Ice Hut Build

lovetofish

Hey bud, I framed houses for 5yrs and built well over 200 houses and never once used plywood for sheeting on exterior walls. In fact you have to go back 40yrs to find plywood sheeting,good exterior paint should seal it fine, it'a an ice hut not a castle, if in 5 yrs it needs alittle TLC then give it revamp.If you listen to all these internet carpenters you'll be rebuilding the thing 100x over and it'll cost thousands of dollars. Remeber it's an ice hut not a permanent residence.

Hey bud, I framed houses for 5yrs and built well over 200 houses and never once used plywood for sheeting on exterior walls. In fact you have to go back 40yrs to find plywood sheeting,good exterior paint should seal it fine, it'a an ice hut not a castle, if in 5 yrs it needs alittle TLC then give it revamp.If you listen to all these internet carpenters you'll be rebuilding the thing 100x over and it'll cost thousands of dollars. Remeber it's an ice hut not a permanent residence.

Yeah, but when you build a house, don't you cover that chipboard with tar paper, and then expect that to be covered with some kind of siding? I can't remember seeing too many houses with nothing but painted OSB as an exterior. I've seen a few sheds like that, but not old ones that still look good.

By "a little TLC", what do you mean? If the chipboard has taken on water, swelled or started to break down...another coat or two of paint isn't going to help. You'll be looking at ripping off the bad stuff and replacing it with new. If you use OSB again, you'll just be doing it again in a few years. Why not take it off now, salvage it for your shelves or interior paneling, and use something that will last a lot longer?

It might not be a "permanent residence", but there's no reason you can't build something that will last a darn near a lifetime. Also, just because it's "[only] an ice hut", there's no reason it has to be a piece of junk.

A house is different than a fish hut. You can use what you like, like I said before. I'm just suggesting with my over 30 years building them.

Just remember don't leave anything in your hut you don't want stolen, block it up with pieces of wood, not cement blocks, which I have seen. :dunno: Keep an eye on the ice conditions for your hut off time. If you leave stuff outside your shack, the wind has away of making things disappear. Ventilation with your heat sources, we want to see your reports not your name in the obits. GPS and compass for whiteout conditions.

Enjoy, good fishin, see you on the ice.

Have you ever notice that after a wind storm the new homes are missing vinyl siding and shingle on their roofs while the much older homes are intact....ever wonder why that is....most times it's because the newer homes are built with cheap chipboard that doesn't hold the nails as well as plywood....you get what you paid for.

BTW many builders here have now gone back to plywood for roofs and siding.... :clapping:

I have been a carpenter for 10+ years, and in the trades for close to 20... cookie cutter homes are built with OSB for sheathing etc... however high end custom (the ones I built) are ply.

But I guess I am an internet carpenter... what do I know...

G.

I'm in the trade also....

bottom line - osb is cheaper/less quality

ply- more $$/ better quality

Maybe try some housewrap if you keep the osb and add reflectors?

Anyways, good luck in your shack this winter!

oh and Billybob your siding nails should be hitting studs anyway! haha

TDunn

Wow guys.... Didn't mean to start an argument... lol. We decided to continue with the build and if she needs some TLC in a few years, then so be it. Got some work done on the roof yesterday, lookin pretty good!!! The boys and myself are really starting to get excited now!!!

Hear are a few pics..

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/lovetofish123/2011-12-27224706.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/lovetofish123/2011-12-27224649.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/lovetofish123/2011-12-27223920.jpg

Ps. That is ply on the roof

Were still going to add a roof vent and cover the roof with aluminum.

And lots of staining and styrofoam work to do

lovetofish

Wow guys.... Didn't mean to start an argument... lol. We decided to continue with the build and if she needs some TLC in a few years, then so be it. Got some work done on the roof yesterday, lookin pretty good!!! The boys and myself are really starting to get excited now!!!

Hear are a few pics..

2011-12-27224706.jpg

2011-12-27224649.jpg

2011-12-27223920.jpg

Ps. That is ply on the roof

Were still going to add a roof vent and cover the roof with aluminum.

And lots of staining and styrofoam work to do

lovetofish

Looking good lovetofish :thumbsup_anim: Keep up the good work :good:

• 3 weeks later...