Lake of the Woods - Muskie trip

gone_fishin

So, as the title says, I'm planning a trip to LOTW at the end of next summer. We've got a cabin at a resort in Sioux Narrows already booked, and even though it's 8 months away, i'm pretty pumped!

I did a search on this site for prior posts, but that seemed to come up empty.

I'm an avid Muskie fisherman (caught close to 100 over the past 3 seasons), so my main focus will obviously be Skis, with secondary targets being Walleye and Pike.

i've got a question for the community here... and hopefully a couple people have fished LOTW with some success for the aforementioned species.

are there any predominant colour patterns that are prevalent that i should have before heading up there? a lot of the water that i fish (closer to home), black/orange is generally the colour pattern that works best for me, however, i've heard that isn't the case on LOTW for the Muskies up there...

I'd like to start preparing for the trip in advance... picking up baits as time leads up to the trip... that is usually much easier than getting a whole bunch of baits all in one shot.

As always, i thank you for any input you are willing to give!

Scott

Sounds like a good trip for you. You'll probably end up using what you've always used based on your confidence level. Where muskies and pike are concerned, if it moves, it's food. You'll also never go wrong with a perch pattern no matter where you fish. I know this is no help to you but it's what I believe. Good luck to you.

every musky I've caught on LoTW has been while fishing walleye, I know a few guys who spend thousands on musky tackle and spend hours hurling them into the shallows but that isn't for me. I get musky and pike by accident and they always go after a minnow and spinner. so,,,,, I would think that any artifial lure that is coloured along the lines of a minnow would be effective.

I know a guy on Eagle lake that fishes musky in the fall by using big (10-12 inch ) sucker minnows so maybe something that looks like a sucker would also work

Not sure style of fishing you prefer, but the double bucktails up there were definetly the producers! You will see plenty of fish that have seen plenty of baits, your ability to figure 8 each cast will make the difference. The cowgirls just seemed to make em eat in the 8. Black and orange, the chart/black, and chart/white worked best for us. I think it was mainly just contrast patterns that they honed in on. We got a couple on perch believers as well. I don't know what the water is like in Sioux but the south east/ Sabaskong was ultra dirty water and the Kenora Big Narrows area was gin clear. We fished the clear water with only a couple of follows in a day. Next time I head up we will spend all the time up in Kenora end. Good Luck, you will be hooked on the structure up there! The musky mecca!

Not sure style of fishing you prefer, but the double bucktails up there were definetly the producers! You will see plenty of fish that have seen plenty of baits, your ability to figure 8 each cast will make the difference. The cowgirls just seemed to make em eat in the 8. Black and orange, the chart/black, and chart/white worked best for us. I think it was mainly just contrast patterns that they honed in on. We got a couple on perch believers as well. I don't know what the water is like in Sioux but the south east/ Sabaskong was ultra dirty water and the Kenora Big Narrows area was gin clear. We fished the clear water with only a couple of follows in a day. Next time I head up we will spend all the time up in Kenora end. Good Luck, you will be hooked on the structure up there! The musky mecca!

Good Info!

The other advice I'd give you is to hire a 'good' guide(not some teenage kid from the nearest Lodge!) for the beginning of your trip, its a huge Lake with lots of structure, I haven't been but I imagine its pretty Overwhelming at first.

From Sioux Narrows, you'll be a hop, skip and a jump from Dryberry Lake. You'll have to pay to stay there or get your boat trailered the last quarter mile or so. It's like a trophy fly in Muskie lake 20 minutes from Sioux Narrows that you drive your boat too. Highly recommended. Awesome Laker fishing there too.

Thanks for the info guys!!! it is very much appreciated.

Trevy, we're scheduled for the last week of august. So, probably won't be up there at the same time.

Esoxcrazy, twin-ten bucktails are my bread and butter... And I have heard that figure-8s will tempt more than 50% of the fish up there. I'm actually really excited for that.

Pigeontroller, we've discussed hiring a guide for the beginning of the trip, and that is in the works.

Thanks again guys!