Speckle Hunt 2012 - Part Two

Leecher

After last Monday's weather fiasco, only to find the lake covered in slush, not even fishing and long drive round trip... I couldn't wait / pump to get back there knowing that the past freezing temps had harden the slush and increase the ice thickness B)

Well to my surprise, ice was a good 9" now (6" of black and 3" of white) B) A little bit of details... When I left home, temp was -7C, heavy overcast and no wind... perfect :D Arriving at destination, temp was -3C :blink: Was looking to be a mild session... Sun did came out B) Got a nice a little tan :) Went 10 for 14 :D Missed a great looking beauty at the hole :wallbash: and got my limit, WHOO HOO :clapping: When I left, temp was +3C :thumbsup_anim:

Did not take many pics except for these sorry :blush: Wish I could taken some of the amigos... they certainly had a good time too :thumbsup_anim: But the most important thing for me today was, it was my dad's birthday... he would of been 80 and dedicate this outing to him B) He would of been real proud of me :Gonefishing:

Hope you enjoy

Tight lines

Leechman

Time of departure... Sorry for the poor quality

DSC07423.jpg

Another female not able to hold her roe :w00t:

DSC07425.jpg

Group hug B):lol:

DSC07426.jpg

Edited by Leechman

Hey jaques it was SUPER AWESOME to be out on the ice with you on this special day .

yeah we had a nice day but somehow somewhere i think you dad had a litle part in this.

giving us one of the best trout outting iv ever had . + limit out + no wind + sun shine + good frined and a good time. :clapping::clapping:

you ask for pictures of the amigos... then you shal recieve.

craig.

IMG_0308-1.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

myself

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324-2.jpg

and paul.....aka whitespinnerbait.

IMG_0318.jpg

:sarcasm: ok maybe he smells like trout..... :sarcasm:

tight lines MON CHUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the group hug!! Way to go.

Thanks Grimace!!!

Congrats on limiting out Jaques !!

Did you notice the Snowy Owl eyeing your trout?

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv49/WhiteBaldEagle/304.png

Thanks Paul!!! I didn't notice but heard a lot of commotion coming out of the mountain behind me throughout my stay :w00t:

Great job. I bet those taste like candy. Cool shot too WhiteSB

Thanks WeedLine!!!

A great catch Jacques! Some of those fish have shoulders.thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks Chad!!! Yeah a few of them do B)

Hey jaques it was SUPER AWESOME to be out on the ice with you on this special day .

yeah we had a nice day but somehow somewhere i think you dad had a litle part in this.

giving us one of the best trout outting iv ever had . + limit out + no wind + sun shine + good frined and a good time. :clapping::clapping:

you ask for pictures of the amigos... then you shal recieve.

craig.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/fishingbasspike/IMG_0308-1.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/fishingbasspike/IMG_0310.jpg

myself

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/fishingbasspike/IMG_0322.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/fishingbasspike/IMG_0324-2.jpg

and paul.....aka whitespinnerbait.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/fishingbasspike/IMG_0318.jpg

:sarcasm: ok maybe he smells like trout..... :sarcasm:

tight lines MON CHUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kev, it was awesome to share the hard surface with you today B)

I'd been talking to my dad even before I arrived and think he did help me a lot at achieving this goal :) He was my mentor when it comes to fishing :worthy: Sorry I didn't share the next lake you guys targeted but this was something I had to do by myself :)

Beautiful!

Thanks Joey!!!

I knew you'd find some way to manage B)

Nice fish guys

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv49/WhiteBaldEagle/132.png

AWESOME :clapping:

Thanks Brian!!!

Another awesome report Jacques. You guys have a awesome spot there for fishing. Can't wait to see the next report.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Chris!!! I'm going back :Gonefishing: for sure... next weekend :)

good work Jaques, waking up to the bear i see. some nice coloured fish too.

Thanks Matt!!! Yeah The Bear is always on when driving up there B)

Way to go Jacques!! You are having one heck of an ice season so far!

One week until we hit the road for some ice, FINALLY!!!

Thanks Frankie!!! I sure do B) Hope it continues :) Good luck next week!!!

congrats leech awesome day

Thanks Corvy!!! You bet :)

Nice pix. Thanx for sharing. I have never fished specs thru the ice. Looks awesome! I suppose u have to go back to that same lake HA HA

Thanks wormdunker!!! They are fun to catch and finicky sometimes... changing up presentations is key :)

Awesome Jacques!

So how are you guys catching these little stockers? In tight to shore in front of beaver dams, etc, in deeper water off points, are you jigging for them? What? Spill the beans, inquiring minds want to know. :)

Thanks Mike!!! I was about 30' from shore, in 8' to 10' fow, no structure in sight, sand bottom, dead sticking salties with this setup... salties did the most damage, I caught 8 :)

DSC07428.jpg

It has a quick strike aluminum indicator at the end that retracts

DSC07431.jpg

I tied my own lead (12Lbs mono ice type) and used the smallest hooks (Mustad Octopus / Beak, Ultrapoint size 4) I could find

DSC07430.jpg

This week, they were finicky compared to last and didn't want their food going up and down :lol: Also they seemed to be attracted to chartreuse... last time it was white. Caught a couple on a 1/4oz jig, dressed with power grub tipped with 1" Gulp minnow and not jigging, the rod was sitting in it's holder when the strike occurred.

Awesome report....AGAIN!

Real nice to get a great day out to dedicate to your pops Jacques....good job.

I think i am gonna move there....i cant buy a fish here it seems!

Thanks Simon!!! He was on my mind all day long :)

Keep at it... some are bound to come out to play sooner or later :) Just a matter of time I suppose :)

That's about as simple and as basic a set up as you'll ever see. Obviously it works!

You guys ever tempted to sneak a little baggy of live minnows in with you? :)

That's gotta be one of the dumbest angling laws ever.

Simple and effective for sure Mike :thumbsup_anim: I have 2 of those rods for dead sticking... they're roughly 20 years old :w00t: don't think they make them anymore... haven't seen any in stores. I'm sure the rod builders on this site could make one very easily. Another product that I think I'll throw in the arsenal is Gulp paste in pink...

Chartreuse, white and pink are the most productive colors for specks... ya just can't go wrong with them :) Just got to figure out which one they want :)

As for the minnows, never cross my mind... that law been in place for such a long time now. It's even against the law to drive on that road with live minnows in your car... if caught, get a fine :w00t: Only other alternative is leeches and dew worms or salties :)

Fantastic report Jacques. Brings back memories for me when I use to do the same thing. Keep the reports coming.

Thanks Dan!!! I'll do my best :)

A great day on the ice!! Thanks for the report.

Thanks Will!!! You bet B)

Nice fish jaques were they all stocked fish ?.Solo paddler i,m guessing was joking about the live minnows (i hope)looks like u guys do well enough without them ,well played

Thanks wee scot!!! They are all stock. Usually that lake is closed for hard water... sure glad it's open this year :thumbsup_anim: There's not many around that are open up here.