Looking for your favourite spots

kickingfrog

I first thought about this while driving 1100kms to my fly-in fishing trip this past September, and another post reminded me again.

What are your favourite places to eat at while on the road? It's getting harder and harder now with the 400 series hwy and the proliferation of chains to find a good spot to get good eats.

To be honest, I don't have much to offer because the two places we used to stop at between T.O. and North Bay (the part of the province I've traveled the most) are no more.

The only one I can think of is Stolley's (sp?) in Kingston. It's not on the hwy and is actually down by Queens university. Good burgers and great fries. One problem is that the clientele is predominately students and if you're older than about 25 a large group of them can be a bit much at times. An early Lunch on Saturdays or Sundays can be funny 'cause the all the kids will hung over hard.

Antonio's in South River - good lasagna and sandwiches.

Chinese in Temagami - Helen and Terry's place - don't even have to tell her what I want.

Rob Roy's Pub & Restaurant in Smiths Falls - main drag.. right where the bridge starts on west side of street last building heading south

..or Gerbo's right across the street for nice Greasy pizza.. a delicacy for me since the '60's !

Edited by irishfield

Dan, the restaurant at the french river trading post is pretty good.

In gravenhurst, there is a new restaurant that offers the FRESHEST food around! They are only open certain times of the day so they can get their ingredients. For the life of me I can't remember its name, its on the main stretch, left hand side as you enter northbound from hwy11. The GBay whitefish was fantastic!

Dannys Justa Pasta near South River, on Hwy 11 is good too.

Man, I travel so much that I have tons of good spots, unfortunately my memory for restaurant names is terrible.

Oh, if your ever on St. Josephs Island, go to The Lighthouse!

Mkiio's in Hearst Ontario. Best burger I've ever had in my life by far.

#2 on my top burger spot is Gilligans in southwest Ontario (its a chain).

Apache burger is right near my place but I've never been.... maybe I'll take the girlfriend this weekend.

You like burgers? :D

Mkiio's in Hearst Ontario. Best burger I've ever had in my life by far.

#2 on my top burger spot is Gilligans in southwest Ontario (its a chain).

Apache burger is right near my place but I've never been.... maybe I'll take the girlfriend this weekend.

There's a really good restaurant in Meaford that makes a killer home made burger too.

I can't remember the name though. :rolleyes:

Little place on the left side of the road when heading through town on your way towards Owen Sound.

It's right in the heart of town seveal blocks West of the river.

There is one Pub that I try to go to whenever I stopover in Sudbury called Grumblers. Not the nicest looking place, but they serve the BEST suicide hot wings ever!! If you like the hottest chicken wings, try these if you're in the area. HOTTT WINGS!! You have to order the hottest they have!

Grumblers.jpg

I also like the hottest wings from Moose Delaney's in Huntsville. So, we often eat there when we stay over in Huntsville chasing Splake in the Spring and Fall.

MooseDelaneys.jpg

One place that I finally tried a while back was Weber's on Highway 11. It really wasn't very good and I don't know what all the hype is about.

You want a good burger? Try Golden Star on Yonge Street in Thornhill (just north of Steeles). You have to order the homemade burger (the other one isn't very good). AWESOME burger! Beats Apache hands down IMO (Although, I like the Apache bun).

GoldenStarinThornhill.jpg

The Water Tower Inn in the Soo is not a bad place to end a fishing trip. There is a good restuarant and bar. Indoor and outdoor hot tubs (all year long) good rooms, pool. Great McGuffin photography all over the place. Not a bad spot to get cleaned up and relax. Kinnawabi Pines - good food but be prepared to wait and wait. There's a German place on Pancake bay that is great and another in Bruce Mines. The Voyager near the Batchawana is ok for burgs. Nothing like the Wildcat or Bullocks in Yellowknife, although the Wilno Tavern on a Tuesday night is alright. Seems like the small diners with character are disappearing.

Henry's.. If you're riding with Wayne. Decent pickerel dinner. :whistling:

LOL Nick... I go to Frying Pan Island every Sept 24th if I can, but I've never been to Henrys! My best friend died on the back side of the island and I visit once a year if weather allows.

although the Wilno Tavern on a Tuesday night is alright.

You talking about the Polish restaurant in Wilno near Bary's Bay ??

If so, they've got some of the best food anywhere and my wife & I make a point of driving up there every couple months for lunch.

Nothing fancy, but nice folks and great food !!

Dan, the restaurant at the french river trading post is pretty good.

In gravenhurst, there is a new restaurant that offers the FRESHEST food around! They are only open certain times of the day so they can get their ingredients. For the life of me I can't remember its name, its on the main stretch, left hand side as you enter northbound from hwy11. The GBay whitefish was fantastic!

Dannys Justa Pasta near South River, on Hwy 11 is good too.

Man, I travel so much that I have tons of good spots, unfortunately my memory for restaurant names is terrible.

Oh, if your ever on St. Josephs Island, go to The Lighthouse!

If you remember the name of the place in Gravenhurst let me know

And thanks!

For all who may travel through Sturgeon Falls , our Chip Stands are really "World Reknown" for quality food... They open on March break and close Thanksgiving weekend. I also like the Pine Rock on Hwy 11 N Marten River....

Randy

:)

"The Rock Pine" Randy.

The Blue Roof in Sundridge (no longer on the 4 lane highway) is great for a quick stop. If you are going further North The Bay Truck Stop is excellent.

In North Bay my vote goes to Burger World. Either of their 2 locations. ALL DAY BREAKFAST!