Canoe trolling motor size?

scugpg

I tried my Minnkota 46lbs of thrust its the old model with a much larger heavier shaft It is just as power as a friends 55 .

I found it overkill for my 16 foot canoe.Its kind of heavy and awkward as mine is mounted on a side bracket.

Honestly a smaller thrust would be fine.

Your right Mike,30lb thrust is more than enough.

I see... I ran into a similar problem when I wanted to bring a motor into Algonquin park but couldn't use gas and didn't want to lug a battery around. I ended up picking up one of these guys, light weight and thrust depends on how hard you want to crank it!

Troll.jpg

NEAT.. where did you get that? I could use one for my sportspal I carry on the plane.

I tried my Minnkota 46lbs of thrust its the old model with a much larger heavier shaft It is just as power as a friends 55 .

I found it overkill for my 16 foot canoe.Its kind of heavy and awkward as mine is mounted on a side bracket.

Honestly a smaller thrust would be fine.

Thanks for your input.... even 5lbs of weight makes a difference in this application

NEAT.. where did you get that? I could use one for my sportspal I carry on the plane.

I got it on eBay a while ago (7 years). I just came across it and ended up buying it off a kid in Toronto. I have seen a few others but they are rare, it is called a "Trolite 2000" made of thick plastic and aluminum. I think I paid around 25 bucks for it.

i had a 40lb thrust minn kota on my 12' tin and it was the perfect size and i had used it on some canoes. unfortantly a couple years ago i forgot to pull it up when i turned on my 9.9hp, flying back to the launch it launched off the back out in the middle of the lake. i bought a 30lb to replace it and its like it doesnt have the top gear on the 40lb. i really miss that extra little bit of push incase the wind picks up or just where i can to get going a little quick. i say for canoe 36-40lb.

30lb min kota endura prob the best bang for your buck...

Price point is good, but the Enduras don't have the maximizer technology.

Had a chance to compare an Endura 55 to a Traxxis 45 both in 36'' length. They were very close in weight with the Endura being a bit heavier. The 55 had a noticeably bigger prop/bottom end too.

IMO they are both heavy on the back of a canoe. A little 30lb although not as much juice is considerably lighter.