to her most evenings, completely free, when she was studying in Scotland for a year.

That is one darn smart young lady you have there! :thumbsup_anim:

I've used Skype for many years now. If fact, I do a conference call every Tuesday morning with colleagues in England and Poland for free. We also have Skype on all our company iPhones for free or cheap calls while traveling. Last week while in Taiwan I could talk to home for free. Can't beat it!!

Thanks Cliff, I take no responsibility for her intelligence...that comes from her mom's side of the family. I have spent my life being amazed at how her other senses have compensated for her loss of vision...that, and the fact that she has the world's smartest guide dog. Who else here has a dog with a law degree :)

Is this Google Phone going to record and sell my information to tele-marketers? Does it 'log' the number I call?

Entropy

Yahoo and msn had that out years ago and still do. :dunno:

Skype has been around for years too (03/04 IIRC) - I use it when travelling for work to keep in touch with the missus and to call family in the UK cheaper than the phone company plus I can video call with my niece and nephew which is cool :good:

I don't understand that either Skeeter. I've been using the pooter as a phone/video phone for years. People are just now talking about skype.

edited to add: Is there something different about skype?

I never really had much use for it before Roy, I know it is big in the US for phone service but back when this whole VOIP stuff started we only had dial up so I never really bothered with it as the quality wasn't very good. Now that we have a good quality high speed internet connection it's a little different. Our daughter was having so much trouble with her phone service from Bell that she finally cancelled the land line so now we are using Skype to call when we want to chat. Nice and easy for me to figure out and it's free. I was just wondering how many others use it on a regular basis.