Shopping for a new SUV, info and opinions please.

krawler

Just got back from the Ford dealer, i like the F150!! I'm interested in the supercrew but dealer told me the 3.7 V6 is not offered in it, only the Eco-boost or the V8 is offered in the supercrew. Need to do some further research on the ecoboost. But the deals they have are really nice on new trucks.

Just got back from the Ford dealer, i like the F150!! I'm interested in the supercrew but dealer told me the 3.7 V6 is not offered in it, only the Eco-boost or the V8 is offered in the supercrew. Need to do some further research on the ecoboost. But the deals they have are really nice on new trucks.

I'm gonna say it just one more time... you DO NOT want the Eco-boost engine! Way too small an engine to be pushing a full size pickup let alone towing anything with it. That is why they are burning 18 litre/100 km vs the 5.0 only burning around 13litre/100km. The engine is working too hard to push an EMPTY truck. My older F150 had the 4.6 litre triton V8 in it.. just under 300 cu inches and it was working HARD to pull a heavy trailer... can't see the 3.7 even making it up the hill in North Bay from a red light at the McDonalds!

Edited by irishfield

Go with the bigger engine. Little is gained by going smaller in mpg, but you loose potential power. Newtons laws. The truck is still the same just a slightly heavier or lighter based on engine size. The truck without the engine still has the same mass. Sounds like the ecoboost is an ecobust.

I won't deny that the fuel mileage could be better on the Honda's. The full time all wheel drive knocks it down a bit.

Dave, your Pilot is only AWD when the speed sensors kick in and the computer realizes the front tires are going faster then the rears.. Other then that, it's FWD..

I wish Honda had a better AWD/4x4 system with locking diffs.. (My BIL owns a Ridgeline, same deal)

Dave, your Pilot is only AWD when the speed sensors kick in and the computer realizes the front tires are going faster then the rears.. Other then that, it's FWD..

I wish Honda had a better AWD/4x4 system with locking diffs.. (My BIL owns a Ridgeline, same deal)

True but have you seen our roads? :whistling:

Starting in late October until April they are snow and ice covered.

It's always kicking in the rears. I wish they were rear wheel drive with selectable 4X4.

The fact that they are FWD first creates a lot of wear on the front tires as even on dry pavement if you give 'er a little too much gas the fronts slip just a bit until the rears kick in. It's a minor annoyance but an area I think they can improve on.

It does however have a center locking diff which will equally sperad the power to all four wheels but it's not the same as real front and rear locking diffs. It does work pretty good though but it only works in 1,2 or R and only up to 30kmh.

When I got my new tires a couple of springs ago I wanted to see how they were so I drove to my friends place on the ice and put 'er in low locked and crawled up the granite outcrop in front of their cabin. I would have easily made it except my trailer hitch hung up on the ice because I did not have a big enough departure angle.

I was pretty impressed as it's pretty much a soccer mom mobile. It would be nice if Honda made a "real" truck. ;)

Alright, true gearhead sounding off here....38 cars since 16. I'm only 37, Do the math. I have a sickness. :(

I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the H.O. V8 and LOVED it...when it wasn't being fixed. 2 front hub assemblies per side, 2 rear carrier bearings, broken window regulators (oddly, they always went went in the dead of winter, for extra P.I.T.A factor),$1600 climate control fix...and on and on. If I wasn't a bit of a wrench myself I would have gotten rid of it in the first 3 years instead of driving it for 5. It got 12.8L/100K on the highway to the cottage and 17.8 around town, consistently. Won't buy a Jeep again...after owning 3.

I just recently bought an 07 4Runner with 171K. Yes, 171K. It drives better than any Jeep I ever had when new. I did my research and unless Toyota is including lifetime "massage spa" memberships with their 4runners, there is a reason they seem to have a cult following based on reliability. I tow a 16' full windshield boat around and get 14-15L/100km. Set the cruise at 110km/hr on a long trip and I see 11.5L/100km in the summer, unloaded. It swallows up big bins of camping gear with ease, has a true 4wd system with 2wd mode and does VERY well offroad stock. I just did BFG AT's with a small lift so I can get Bill M and Wallacio back into some nice brookie lakes without them ruiningmy stuff in an ATV and trailer... :whistling:

That said, I got sucked into the Ford Ecoboost marketing on their website and was very intrigued but I too have heard that 29 MPG is very optimistic, but the power is there for sure.

I would say drive a 4Runner. Maybe even save a whack of cash and looked used. They hold their resale value like nothing else, which will hurt you now but help you later.

My .02

Edited by JTorra

my father has had a f150 with the eco boost for about 6 months now and loves it no complaints ,gets a new f150 every 2 years and says this is the best one yet. He drives london to North Bay twice a month and says he gets 30mpg. He also pulls a 4000lb trailer with it and again says it does the job perfectly.

also to add my wife and I rented a brand new (only 20 kilometers on it) Silverado for a weekend,let me say this what a piece of crap the f150 has it beat everywhere ride,handling comfort. There is a reason gm holds down 4 out of the top 10 spots of worse reliability list. I have always been a gm guy and I still own a 1987 buick Grand National I bought brand new but it will be the last in my drive way.

Bill, Why so. I was hoping they might. I`ll be looking for a new vehicle in 3-4 years and had a diesel Hylux in mind (4runner version or truck).

I doubt Toyota will put out the $$$$ in order for it to meet current emission regs.. We can only dream!

After test driving a few vehicles this weekend, studying the specs, reading reviews online, i came to the conclusion that a big SUV or truck does suit my growing family and my lifestyle such as an F150 or Tahoe. However one obstacle stands in the way; the fact that these are all as bad on gas or worse than my current vehicle which was something that i wanted to improve on. The F150 does seem like a good choice but there are too many bad reviews on the ecoboost most people call it the ecoBUST, the V8 is a guzzler and the V6 does not come in the supercrew option. Other pickups on the market are likely just as bad or worse on gas than the F150. Size is a factor for me, i need ample storage space and the ability to tow an 18' lund, the only reasonable choice right now is the Toyota 4Runner. It's as close to a tahoe or f150 as i can get and still have ample space, comfort, reliability for the whole family. The cross over market is not for me and it seems as though the explorer is heading in that direction based on consumer demand.

Thanks for the help OFC! I appreciate all the opinions. I have not purchased the toyota yet so my mind is not completely made up. i enjoy the search for a new vehicle and enjoy reading everyones thoughts and opinions, so feel free to keep them coming, for all i know i could be wrong in my choice but will continue to do my research.

thanks again

k

4Runners are awesome trucks, but they are only a few mpg's above your typical V8 trucks... If Toyota only brought one over with the diesel under the hood.

www.fuelly.com is a great site to check real world mpg numbers.... I suggest you check it out.

Edited by BillM

4Runners are awesome trucks, but they are only a few mpg's above your typical V8 trucks... If Toyota only brought one over with the diesel under the hood.

www.fuelly.com is a great site to check real world mpg numbers.... I suggest you check it out.

I've been wishing for years that they would bring the diesel Landcruiser over here. ;)

diesel would be nice in anything, 3.0l jeep cherokee diesels, had 2 customers with them and they raved about fuel consumption, friend of mine with the duramax with a 8 inch lift and 35's gets the same mileage as my stock 4.8l z-71 sierra, whatever you decide most of the mid-size and full size get very comparable mileage go with the one that you like

I have a 96 4Runner and can vouch that it is very reliable. Mine has 315k on it. I will admit it could use some more power when towing, but given that I tow the boat 15ish times a year, it does good enough for my needs. On trips to Lakair, I get about 13L/100km towing 1500lb boat/trailer and full camping gear. In the city (not towing) I will get about 14L/100km.

Its getting close to buying a new SUV, my chev blazer is getting to small for the family and its time for a 4 door.

I dont like the trend of many manufacturers going to a cross over vehicle. That being said my choices are limited. I travel to the cottage every weekend throughout the year, need a suv for my finacee, 2 dogs and loads of gear. I often trailer my 16'lund Alaskan back and forth from toronto to the cottage and always pulling road trips for skiing or fishing. On occasion i like doing some minor off-roading as well.

Ideally something more fuel efficient than my current blazer would be nice. Options as of now are 2012 Nissan Xterra, Toyota 4runner and even considering and F150 but only the V6 model. I am willing to buy used if i can find a good deal.

If you have any experience with the above mentioned suv's please post your likes or dislikes and fuel mileage info. My budget is around the $40,000 mark.

Toyota Tundra 4 door TRD nothin finer in my opinion and more than enough room

thanks for your help.

i hope this post may help others in their search for an suv as well, i assume some people may be in the same situation as i am.

If anyone is interested in a fully loaded 03 Chevy Blazer ZR2 150,000km, please let me know.

Toyota Tundra 4door trd Edited by kuha

Im surprised many of you dont have opinions on the 4runner. it seems very spacious and the fuel mileage is good. I would love to get a Tahoe but am afraid the fuel mileage would be the same or worse than my blazer (16L per 100km). What is the fuel economy of a tahoe realistically.

Toyota 4Runner is a very good truck - powerful engine, quiet ride, high quality, and very well made. But you said you were looking for more interior space than you have in your current Blazer, which is one thing the 4Runner just won't really give you. Like your current truck, it's a mid-sized vehicle that was originally designed around a V6. It might be a little more spacious that a four-door Blazer but not by that much.

The Chevy Tahoe gets excellent fuel economy for a full-size SUV. Last one I drove (GM press car) had the 5.3L V8, and cost about $90 to fill from E. For that, I got about 475 km, which works out to something like 15 L/100 km.

By comparison, I seem to recall that last time I drove a 4Runner (also a press car) it had the 4L V6 and cost about $70 to fill, taking me about the same distance. That works out to around 13 L/100 km.

Bear in mind, both of these are brand-new vehicles still being broken in. But you get the idea. There's not as much fuel economy difference as you might think.

If you want more space, you're most likely looking at a full-sized truck of some kind. If you want better fuel economy than you already get, you're most likely looking at a newer mid-sized. Sorry to say, you can't have both in a 4x4 SUV.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

He wants decent mileage, the Tundra doesn't get it, lol.

12l per 100 k's on the highway with the 4.6l v8 Not too bad for the best truck on the market in my opinion. Price, well thats a different story. LOL

Edited by kuha