Pike Rods & Reels

walleye wanderer

I was out the other day drooling over a few new Pike rods and of course one thing leads to another…buy a new rod, then it is just natural to put a new reel on it right?

I am considering a St Croix Premier PS70HF2 - 7' heavy and wondered what the readers of OFC are using for Pike rods and reels?

Any info is appreciated and pic's too!

Cheers

Pigeon is right a 300 Curado is a great big pike and muskie reel, I usually use a 200 Crado with a Loomis Crankbait rod. Trust me BUY THIS ROD!! Its the best I have ever used for throwing cranks and medium spinners. It loads slower as it has a slower speed thus works great with braid allowing the fish to ge a better hold and eliminating short strikes.

The rod is soooo perfect for this youll love it!!

Darren

I catch all of my pike on my musky rods/reels but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a lot more fun to catch them on bass gear. I've never caught a pike over 30" here and it's just not fair catching them with musky gear. They hit hard and then the fight is over once I set the hook. Of course there's no pike over 20lbs in my area (not that I've heard of, anyway).

Anybody else target them on bass gear?

I use a mh 6'6" g2 loomis and a Abu revo winch and I mainly chuck twitch baits for them. For cranking I like using a mh spinning set up. I also use musky gear when tossing bigger baits but all but the biggest pike are boring to catch with this gear. I started pike fishing with an ugly stick spinning combo and it worked great.

1pc 8ft H action Shimano Compre with Abu Garcia Record 60

2pc St.Croix 7ft MH with Shimano Calais.

Funny that my biggest pike (48.5in) came on a 6'6 medium action Shimano Clarus with a Shimano Saros 1000 and 6lb Fireline, lol!

7ft MH action rod, Curado 200 or 300 spooled with 50lb braid of your choice and 80lb flurocarbon leader. For live bait, 7ft MH, 3000 Stradic spooled with 30lb braid and 80lb fluro leader with a 5-0 hook and a nice 3x strong treble set up quick strike rig style.

I would normally use a 7' Med-Hvy or 7'Hvy power rod. 17lb Fluoro leader and 50lb mainline braid and your all set. For reels, I used a Curado 200E7 last year. You want a fast reel with big knobs so you can get a good grip on the reel. The Curado 300E would make for a good Pike reel or a small Calcutta.

Hmmm, common theme seems to be a 7' rod and I must admit I am surprised by the number of 2 piece rods you guys are using. As for the reel, Curado is leading as a favourite so far. I have a Revo SX i purchased last year and an old Abu 5500C currently in use but I am considering a new Baitcaster to be matched to the 7' St Croix (probably go with MH) that I will be picking up. I am also thinking it is time for a new spinning reel for my 7" MH Shimano Compre. I have put the new Stradic up against the Abu Revo Premier and gotta say the Abu comes out on top so far with many mechanical advantages.

Well months to go so no need to rush this thing but it sure helps pass the time to the lake opens up.

Gonefishing.gif

i use 3 rods.. a 7 mh spinning with a 2500 series reel and 30lb braid

a 7 mh baitcaster with a 201 curado and 50lb braid

and a light musky outfit, 7' shimano compre muskie baitcaster with a 301 curado, 65lb braid

if there are no big pike where you fish the 1st two setups will be fine. just make sure you use a wire leader or fluoro of at least 50lb. even the dinkiest snot rockets have razor sharp teeth that'll slice through thinner fluoro. the 5500 abu you have is a perfect pike reel.

Edited by Raf

I use a 6'6 mh v-rod with a 250 calcutta for jerkbaits and such, a 7'9 h st croix mojo bass with a curado 300 nice for big swimbaits, and a 7'6 mh crucial flipping stick with curado 200. braids 50+ and 40-50 lb fluoro or steel leaders.

I use a 6'6 mh v-rod with a 250 calcutta for jerkbaits and such, a 7'9 h st croix mojo bass with a curado 300 nice for big swimbaits, and a 7'6 mh crucial flipping stick with curado 200. braids 50+ and 40-50 lb fluoro or steel leaders.

Hey Josh, I was looking at the Mojo Bass but one piece only. Is it working really good for the swim baits?

If you're boat fishing you really want some length to the rod. For boat fishing pike I go with a 7'6" med. fast blank with extended handle. I use a 200 Curado with 40lb braid. I can't remember which model but it's a Shimano rod. The extra length at bot ends makes casting so much easier.

When I was a Muskytier I used the big rods, and baits because Pike were a warm-up to the Musky season.

Now-a-days I use 6.5 and 7ft MH bass rods with Husky Jerks most of the time.

My factory rods are Loomis GL3 and IMX's with Chronarch's. My home build is a 7ft Crankbait rod with a Calcutta. I use 20# mono and 30 or 40 pound braid. I don't like wire leaders with Husky Jerks, so my line is on the heavy side for safety.

I have a friend who catches a lot of pike on a spinning rod, mostly with #5 Mepp's spinners. I don't know what line she uses but I know there is a short wire leader on whatever it is.

Pike aren't long runners, so big reels aren't really needed in my opinion. I like the bass gear because it's more fun in the Spring when I do my pike fishing.

Although I have a few, I don't often use rods over 7 ft because they won't fit in my rod locker. I bring them out if I intend to throw 6 or 8 inch swimbaits or bucktails etc. For the smaller stuff I don't feel the need of extra length.

Unless you fish alone, long rods can be a problem in a boat...8ft of rod, 3ft of arm plus 2ft of leader and bait can reach out and hook your partner if you're not careful! I once had a client snag and break the rod I was holding in front of me with a Sledge...Very scary!!!

Seems like th Curado 300E has been a popular Pike and light Musky reel.

I have one left at a great price and free shipping to Ontario. Just a heads up.

Wow, that's a steal especially with the free shipping... I love that reel for light musky and pike. If I didn't have a massive list of other things fishing related to buy I'd get a second one. Surprised no one's jumped on it yet.