Best propane heater for a Pop up hut?

BucktownAngler

mr buddy is good and you can flip the cage at the front to cook on it, how ever the damn thing is always shutting off. I would go with the five pound tank the green coleman are too expensive, you can also go tho the plumbing isle at canadian tire and they have blue propane tanks, whick are Identical but are cheaper. i\d give 6 out of ten for convience, but the sunflower which I own , constand heat down to a t shirt and you can also cook on it. is by far suppior, there are some flaws though, the thin copper tube snapped off about my thirrd trip buddy threw his bag on it that was it. It also near killed three of us, did not realise how close we were until a buddy tried to light his smoke and his lighter would not lite, not enough oxygen to lite a flame. I run with my buddy now it pisses me off but the other is broken and I know I won;t die. sunflower is better in my opinion, just don't go to sleep.

propane is a "wet" heat and why you don't need a humidifier when heating a house with propane.

Depends where you live Irish.

My house is pretty dry and I heat with propane.

Every time I move in the winter and touch something grounded lightning bolts shoot out of my fingers!!! :w00t:

PS condensation isn't an issue @ -40!!! :whistling:

It turns to ice before it ever gets a chance to drip on you!!! :tease:

PB200198.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I bought a little buddy heater (Mr. Heater) but I found it a pain in the butt. It's top heavy and thus tippy and seems to have a tough time lighting up when it's really cold.

What I've been trying this year is a cheap butane stove like this.

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/products/56-Camp-Cooking-Accessories/15269-World-Famous-Butane-Stoves/

They're only about 20-25 bucks. And I found an even more compact one where the butane fuel canister stick out a bit.

Pros

1. cheap

2. sufficient heat

3. butane fuel is around $5-6 for a 4-pack at any Asian grocery like Galleria in the GTA or H-mart in Richmond Hill. I heard there are poorly made fuel canisters (from China?) so I try to get mine at Korean groceries. Quality is supposedly higher. As an FYI, last time I checked crappy tire, they had the butane but it was really overpriced.

4. Can also cook on it which i do all the time, boil water for tea/coffee, etc.

5. very light and compact. comes with case

6. Self starting, twist of a dial.

7. can use as camp stove in summer

8. fuel canisters are also very compact and store easily (shaped like a can of hairspray but more girth)

Cons

1. Open flame in tent (but we keep ours right in the middle so it's pretty safe)

2. Butane canisters lose their pressure when it gets really cold so the flame size shrinks (my solution is that I keep a couple canisters close to my chest, under my jacket and rotate them when the flame shrinks.

3. I suppose if wind leaks into your tent the flame can go out

4. not 'green' as you will need to dispose of your empty canisters.

Looks like TSC has all their portable heaters on sale for 30 % off this week.

I use a Coleman (think it's a Pro Cat) in our Clam 2000. Picked it up for $30 at Liquidation World two years ago. Does the job, adequately, in my hut...might be a little weak in a pop-up with no floor.

:whistling: The only way you would get any condensation in the house from propane/ng is if you have a bad heat exchanger. If that was the case you would die from CO poisoning in short order.

Exactly. That's why my permie will probably have a small vented propane furnace in it.

I have one I'm not using availble to use in it. :D

I use a 2500 to 5000 BTU Coleman catalytic propane heater. I can put 2 one pound canisters inside it and switch canisters when one is empty. At 5000 BTU, a one pound canister only lasts about 3 hours. At 5000 BTU, the pop up is barely warm on a cold day. I still have to keep my coat on (unzipped) but the eyes on my rod do not freeze up. A 10,000 BTU heater would be better but a one pound canister would only last about 1 1/2 hours.

Any tips for dealing with condensation with these propane heaters? Noticed quite the buildup in my popup using a coleman stove...

Ya funny but the new clam huts have insulated the tops of there huts, My old portable would be dripping on me all day the new clam is noticably different, the walls still get wet and you have to dry them out between outings but the day is way more enjoyable with tho tops insulated. well worth the money.

was using a little buddy heater Saturday on simcoe, in a double wide 6 man popup. It was giving suffient heat through out the day. Was able to take off the jacket.

As it got colder after 3pm, we started feeling it in the hut.

im thinking this should be good for the 4 man, as its almost half the size

Heater0002_Little_Buddy_Heater.jpg

Edited by Boss