Boat Buying - How To

sneak_e_pete

I thought I would start this topic to help answer some of my questions, but I am sure that there are a lot of other people out there who would really benefit from some of the knowledge on the board of previous boat buyers.

I will be buying a new boat in the next couple of years, but I have started looking now. I currently have a 16ft alumacraft with a 40 4 stroke, but I bought it used. This time, I want brand new.

I went to the boat show this year and I am glad I did, because it really helped me to visualize what I am looking for. However...it also brought up a TON of questions that I had a hard time getting an answer for (every dealer gave me a different answer). Hoping that some board insight will help.

The model that really stood out to me at the show was the Smokercraft Ultima 172. I have 3 boys, and the seating arrangement and being able to use it for more than fishing was ideal. Size is also a consideration as I need to keep towing weight below 3,000 lbs. Budget is $30-$32K

It was listed at $25,000 with a 90hp 4 stroke and came with a fisherman's top. The boat is rated for 140hp...I would 100% get the 140hp.

So after a long introduction, here goes with the questions:

1. What options should I be considering? Is there anything that is a MUST have? I like the motor upgrade, battery charger, full top, ski bar...anything else?

2. Kicker or no kicker? Some people said definitely need one. Other people said don't waste your money. A couple of guys said a trolling plate on the main motor will do the same.????

3. If yes to kicker, is there anything else I need to consider (i.e. how do I control the kicker? Does it steer with the main wheel and shift from the console?

4. 4 stroke versus 2 stroke. I got a LOT of conflicting information at the show on this one.

I also thought it would be very useful if we could share some pricing tips. What is the best way to negotiate a price? With all of the options I thought of so far....the Ultima would come out to around $33-$34K give or take.

I know these are a lot of questions, probably with many long answers as well, but any information is greatly appreciated.

Answer to the kicker question...It all depends on what you want to troll for. If you are only using the boat for Muskie or Pike trolling, you will probably be OK with the main motor. Although it will put excess hours on it, and won't be as fuel efficient as a kicker. If you do a variety of fishing, from Muskie to Walleye, then I would suggest a kicker. 9.9 minimum and also four stroke. That way you can tie it in to the main tank also. As far as control. You can go with regular helm controls with the motor conected to the main by a control bar. Or you can use an electronic control such as the Trollmaster set up.

I would also think about an upgrade on the GPS/fishfinder that usually comes with a package deal.

Best advice is what you are already doing. Your homework...

The kicker may come in handy if your big motor malfunctions, as a large boat isn't fun to paddle to shore. As far as fishing goes I've fished out of boats with kickers and out of boats with trolling plates and don't have enough experience with either to make any recommendations. I agree that it is wise as the last poster said to do your homework before making any final decisions.

came with a fisherman's top.

Not sure what a fishermans top is Pete, but if it doesn't come with clear side curtains your family would definetely appreciate them if a sudden rain or cold winds showed up un-expectedly.

Bit of extra loot up front but certainly worth it when the weather goes nasty.....specially for the kids.

If you go out on the big lake at all a kicker is a must in my opinion. It is great to troll with but more important is the safety factor. I bought the electric start model and added the adapter so it can be steered from the wheel if preferred but you must shift at the motor itself, don't find much need for console controls. One thing you should look at in the kicker is the high thrust version from Yamaha or the big foot from Merc, they are designed to provide enough thrust to steer your boat in the wind at slow trolling speeds. A standard small HP motor can not do this on a full windshield boat without upping the throttle and then your trolling speed is too fast. I have a 176 twin console polarkraft with an 8 HP high thrust Yamaha that will steer the boat in a stiff wind at an idle. As for GPS/fishfinder if you can buy it without and put exactly what you want on the boat not what is in their package. I found Angling Outfitters was cheaper than the dealer any way. Personally I like the 4 strokes but it is all a preference thing, do yourself a favour and Google your options and look for recurring problems. I am partial to the Yamaha 4 strokes. My 115 has been fantastic and Yamaha has been excellent as well. as for battery charger etc they can all be added later if your handy.

One thing that get me, Is the kicker engine for safety.Yes it does give you a piece of mind.

But come on lets get real.

How many people have a back up engine in their automobile.

Do you have a spare lawn mower so you know you will get the grass cut.

If engines where that un-reliable. Would you really want a kicker for back up.

The best piece of safety equipment you can have is a VHF radio.

I put one in my boat last year Paul strictly as a safety measure and if I never need it, it's still nice to know it's there. It can get pretty lonely up on the West Arm sometimes as you well know.

It may help me, or I may be able to help someone else who has a problem so it's a win win.

One thing that get me, Is the kicker engine for safety.Yes it does give you a piece of mind.

what happens if a stupid boulder decides to jump out of no-where and decides to shear off your prop!!!!.......[not that im speaking from experience} :whistling:

For that kind of money I'd shop stateside. You'll get 3 times the boat for the same price. You'd be silly to drop 30k on a Smokercraft when you could get a absolutely loaded Lund for the same price in the US.

I was looking for this exact style of boat recently. All manufactures, no preference there, and both in ON and Stateside.

There were no boats of this style Stateside. The ones that were available were not a great deal.

As many of you know I bought a 2010 Smoker Craft Ultima 162 with a 75 4 stroke Merc a couple weeks back.

IMO, and I did a TON of research, the Smokercraft/Starcraft boats blew away Lund.

Better features, better design and better hull. Just my opinion obviously, but that was my conclusion.

For what it's worth I picked up my 2010 package for $12,000.

I would NEVER buy new. There's deals to be had if you're willing to spend the time sifting through the net.

I was looking for this exact style of boat recently. All manufactures, no preference there, and both in ON and Stateside.

There were no boats of this style Stateside. The ones that were available were not a great deal.

As many of you know I bought a 2010 Smoker Craft Ultima 162 with a 75 4 stroke Merc a couple weeks back.

IMO, and I did a TON of research, the Smokercraft/Starcraft boats blew away Lund.

Better features, better design and better hull. Just my opinion obviously, but that was my conclusion.

I would NEVER buy new. There's deals to be had if you're willing to spend the time sifting through the net.

What a deal. The motor alone is worth that, and is probably just nicely broke in.

I love my truck but when/ if i have a issue i walk

I do not like to swim

Depends where you fish if you go out to the great lakes i would say a kicker is great to have..

On some inland lakes maby not however for the price of a kicker if you can keep some hrs off the main it might be worth it ...

I also have a second small tank of gas with me it is ment for the kicker but i have the different ends so if need be i can be swap it to the main

Once we were out the main dies... when we got back in it was determined that the issue was bad gas kincker got us in

Raido is good and a must but being able to get in on you own when you want to is priceless

Be Safe

I didn't find much in that price range either.. We came up a few grand and there was a lot more to choose from.

Aside from the kicker issue ( which IMO is a good idea when fishing on big water) I think the other thing to research is the price of the options you want..

I.e. : a Gps/sonar combo or trolling motor.. Dealers usually mark this stuff up huge, so know what the component is worth before adding it at the dealer.. If its too much, buy it separately and install it yourself..

When I bought my Legend 16 prosport tiller.. I passed on the seats ($250 ea.) and the motor guide 45 lb motor ($799)... Bought a Minn Kota 55lb for $680 tax in and I'm buying the seats from Bass Pro for $109 ea.

Good to hear you chose a nice boat Mike I think the 75hp will help you more when bringing alot of gear into the cottage.I must admit when my boat is full of stuff and loaded the 60hp is borderline.So did you get rid of the Old SSV?I must have missed the pix.Enjoy Mike

Well I say yes get a kicker as others have said its a back up.Imagine being stranded and the wind kicks up and it begins to get nasty out there at least you can point the boat in the right direction.Yes a VHF radio is another must and yes you can call for help.Being out on the water is not HWY 401 where there is an abundance of tow truck drivers competing for your business.

As for a trolling plate NEVER AGAIN. The happy troller model broke a piece of the fin when I had it mounted on a previous motor of mine 50hp Honda that lesson cost me $300.

Another point why put hundreds of hours on the main motor when you can use a kicker and consume less fuel.If your main motor is a 2 stroke so trolling with that.NOT

:canadian: