Lake Nipissing GTG on Callander Bay

Nipfisher

After a short delay my hut will be on the ice tomorrow. I obtained some rigid plastic sheeting last week and decided I should renovate my hut for added warmth and comfort.

Here are some of the interior pics from last year with unfinished walls.

CIMG2041.jpg

CIMG2038.jpg

Here are some new pics from today that show the improovements. I recycled some fibreglass insulation and put in some vapour barrier. Then covered it with the plastic sheeting. My boys were the 1st to decorate the walls and rule is if you sign your name you have to draw a fish. Look at my 2.5 year olds fish above his name.

CIMG2413.jpg

CIMG2412.jpg

CIMG2414.jpg

Rodcaster I would say Callander Bay is the South east part of the lake or am I wrong. I was there many years ago. If I remember correctly there is a park with lots of parking available in Callander to access the lake. Some directions would be appreciated. Thanx Wormdunker

will try to make it out with my girlfriend.

We need to learn how to icefish, last year was uneventful to say the least. Hopefully see you guys there. You think a Mazda3 could make it out to where this spot is? I had 'er on Simcoe last year with no problem, but if there's too much snow she might not make it haha

edit* ofcourse if the ice isn't thick enough we can always walk!

Edited by d_paluch

Rodcaster I would say Callander Bay is the South east part of the lake or am I wrong. I was there many years ago. If I remember correctly there is a park with lots of parking available in Callander to access the lake. Some directions would be appreciated. Thanx Wormdunker

Callander Bay is the far east bay on Nipissing. Take highway 94 into Callander, turn on Main Street and the Government dock is off of Landsdowne. I'm 90% sure that is where Blair is putting his shack. He'll confirm that later on.

will try to make it out with my girlfriend.

We need to learn how to icefish, last year was uneventful to say the least. Hopefully see you guys there. You think a Mazda3 could make it out to where this spot is? I had 'er on Simcoe last year with no problem, but if there's too much snow she might not make it haha

edit* ofcourse if the ice isn't thick enough we can always walk!

If there isn't much snow, your car will make it. If not I'll give you a ride with my trucksmile.gif

Hey d-pulch, I walked last year, and it was only 15 minutes. Depending on where the hut is, it makes for a nice walk.

Last year there was lots of snow. Some guys in a Civic buried it real good.

As as for learning some Ice fishing tricks, there's no shortage of experience up there. You'll come away with lots of new knowledge.

I'll be ready. Painting my hut today. I'll be on the ice in Sudbury this coming week end if I don't have to work. Sounds like a good time. How's the MNR & OPP in that area I don't mind giving someone a ride on my ATV. Simcoe is not good for carrying a passenger. Too many MNR/OPP!

Edited by wormdunker

HUT is on the ice! A little further then last year but not as deep. Sitting above 12 fow. Didn't do very well today (1 walleye, 1 perch, 1 pike in 2.5 hrs) but not too concerned. I will move the hut before the 28th if things don't pick up.

d-paluch - as of today you could drive your car out but we'll have to watch the slush. The ice will be no problem with vehicles right to the hut.

wormdunker - I will take some reference pictures and get directions for you all in the next couple days. I will also start a list of members attending.

Nipfisher

Rod Caster

Joeytier

Randy From Sturgeon

NAW

Livinforfishn

Spud7378

Lota Lota

BassAsin

add your name in this thread if you plan on attending. Confirmation is not required.

Edited by Nipfisher

Thanx Nip I'll keep an eye on this thread. How's your hut renovation coming? It looks awesome. I just have to do some finishing touches on my hut this week & get my gear mounted on the bike. How much ice at Callandar?

13+" of good ice. I'll be driving my truck now.

I will take some reference pictures and get directions for you all in the next couple days.

Blair,

Would it be possible for you to give a cumpas bearing from the boat launch where we parked last year, to your hut. With a rough distance.

If I'm walking out from the parking lot, that would be the easiest way for me to find the place.

Blair,

Would it be possible for you to give a cumpas bearing from the boat launch where we parked last year, to your hut. With a rough distance.

If I'm walking out from the parking lot, that would be the easiest way for me to find the place.

It is actually easier to find then last year.

When you walk out of the launch and get to the end of the dock, turn left (Heading South East). There is an island there with a big white platform on it. There used to be a light house on it but it blew down in a wind storm several years ago.

When you get to the island you are looking right at the door of my hut.

Here is an old picture of the lighthouse. My hut is almost exactly where the hut is in the picture.

Callander Bay Lighthouse

My guess is it would be less then 10 minutes to walk. Only a minute in the truck :thumbsup_anim: .

Edited by Nipfisher