Lake Simcoe Bait Lockdown

GBW

Found on another site...

VHS (viral hemorrhagic septicemia) has been confirmed in gobies, perch, and bullheads in Lake Simcoe. The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) responded late this past December by creating a new zone around Simcoe up to Gravenhurst where baitfish movements by commercial sellers will not be allowed in or out as of January 1, 2012.

article

Well we all saw it comming so I guess its time to learn new fishing techniques.

I have always been a bait fisherman mainly if I may speek for my self it realy pisses me off when ignorant people bring bait in from other regions :wallbash:

No respect for local eco systems :wallbash:

Ignorance is not bliss but rather a pain in the :asshat: for those that respect nature :wallbash:

Rant done (4 now)

Edited by saltydawg

Sadly, vhs will make its appearence in most waters. We rant and rave,but the true lawbreakers are.

goverment,shipping, . Invasive species we have are to many to type. Here where i live in southern ontario,we have watched, diseases and different species invade. just think.With global warming,inaction from goverments,whats to come.. if one looks for laws on the books from our own mnr,a kid could do better. in lsc you can use canadian minnows, but u.s. visitors cant use them if there purchased in michigan, even if there dipped from the same lake.

we need folks that actually understand biology, not pencil pushers.

The unfortunate fallacy of the OMNR's approach to VHS management is that VHS doesn't just "show up" and get detected immediately. For the VHS virus to replicate in individual fish, and spread through the population and into multiple species, it takes time. If VHS is detected in a waterbody, it's a pretty sure bet that it's been there for a year or two already prior to detection.

So - the OMNR allows baitfish harvest and distribution out of Simcoe until suddenly it comes up positive, and then they lock it down. Guess what? In all likelihood, VHS has been shipped out of Simcoe in emerald shiner catches for the last couple years. Wherever those emeralds were taken and used as bait has a very real chance of becoming VHS positive now itself.

Too little, too late.

Edited by vtbass

Need emerald shiners for walleye on Nipissing during the winter. My guess is we will see prices of $10-12 a dozen when the supply starts to run out.

Need or want...?

I haven't seen a situation yet where artificails/lures/dead bait can't keep up with live bait...

You just have to put in time with different presentations... And work your lure...

No more dead sticking...

Found on another site...

VHS (viral hemorrhagic septicemia) has been confirmed in gobies, perch, and bullheads in Lake Simcoe. The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) responded late this past December by creating a new zone around Simcoe up to Gravenhurst where baitfish movements by commercial sellers will not be allowed in or out as of January 1, 2012.

article

Does this mean that the minnows cannot be harvested and moved out of the area or that they cannot be harvested at all?

Need or want...?

I haven't seen a situation yet where artificails/lures/dead bait can't keep up with live bait...

You just have to put in time with different presentations... And work your lure...

No more dead sticking...

On certain days dead sticking is the most productive. We generally have one tip-up out (dead sticking) with just a split shot and hook and shiner while we jig inside. However when the herring (cisco) are biting they will hit the jigs. Kind of a pain in the butt because the stink. Perch can be caught on either. There are times when a Sweedish Pimple or Williams will get you some eyes. Usually the big ones.

On certain days dead sticking is the most productive. We generally have one tip-up out (dead sticking) with just a split shot and hook and shiner while we jig inside. However when the herring (cisco) are biting they will hit the jigs. Kind of a pain in the butt because the stink. Perch can be caught on either. There are times when a Sweedish Pimple or Williams will get you some eyes. Usually the big ones.

i started using a wind-lass tip up as my "dead stick"

it harnesses the wind and jigs your line for you... this really helps with dead bait... you can even put a light spoon on (thin metal) during heavy winds and ill will really bounce...

I truly fish like a madman in the summer, don't stop to eat, drink, nothing...but come winter, if I can't just sit there and stare at 2 orange flags while doing absolutely nothing I ain't going

Rizzo, you're welcome in my hut anytime. You ever get up to Nipissing P.M. We can stare at the tip-ups all day. Sometimes we just let the perch pull on the minnows. Not worth running outside sometimes if you know it's a perch.