Lost my bestest fishing buddy

bigugli

DSCN1716-1.jpg

First, let me thank all of you for your kind words and wishes.

Despite the attack and the wounds. Peanut was still quite spunky and lively. Some of the injuries were healing.

Sadly the wounds to her skin would not heal and the skin kept deteriorating. It was only a matter of hours before it would begin to rot. I could not let her suffer. Now she is at peace in a far better place.

Many think, "big deal, it's only a dog!" Well she was not just a dog. She was an individual, a real personality who loved unconditionally and was loved. I've never known a dog to actually hug and not let go, or give a contented moan when you hugged it back.

But she was more than that. The past few years have been less than kind, as some already know. My wife and daughter would both be in hospital for weeks on end. I had to throw my son out because of the trouble he kept bringing home. During those lonely, frustrating days and nights, my only friends to turn to were my dogs. When I was ill Peanut stood watch over me. Every night Peanut always crawled under the covers to snuggle beside me. Peanut, especially was my ray of sunshine. Always happy and excited to see me as I walked in the door. Always ready to go the moment you mentioned "car", "walk", or "fishing"

000_2548.jpg

She was my shadow wherever I went. Only exception was when fishing buddies like Dave or Bill came by, then I was chopped liver. But forever a happy dog. Even in these last days. I truly feel as though I have lost a little child.

DSCN1326-1.jpg

I will surely miss her..

I am so sorry to hear about peanut, there was nothing you can do but to allow peanut to be in a better place.

I guess for a few here on the board, and I can say this for myself as well. When it rains, it pours!!!!!!!!!

Walk with your chin up high and remember the happier times, no matter how angry one wants to be...........

I am still here for a bit, stop by anytime unannounced if you wish Bruce.

That's about the nicest tribute to a friend I've ever read Bruce.

My little Marvin is about the same size as Peanut and ever since this terrible thing happened I've been thinking about her.

From someone who loves dogs as much as you Bruce, you have my very deepest sympathies & condolances.

It's very sad indeed.

Jeez Bruce, I'm just so sorry to hear Peanut didn't make it :(

So very sorry for your loss and that is a beautiful, heartfelt tribute.

Ever since your thread about Peanut being attacked, I keep a real eye open for bigger dogs out there when I walk Ralphie. Something I never thought about before.

Remember the good times and know that he loved you very much. Sounds like he was there for you no matter what and you two had a unique, loving relationship that was mutually beneficial.

Peanut sounds like he was a great companion so hold that in your heart forever.

Joey

I am a firm believer that you can tell A LOT about a person by how the treat their pets and Its apparent you are a very caring man.

I fully understand your anguish unfortunately...

I have had to put down a pet once and have never since forgotten that day.

I don't regret the decision as it put an end to his suffering but it was by far the single hardest thing I have ever had to do.

A "planned" loss that gives you time to say good bye does not by any means make it easier....if anything I believe to be harder.

Having to make that decision...this time of year... when the situation is a result of someone's negligence..that is as tough a spot as they come.

You have My deepest sympathies,

Wow, this is not something I was hoping to read here for a long time to come. My sincerest condolences Bruce and I hope you keep the happy memories Peanut shared with you, deep in your heart where it will give you strength and peace of mind. As others said, this is something only dog/pet owners can really appreciate and I hope the words you read here help you in your time of loss.