Shopping for a new SUV, info and opinions please.

krawler

He wants decent mileage, the Tundra doesn't get it, lol.

In your first post you recommended a Tahoe/Suburban with a 350....they're doing good if they get 8 mpg.... :whistling:

Bottom line no truck or large SUV is going to give you great gas mileage.....if someone tells you different...well then, I have a bridge for sale... :)

But if you want a Big Strong RELIABLE truck get the Toyota Tundra and you will never go back to the Ford, Dodge or GM vehicles again...and yes they "may" cost more at the time of purchase but they hold their value much better when it's time to trade it in.

I have also owned many vehicles and I have sworn off the Big Three forever....Toyota Tundra for hunting/fishing for me....Honda Civic for running around when I want great gas mileage.

In your first post you recommended a Tahoe/Suburban with a 350....they're doing good if they get 8 mpg.... :whistling:

Bottom line no truck or large SUV is going to give you great gas mileage.....if someone tells you different...well then, I have a bridge for sale... :)

But if you want a Big Strong RELIABLE truck get the Toyota Tundra and you will never go back to the Ford, Dodge or GM vehicles again...and yes they "may" cost more at the time of purchase but they hold their value much better when it's time to trade it in.

I have also owned many vehicles and I have sworn off the Big Three forever....Toyota Tundra for hunting/fishing for me....Honda Civic for running around when I want great gas mileage.

Man I had an 01 civic and it was fabulous, replaced it with a Hianddry accent. I want my civic back :wallbash:

Edited by kuha

You're drunk if you think a Tahoe gets 8mpg. The Vortec 5.7 with the 4L80E is the defines the term reliable...

Let's not even get into the debate about the Tundra vs everything else. Should I start with the fact that the Tundra doesn't even have a SERVICEABLE REAR DIFF????????? That's the mark of a real truck if you ask me, lol.

Edited by BillM

You're drunk if you think a Tahoe gets 8mpg. The Vortec 5.7 with the 4L80E is the defines the term reliable...

Let's not even get into the debate about the Tundra vs everything else. Should I start with the fact that the Tundra doesn't even have a SERVICEABLE REAR DIFF????????? That's the mark of a real truck if you ask me, lol.

By who's mark.... :dunno:

Ford, GM and Dodge trucks need to be "serviced quite often" and that's why I no longer own one. My Tundra other then brakes and tires hasn't need any service in almost 5 years now.

Merry Christmas,

Bob

No point in servicing something that doesn't need servicing.

5.7 vortec is a great reliable engine. The stuff wrapped around that engine is not up to snuff in my opinion. Then again I couldn't afford any new truck unless it said tonka on it LOL

can't keep diff's in tundras anyway, why service them? I service all kinds of vehicles and they have there issues the extra money of a toyota product isn't worth it imo

Really, didn't know about that issue. Still wouldn't trade my 98 for a so called north american truck.

Edited by kuha

Really, didn't know about that issue. Still wouldn't trade my 98 for a so called north american truck.

the tacomas are a solid mid-size truck, nothing wrong with em, toyota kind of missed it with the tundra, but there getting there.

I'll be getting another truck soon i am leaning towards another z-71 offroad seirra, just something about thoses seats

the tacomas are a solid mid-size truck, nothing wrong with em, toyota kind of missed it with the tundra, but there getting there.

I'll be getting another truck soon i am leaning towards another z-71 offroad seirra, just something about thoses seats

I guess I just got spoiled with the old Taco. New Tundras are nice to look at, but a new Z71 would probably be just as cool. One way or the other I can't afford either one. Just spent 300 bucks on an rc truck for my kid. I could buy a used f100 for that price when I was 16 LOL

Me too. ;)

Man I had an 01 civic and it was fabulous, replaced it with a Hianddry accent. I want my civic back :wallbash:

I had '96,2000 and 2004 Civics and all were good cars.

The '96 and 2004 were better than the 2000 though.

Me thinks that one fell off the truck. :glare:

My '05 Pilot is a great vehicle too.

Toyota 4Runner is a very good truck - powerful engine, quiet ride, high quality, and very well made. But you said you were looking for more interior space than you have in your current Blazer, which is one thing the 4Runner just won't really give you. Like your current truck, it's a mid-sized vehicle that was originally designed around a V6. It might be a little more spacious that a four-door Blazer but not by that much.

The Chevy Tahoe gets excellent fuel economy for a full-size SUV. Last one I drove (GM press car) had the 5.3L V8, and cost about $90 to fill from E. For that, I got about 475 km, which works out to something like 15 L/100 km.

By comparison, I seem to recall that last time I drove a 4Runner (also a press car) it had the 4L V6 and cost about $70 to fill, taking me about the same distance. That works out to around 13 L/100 km.

Bear in mind, both of these are brand-new vehicles still being broken in. But you get the idea. There's not as much fuel economy difference as you might think.

If you want more space, you're most likely looking at a full-sized truck of some kind. If you want better fuel economy than you already get, you're most likely looking at a newer mid-sized. Sorry to say, you can't have both in a 4x4 SUV.

Hate to disagree but the 4Runner will have a TON more room that the style of Blazer you are coming from Krawler.Not a Tahoe, but the S-10 based Blazer, much more space for sure. And the new Runner's are even larger than my 2007.

If you go for the 4runner you will not be disappointed.

I have had Grand cherokees, Explorers, Xterra's, Jeep Wrangler and now drive a dodge Ram Megacab with the Hemi(should of got cummins)

Xterra (supercharged) = no problems until the head gasket went @1400000 KM

x.jpg

Jeep Wrangler= lacked cargo room, Unreal off road machine right out of the box. I really pounded that jeep heading in to brookie lakes up north and had no problems with it. Traded it in @ 60000km

x2.jpg

Dodge Ram Megacab= tons of room for both dogs, hunting/fishing gear, and six passengers. I have over 80000kms on this truck and its by far the best rig I have owned.

x3.jpg

Negative's are FUEL, parking in tight lots (truck is 20') and finally the big one..... can't get it down many ATV trails that I use to hit my brookie lakes. God forbid I ever had to turn it around on the trail.

Trucks like fuel, no way around it. Past few years I have become interested in the Toyota Hilux, Surf, and Land cruisers. I think BillM is right on the money about the Toyota.

R

That's what I'm talking about!!!! As long as there is a diesel swap in there somewhere :) :)

Hell, even the LX470/450s's with a lift and some tires are wicked off road. All that luxury and off road capabilities to boot!

We tow a 5th wheel + boat, no hiccups from our 2500HD Duramax.. The mileage isn't anything to write home about, but it will pull whatever you want.

Your right bill, the lexus 470 or 450 small lift with some 33's would be sweet. My fiancee does not see my vision! Back to reality, im leaning more and more towards the 4Runner. Without taking the step up in truck size or buying a pickup it is the biggest model in its class. Much larger than my 2 door blazer. test drove an xterra last night, very cramped inside not for us big people, although i do like the rugged exterior.

The 4runner is pricey in canada. Im getting quotes for 44 plus tax where as stateside im getting quotes for 33 plus tax for the same model.

Even with all these extra fees, buying in the states may be the best option!

The Chevy Tahoe gets excellent fuel economy for a full-size SUV. Last one I drove (GM press car) had the 5.3L V8, and cost about $90 to fill from E. For that, I got about 475 km, which works out to something like 15 L/100 km.

By comparison, I seem to recall that last time I drove a 4Runner (also a press car) it had the 4L V6 and cost about $70 to fill, taking me about the same distance. That works out to around 13 L/100 km.

Chevy Tahoe gets excellent fuel ecomony..15l/100km, that's horrible, I can get an easy 12 or less per 100 with a Quadcab 4x4, with a Cummins. The lug nuts on my truck take more torque than your little pizzant GM produces.. :devil:

I own a 98 Toyota 4runner with 396K on it. I love this SUV...it has done everything I have ever wanted it to do plus more with limited out of pocket expense. I will be driving it till it dies...at this point doesn't seem to be anytime soon. If I had 50K I'd be buying a brand new one. Well worth it if you keep your vehicles for a long time.

I have a 98 4runner with 396K on it and it's still running strong. Best car/truck/SUV I have ever owned..there's nothing I have ever wanted it to do it couldn't. There's a reason they cost a lot of up front, because they are built well. If I had 50K I would be buying a brand new one no questions asked. If you keep your vehicles for a while, a 4runner makes sense.

Chevy Tahoe gets excellent fuel ecomony..15l/100km, that's horrible, I can get an easy 12 or less per 100 with a Quadcab 4x4, with a Cummins. The lug nuts on my truck take more torque than your little pizzant GM produces.. :devil:

You sure you need all that torque on your lugs when your tranny blows itself to bits? :) :)