Do you keep your bass ?

Row Boat

I kept them long enough for the weigh in, a couple of decent fish that died I had mounted about 25 years ago. Just not in any particular hurry to keep any fish, I have kept a walleye or steelhead just because the wife and kids like them.

Shortage of walleye in the Kawarthas probably relates to the amount of traffic those lakes get and the amount of walleye kept, food supply is probably also a factor. Those lakes have been getting hit hard since I was a kid.

Most of the ppl I fish with don't eat fish, so often they go back. Once in a while I will keep a bass for breakfast, but mostly it is catch and release.

Now in saying that, the kids catches (which are rare at best) get put on the table, usually small, they are walked through catching, cleaning, and cooking them. Thing with kids is, the fish tend to swallow the hook... we are working on that. All three of my boys love fish because of the simple fact that they put it on their own plate.

Yes we always will keep a few smallies and largiesa few times during the summer but they are always from cold clear water in quebec or around the baqncroft area,the cold water keeps them nice and firm and fresh, :P but only a few times per summer i like other fish alot more that bass,like walleyes and perch and of course crappy,so its nice to see there are some of us that will eat bass,man some people would eat a dog or a cat before they would kill a bass,for whatever reason do people think that all bass have to be released...oh well thats the way i guess,and since so many are always being released in some lakes they say the size of bass are getting smaller,but then some ares are getting bigger and more bass than ever before.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I think all fish taste good, just depends on the chef. :D

They are definitely the easiest fish to catch and most abundant fish in my area, can't keep the things off my hook no matter what I'm fishing for, the Wallies are everyone's favorite fish to eat and declining because of it, people look at me like I'm crazy when I release a Walleye. :dunno:

I guess its our fault that there are no longer any smallmouth in Lake Ont.

DUDE - I had my best day of bass fishing in Lake "O" last summer!!! fished nippising, nepawassi, and a few ponds back in sudbury, but hands down, one of my best days of fishing last summer consisted of over 30 smallies with a couple in the 3lb range all caught around the mouth of a creek in the GTA.

I didn't keep any that day as I already had a couple of eyes in the freezer (from the credit river of all places) but this year I'll be keepin' a few!

Cheers,

UF

I caught an 18" largie last summer in the lilies of some swampy, hot backwater on GBay. The fish was bleeding really badly, so I kept it for dinner. I soaked the filets for an hour in cool water, coated it in fish crisp and fried it up in butter. Tasted great! Go figure.