12' TInny

justwannafish

Hey I'm looking for some DIY instruction to help me make and install a casting deck on a 12' aluminum boat I picked up a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know of a decent site with some helpful info? Or have any plans from one they've done themselves?

I'm putting money away over the winter so I can get it built and ready to go for as soon as I can next season!!

Pretty excited!

Any help is appreciated

Thanks a lot!!

BlueBird.jpg

Hey I'm looking for some DIY instruction to help me make and install a casting deck on a 12' aluminum boat I picked up a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know of a decent site with some helpful info? Or have any plans from one they've done themselves?

I'm putting money away over the winter so I can get it built and ready to go for as soon as I can next season!!

Pretty excited!

Any help is appreciated

Thanks a lot!!

/quote]

I don't think you will need plans if it is just for a casting deck. How big do you want the deck? I would think that the easiest method would be to just apply a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood over the seats. Maybe a bit of reinforcement between the seats.

However, a 12 foot aluminum boat is very light and tipsy. The higher off the bottom of the boat you get, the tipsier it will be. Maybe a platform just off the bottom. Maybe about 3 inches off the bottom center line.

@justwannafish - I wrote a feature article in the latest issue of Ontario OUT OF DOORS magazine. It covers the basics of plywood selection, framework size, screws, carpeting, etc. It also offers tips on carpet, livewells, bilge pumps and bow-mounts/electronics. Should be a good starting point.

I also shot a companion video that you may find useful:

If you have any questions, just shoot me a note.

@fishNwire - Always love to hear comments (both good and bad) on what your experience is with the magazine. Any comments feel free to direct them to the Editor-in-Chief, John Kerr: [email protected] Best way to let us know how we are doing - or what improvements need to be made.

In terms of the article I wrote - I wanted to cover all of the basics (not just deck building) for giving your aluminum boat a makeover. Obviously, space constraints doesn't always allow us to go into in-depth detail on every topic we cover, but I think this piece does give the newbie "boat builder" some great starting points.

Good Fishing,

Justin