Using a boat when the temps drop below 0 ??

coreyhkh

Hey guys I got a new boat this year it was used but has a 4 stroke Suzuki and my dad made me get it winterized in October. But I have noticed alot of you guys kept fishing. My question is can the boat or engine get damaged or are they OK, or do you have to do something special to keep them safe.

thanks

As soon as you remove the boat from the water, make sure the motor is tilted straight down, it will let the water run out of the water pump(impeller). If you have a livewell, make sure it's drained or don't use it in the cold. If it's a small motor, see if you can bring it inside, upright on a rack.

As soon as you remove the boat from the water, make sure the motor is tilted straight down, it will let the water run out of the water pump(impeller). If you have a livewell, make sure it's drained or don't use it in the cold. If it's a small motor, see if you can bring it inside, upright on a rack.

After the water has drained out of the motor, turn it over without starting it. This will release any water that has collected on the impeller.

Other than that, don't leave the fish sitting in the boat.....they will freeze by the time you get home.

Safe Fishing First,

Jack

Boating in cold weather is much different then boating in temps below freezing. Ice will form on the boat and greatly impact handling and safety.

You're out on the water and temps go from 6 degrees to 2 degrees you get colder, but no big deal. Temps go from 3 to minus 1 and you can have some real problems.

In 10 seconds, give me a break. Obviously, I disagree.

You may have been sold on this, somewhere down the line, but the term Destroy is a little harsh.

its not the impeller but the seals that get damaged,,it takes roughly 30 sec.for the rubber seals to heat up and begin to melt with no water to cool them,,a few seconds will do no harm what so ever

-5 and up has been fine for myself...

Put vasoline in your rod guides to prevent icing up...

I'm still getting out in my boat... Only problem I've had this year... One morning we launched and it was -8... My throttle cable was frozen... Got the motor started and controlled the throttle manually for about 45 minutes till it warmed the cable...

After the water has drained out of the motor, turn it over without starting it. This will release any water that has collected on the impeller.

Other than that, don't leave the fish sitting in the boat.....they will freeze by the time you get home.

Safe Fishing First,

Jack

I don't think he meant start it, just turn it over.

YA you got that right Spooner...........This will do no damage and prevent the impeller from being damaged when the trapped water freezes.

Safe Fishing First,

Jack

its not the impeller but the seals that get damaged,,it takes roughly 30 sec.for the rubber seals to heat up and begin to melt with no water to cool them,,a few seconds will do no harm what so ever

Having sold 100% of Mercury Marines seals and 60% of OMC's seals for many years the seals won't melt. The seals for the most part are either polyacrylic or nitrile rubber which are thermoset materials. They won't melt. Failure mode for the seals would be hardening, cracking or wear. I would expect them to out live the engine parts with no water for cooling and/or lubrication. While I don't think a short crank is a problem especially with the kill switch shut off I doubt that it is necessary in yout get the motor vertical and let it drain well.

You wont have any issues at all. I run my boat in nasty cold weather all the time. It works just the same as in the summer. Make sure your batteries have a good charge, and giver. Drain the engine when you pull it out, and your good to go. Mine sits in the driveway all winter long, no problem, and has since '93!

The ONLY problem you can have due to freezing temps is your lower unit getting water in it, then freezing and cracking the housing open. As long as your lower unit is full of fresh gear oil, and its not leaking, your fine. If its really cold, watch for ice build up, but I've never had that issue....I find for the most part, the water melts it off.

S.

Impellors get destroyed when you are too hasty at starting after dunking the boat. If any water was in there.. even a trace.. it can freeze the impellor to the housing. If you dunk it and fire it immediately you can tear the impellor. Be sure to let the lower unit "water soak" for a few minutes before hitting the key when fishing this time of year.

I've started my engine frozen a million times and I haven't changed the impellor in years. My engine also gets beat on like you couldn't even imagine. I swear you guys make this stuff up. Just giver, nothing to worry about. It won't hurt a thing!! Even if the motor wasn't properly drained, the amount of water that could accumulate isn't enough to cause anything to break. If the engine is running, it will make enough heat to keep it from freezing, and as soon as you pull hte boat out it will drain automatically.

Turning the engine over to clear the impeller is not needed, they are designed to drain if not in water.

S.

Impellors get destroyed when you are too hasty at starting after dunking the boat. If any water was in there.. even a trace.. it can freeze the impellor to the housing. If you dunk it and fire it immediately you can tear the impellor. Be sure to let the lower unit "water soak" for a few minutes before hitting the key when fishing this time of year.

Very good advice.

it takes roughly 30 sec.for the rubber seals to heat up and begin to melt with no water to cool them,,a few seconds will do no harm what so ever

There's a reason I said 10 seconds.....I'm involved with heavy rotating equipment and have timed sevearal different failures. For instance, a babbit bearing will fail, with no oil flow in 17 seconds. Hahaha

Edited by nofish4me