Crawler Harnesses/and spinner rigs

manitoubass2

I thought it be a good discussion to get going here on OFC. After reading a thread last year I started making my own rigs, and so did my son.

I found it to be alot of fun, and the ideas seem endless.

Who here makes their own?

What are your preferences on line? Length of line?

What hooks or other components do you use/prefer?

How do you fish your rigs?

Blades, types, colors etc...?

I would like to see some pics as well if you have em. I think it was Sinclair that posted up some really nice rigs, as well as Roy???

Thanks to anyone that chimes in... thumbsup_anim.gif

Troll

Nylon coated steel wire 30lb

Or

Heavy florocarbon...40lb and up

#4 Colorado blades

6-8 inches long

one single hook

I tie to a 3 way swivel

Then tie a 6 inch dropper line to a 4-6 oz sinker(in current)

Then tie a 3-4 foot 20lb mono leader to a snap swivel and attach the wire spinner to the snap... Doing it this way prevents spinners from tangling...

Troll on break lines and weed edges... Tip hook with gulp minnow...

I know most will say I'm crazy running steel wire spinners... But we have tested all kinds of materials and the walleye don't care... And that's in gin clear water too... And then if your lucky enough to get a pike or musky you have a better chance of landing it...

Mike

Edited by Musky Mike

Pretty much all I use for drifting and trolling on Nipissing.

A friend of mine in Iroquois Falls On, makes these for me.

Micro-wire with single hook. 6-8"

CIMG1750.jpg

CIMG1751.jpg

He makes these for pike.

CIMG1766.jpg

Like I said....pretty much all I use. Tipped with minnow, worm, or leech.

CIMG1752.jpg

Rod Caster makes some nice harnesses.,

Good thread. I started making them last year so I'm totally new to this. I fish a flooded reservoir with lots of wood on the bottom so I got tired breaking off expensive harnesses and started making my own. Not sure it's alot cheaper,honestly.

Troll with a 2 oz. bottom bouncer.

15lb seagar fluoro line.

Colorado spinner blade #4.

Used tandem hooks but too many hang-ups. Single hooks only this year.

Worms most of the time.

Red hooks if the bottom is clean.

Cheap long shank mustangs if woody. (They often bend and you get off the structure)

Best blade seemed to be a yellow colorado #4 with a green diagonal stripe.

Dan O.

Nice baits guys!!! Bigugli, I had no idea you made/sold baits!!! Those are killer looking

I've been doing alot lately, but tomorrow I'll be spending all night making tackle (can't wait).

I'm also making some castable one using an egg sinker, one of my personal favs.

I fish skinny water most of the time, so I like the colorado. I use various sizes. 6mm beads, plastic or glass. Matzuo sickle hooks is what I use most of the time, one black nickel, one red (the trailer). I use folded clevises and plastic quick change (especially for experimenting).

Line varies depending what I plan to do with the rig, but 14lb mono is used most.

My favorite color combo is black/silver, works well shallow or deep, clear or stained.

I'll post up some pics from mine and some from my son as well, tomorrow.

Anyone still prefer a treble hook as the trailer???

how do you guys snell, how many raps etc???

I use 10 wraps generally. Where I can, I'll use a palomar(like with a treble hook trailer).

And I must admit I'm kinda obsessed with the knot, lol. If it's tied nice, I really appreciate thattease.gif

On my crawler harness I like using 2 blades, for minnow presentations, I just use on blade generally.

The amount of beads I use varies, usually 6 though, one or two above the blade

Because water colour around Southern Ontario can be so dramatically different I tie numerous colour patterns with no preference. For targetting pike I go with willow leaf, but I have found, when drifting a harness, it does not matter what the target may be, everything will pick it up.

Just outta curiosity, I snelled a hook the other night with 8lbs Nanofil.

I put the hook in a vice, and tied a palomar knot to split ring, then to a digital scale (I know, far from scientific). It broke at 9lbs give or take on the snelled end. Actually, it didn't even break the line, just slipped the knot. I was pretty surprised

The line snelled easily but obviously, the line is far too limp to actually use in a crawler harness.

Just thought I'd let you all know

Bugugli, that chart. in the bag had me salivating.

Here is a pic of the top end of my castable rigs, works very well.

Jan162012009.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

Just outta curiosity, I snelled a hook the other night with 8lbs Nanofil.

I put the hook in a vice, and tied a palomar knot to split ring, then to a digital scale (I know, far from scientific). It broke at 9lbs give or take on the snelled end. Actually, it didn't even break the line, just slipped the knot. I was pretty surprised

The line snelled easily but obviously, the line is far too limp to actually use in a crawler harness.

You might be better off tying a Palomar with a double twist

Edited by bigugli

I make my own crawler harnesses because I cannot find any harnesses that use quality hooks.

I use Colorado spinner blades almost exclusively because I want lots of action at very slow speeds.

I bought some great beads at Walmart a couple of years ago. They are called "miracle beads". Wow, they look like cat's eyes and when a light shines on them, they glow like a cat's eyes. They are 6 mm in size.

I do not use fluorocarbon because of weak knot strength. Instead I use clear mono leader material in about 14 lb test. I guess even 20 lb test would do just as well. I tie a good swivel above and below the beads and blades then I add my 2 or 3 snelled hooks using 10 or 12 lb clear mono. I tie the snelled hooks to the bottom swivel. I vary the distance between the blades and the snelled hooks (6 to 20 inches). I found that walleye seem to prefer it this way or maybe the walleye I fish are more skittish. Anyway, I fish log infested waters and the depth varies greatly in the river where I do most of my fishing. If I do get snagged, I only lose the hooks.

My blades and bead set up is in one package and the snelled hooks with long leader are in another package. There is no chance of tangles.

I make my own crawler harnesses because I cannot find any harnesses that use quality hooks.

I use Colorado spinner blades almost exclusively because I want lots of action at very slow speeds.

I bought some great beads at Walmart a couple of years ago. They are called "miracle beads". Wow, they look like cat's eyes and when a light shines on them, they glow like a cat's eyes. They are 6 mm in size.

I do not use fluorocarbon because of weak knot strength. Instead I use clear mono leader material in about 14 lb test. I guess even 20 lb test would do just as well. I tie a good swivel above and below the beads and blades then I add my 2 or 3 snelled hooks using 10 or 12 lb clear mono. I tie the snelled hooks to the bottom swivel. I vary the distance between the blades and the snelled hooks (6 to 20 inches). I found that walleye seem to prefer it this way or maybe the walleye I fish are more skittish. Anyway, I fish log infested waters and the depth varies greatly in the river where I do most of my fishing. If I do get snagged, I only lose the hooks.

My blades and bead set up is in one package and the snelled hooks with long leader are in another package. There is no chance of tangles.

Awesome info, glad to see you passing on your knowledge here as well as other places. Thank you worthy.gif

i have been making my own for at least 30years !!!! i will try to put up a few pics,but the ideas are endless,i have tried many,many different lines,and knots and blade sizes,you name it i have tied it or tried it !!!! and they will just about outfish everything for eyes !!! since zebra muscles have come into town i have used pretty much trilene XT FOR THE LINE AS IT SEEMS TO STILL STAND UP BETTER THAN MOST,I HAVE EVEN TRIED BRAID,IT does not stand up as well,but the two critical things for sure is the hooks,and the placement of them as well as the line,i have also made harnesses for minnows to troll with them as well,and yes i was using stinger hooks 25 years ago before most people even were aware of them,even the MNR when they stopped me one day had never even seen them or heard of them....if you want some tips pm me and i can help you out its just too much to post...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I typically use 20lbs, nylon coated micro wire with whatever design/color suits me at the moment. I'll use 14lbs mono if I need that added stealth factor. I also make mini ones (go-getters) for specs... they work amazing with a piece of worm.

For hooks, it's typically the bait holder Mustad Ultra Points. I prefer the "red" hooks because they don't rust.

My girlfriend sees it as making crafts, so she usually lends a hand when I'm making them haha.

100_0124.jpg

100_0123.jpg

Thats true Sinclair. I use 10 wraps on my lighter line rigs, maybe nothing more than habit??? I only use 6 wraps with any line heavier then 14lb.

I'm heading to town soon to go get stocked up on supplies. Gonna hit the craft shops for beads, the girlfriend uses them for crafting anyways, lol. We usually find some really cool beads at low prices.

Gotta pick up an assortment of colorados too, and might even pick up some dakota blades to try out. Any input on those blades???

Folded and quick change clevises, and some Trilene big game (this time around) and I'll be all set for the night!

Gotta pick up an assortment of colorados too, and might even pick up some dakota blades to try out. Any input on those blades???

I have a few. If they'll be more expensive than the Colorado, don't buy them just because they're different. The only difference I see is that they offer a little less resistance in the water...hardly perceptible.

I like the idea of a lighter leader. Never thought of that and so I lose everything in this wood on the bottom of the Ottawa.

Dan O.

I like 3 small hooks instead of 2 big ones. Don't ask me why, but it's always that last hook that stings them.

That's weird Bill because this summer my most productive harness (I'm knew to this) was a cheap Can Tire harness. It had little tiny hooks about #10's in a steelhead hook. They seemed to catch walleye well.

Dan O.

I have a few. If they'll be more expensive than the Colorado, don't buy them just because they're different. The only difference I see is that they offer a little less resistance in the water...hardly perceptible.

Thanks for the feedback Roy, much appreciated.

When I looked into them, it always said they'll spin at slower speeds, which is what got me interested. But if you read the comments on them it seems they don't spin well at slower speeds.