January 28th walleye in the boat

mike rousseau

Well with all this warm weather and reports of others getting out in their boats this January I figured I should give it a try...

So last night I shoveled the boat launch... Then today chiseled a bit of ice... The boat was in the water around noon...

Since I never fished open water in January I figured we could try some fall and spring patterns and see what happens...

So we tried a couple of spring spots without much luck other then a musky bite off...

Then I figured we should try a spot where I was catching in the fall...

As soon as we showed up we were marking fish... Drop our lines... Bam... Instant fish on... Nice chunky walleye...

After that it was non stop action for about 2 hours...

We ended up boating at least 25 walleye averaging about 20 inches... Biggest was about 25 inches

But the bonus fish of the day was the sauger I got... I've never caught a sauger or seen one in my area... It was 19 inches...

Is 19 inches a big sauger?

Anyways a few families had a fresh fish fry tonight and we had smiles on our faces...

What a day for jan 28th in the boat...

Here's some pics and video clips from the day...

Sorry about poor quality... All done on iPhones...

9f5f5ea8.jpg

408c3744.jpg

201ce8ae.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee516/roosnutz/d4a01029.mp4

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee516/roosnutz/00cd7add.mp4

Good go'in Mike , i would be surprized if you were on the front page in the morning , you in your boat out there today had to shock any one who saw ya's . Awsome fish numbers too .

We actually saw 2 other boats from 2 other launches... 1 was fishing and the other was breaking in his brand new bass boat...

Edited by Musky Mike

That's a REAL nice Sauger Mike. I have never seen on over 14inches. They are typically smaller than walleye... So I guess that's a testament to how good your walleye fishery is!

Great fish!

I thought so...

I don't know much about sauger cause we don't have many around here...

I've caught thousands of walleye and this is my first sauger

So at 19 inches this might be a PB that I won't likely beat...

I thought so...

I don't know much about sauger cause we don't have many around here...

I've caught thousands of walleye and this is my first sauger

So at 19 inches this might be a PB that I won't likely beat...

I've caught several in the Ottawa river near Mattawa, but nothing near that size. Nice markings on it, eh?

Btw, don't stick you fingers in their mouths they clamp down like Pike and don't let go! Much stronger jaw than a walleye

Edited by Rod Caster

Your sauger is a decent one. The Ont record was caught by Kris Gagnier on the Detroit River in 1992, it was 22.20" and weighed 4.40lbs. It is one of 4 ONT record fish that have been caught in the Windsor area. White crappie, black crappie, temperate hybrid bass(whiper).

Musky Mike

You said there was a chance on the Larry to get out and you did - Great job and good fishing report.

David aka Superdad

Thanks for the inspiration superdad...

And after figuring out the pattern... Did it ever help me understand winter walleye migrations...

This single day of fishing I probably learnt more important things then any other day this year... To apply to ice fishing that is...

It would have been amazing of we landed the musky tho