Super Braid Lines for ice fishing

Billy Bob

Although I STILL can NOT ice fish here I was thinking of getting some gear prepped just in case......if you remember correctly I asked about a Super Line for my little Lake Erie perch rod and finally settled on Cabela's RipCord SI 4# test because it was on sale and less then half the cost ($6) of the recommended PowerPro.......but anyways....I have yet to spool it onto my perch rig because I like to use that reel ice fishing and have always used a light mono (4# test) while hard water fishing....has anyone here used a Super Braided line while ice fishing and if so what were the results...GOOD>>>>>>BAD... :dunno: Should I wait until ice fishing season is over and spool it on and go with the 4# test I already have....or will I be better off with the Super Braid line... :dunno:

Used quite a few brands for ice fishing before settling on the Fireline (white). Performs well in very cold conditions and I've had no problems for lakers and whitefish. Still run light flouro for perch and rainbows though probably just cause its more shallow water fishing.

I have some Berkley Nano rigged up to try this year but will have the fireline with me as back up.

my 0.02c is this

if you're in a hut, knock yourself out and use braid.

if you're in the elements, braid will take in water and freeze on your reel.

if you're fishing shallow, in my opinion there's no need for braid. if you're fishing deep water fish (ie. lakers/whitefish) then weigh the pros (sensitivity) and cons (cost, freezing).

my 0.02c is this

if you're fishing shallow, in my opinion there's no need for braid. if you're fishing deep water fish (ie. lakers/whitefish) then weigh the pros (sensitivity) and cons (cost, freezing).

X2

my 0.02c is this

After reading this I think you hit the nail on the head for me.....THANKS.

Although I STILL can NOT ice fish here I was thinking of getting some gear prepped just in case......if you remember correctly I asked about a Super Line for my little Lake Erie perch rod and finally settled on Cabela's RipCord SI 4# test because it was on sale and less then half the cost ($6) of the recommended PowerPro.......but anyways....I have yet to spool it onto my perch rig because I like to use that reel ice fishing and have always used a light mono (4# test) while hard water fishing....has anyone here used a Super Braided line while ice fishing and if so what were the results...GOOD>>>>>>BAD... dunno.gif Should I wait until ice fishing season is over and spool it on and go with the 4# test I already have....or will I be better off with the Super Braid line... dunno.gif

I have two sets, I run with braid in any water deeper than 25 ft, If I am fishing eyes in 15ft or greater braid is good for the light bite, it definately is the way to go. I love braid for deep water simcoe whities. Ice fishing I would not run any less than 6lb mono. There is alot of edges you can catch, four just breaks to easily in the cold. Any other type of ice fishing I run mono. Even with the braid, I transfer to 6 or 8 ft of floural carbon off of a ball swivel. All rods even mono I tie in a ball swivel, it prevent the line twists that seem to be amplified by the cold, jigginh with a tube jug, twist your line so bad that it is unusable after 20 min. Other lures jigging do the same thing, the swivel lets cold hand stay in the gloves and not retieing or untangling. If you do re spool your line with mono run your reel under hot tap water for a minute, it will set a memory to your line so that it does not puke off your reel. good luck.

I have two sets, I run with braid in any water deeper than 25 ft, If I am fishing eyes in 15ft or greater braid is good for the light bite, it definately is the way to go. I love braid for deep water simcoe whities. Ice fishing I would not run any less than 6lb mono. There is alot of edges you can catch, four just breaks to easily in the cold. Any other type of ice fishing I run mono. Even with the braid, I transfer to 6 or 8 ft of floural carbon off of a ball swivel. All rods even mono I tie in a ball swivel, it prevent the line twists that seem to be amplified by the cold, jigginh with a tube jug, twist your line so bad that it is unusable after 20 min. Other lures jigging do the same thing, the swivel lets cold hand stay in the gloves and not retieing or untangling. If you do re spool your line with mono run your reel under hot tap water for a minute, it will set a memory to your line so that it does not puke off your reel. good luck.

THANKS......great tip with the small barrel swivel.....that was one thing with using braid...retying to small lures on the ice would be a pain, but with a small barrel swivel and a mono leader that should correct that problem.

I've fished 4,6 and 8lb Sufix 832 Ice line in the ugly floro green haha. Great line has held up well to knots and the ice hasn't cut into it at all. I alsu have been using 8lb Power Pro Ice in the blue. Again no complaints. I always tie on a few feet of PLine Fluoroice. It's cheap and has served me well the last 2 years for my ice fishing leader line in 5lb and 8lb test. Double uni and ur go :)