Shopping for a new SUV, info and opinions please.

krawler

If you are still looking at the Nissan look at the Titan instead of the Xterra. The fuel millage is not that different but the room and power of the Titan is a lot higher. The Titan is poor mileage in the city but the highway driving it is very respectable. I drive my Titan with a load of gear and a Ranger bass boat up and over the mountains to Canada every year and it is a real pleasure between the comfort and the ease of towing you will hardly feel the boat behind you. 14 Hours in the seat and you can still walk the next day too.

Art

I have a F150 crew cab with cap 4X4 5.4 Triton, Just got back from Quinte with 4 guys and gear in the back. Pulling my 176 Princecraft Pro 115hp Johnson and a 9.9 Honda kicker. I got 15.5 Miles to the gallon. I try and keep it under 2000 Rpm. It's a Truck, when I need the power, it's there. Steep ramps, Heavy loads, know worries.

One draw back, tires very expensive 18" $350.00 each.

Just a heads up example.

I have been thinking about going to the darkside :whistling: "RAM" nice looking truck, "but" it's a Dodge :spam::oops:

Regular fuel.

365 hp @ 5,000 rpm.

420 #ft of torque at 2,500 rpm.

Direct injected twin turbo.

Mileage is the same as the V8.

Seats are still uncomfortable. :tease::tease::tease:

I have two friends who have the same year F150 one with the ecobost V6 on with the 5L the ecobost V6 does everything and more than the V8 its smoother quieter better on fuel more power tows better. I belive he gets close to 1250km to a 120L tank 30mpg.

As for comfort thats a matter of personal preference I have been in many full sized trucks and also owned a Dodge Ram and I would say that the Ford is on par with all the full sized trucks comfort wize but alot better fit and finish on the interior

Dan

THere are many vehicles that would work for you, depends on what you like.

Towing you really can't beat a v-8 comfort is a matter of opinion i am 6'1 and 230ish i find the x-terra and toys a little cramped,the mitsus have a good drivetrain but feel cheap, jeep wranglers good off roading 2 doors limited in storage and I don't like how they feel towing cherokee not bad overall (still a dodge though)

again f-150 4 door not a bad truck, I feel they need work in the seats as well

dodge trucks look ok, most likely typical mopar quality control if you get a good one it'll be the best truck ever, otherwise you'll be cursing it.

I prefer gmc trucks, best seats in the biz awesome soundsystems big drink holders, best hwy fuel mileage in the biz and you should see the places my stock z-71 can go.

seen add in the paper this week 4x4 ext cab nevada edition 26700 and 4 door 4x4 was 28ish, looking at the build sheet for my truck from 2003 it was 43780 can't believe how trucks came down in price.

but with a family nissan armada, tahoe's/yukons chrysler aspen/durango are all good suv's to look into

I'm just finishing my 2nd year with my 2010 F-150 and so far it's been a fantastic truck. I've got the Supercrew and the space in the back seat is unbelievable, specially with the rear seat folded up and it would be fine for your dogs.

It's very comfortable, even the seats that Drifter doesn't seem to like :lol:

Mines got the 5.4 V-8 and it's more than enough power to haul my 3500 pound boat around. Mileage isn't all the great but I knew that going in and if I was concerned about gas mileage, I woulda bought a Honda Civic. :P

Couldn't have said it better myself, Lew.

I have the same truck and I really like it.

I have two friends who have the same year F150 one with the ecobost V6 on with the 5L the ecobost V6 does everything and more than the V8 its smoother quieter better on fuel more power tows better. I belive he gets close to 1250km to a 120L tank 30mpg.

Dan

Well I meet a cop at a ride check tonight that would totally disagree with that. While asking me if I'd been drinking he said to me "what engine do you have in this". I told him the 5.0 Coyote engine and he said "you're kidding me... No way.. 12.8 litres/100km!!". Shows how observant he was.. he'd already read my dash LCD! He said that "his piece of crap had the econoboost engine in it and he was averaging 18.1 litres/100km with it". I really made his afternoon when I told him I hadn't reset my computer since towing a trailer!!! :clapping:

How you can get quieter than the 5.0 in a 2011 is beyond me, I can't even hear it running half the time and think it has shut off.

How you can get quieter than the 5.0 in a 2011 is beyond me, I can't even hear it running half the time and think it has shut off.

An easy fix for that is a Magnaflow cat back exhaust system.

A couple of hours of your time and your anemic sounding F150 will sound like a manly real truck. :tease::tease::tease:

I have to vote for the F150. I bought a new 2011 in January of this year and it has been great. Its a 5LV8 FX4 with a supercab and 6.6`foot box. It pulls my 18`Crestliner fine and has been better than expected on gas if driven sensibly. I love the fact that I can just toss my gear in the box and go. Its a fine looking machine as well. I had initially wanted a Toyota 4 runner but by comparison they are much much more money for the same or similar options. The F150 comes in a V6 Echo boost which is supposed to be a phenomenal new engine. I have been driving my truck all year, its got 14000 kms on it and hasnt required an oil change yet. Its got a smart system which monitors oil and other engine and vehicle systems and notifies you when you need to change oil or need other service. Have not been into the dealership since I bought it. Mind you, I expect to bring it in soon for an oil change since the oil life is around 9% now I think.

I don`t think you will be disappointed, I havent been. The deals on pickups now just cant be beat and Ford is making a great product. My fiance and I tested all the major brands and were impressed with Ford the most, the Dodge Ram was a close second and we considered buying but the Ford was more affordable for us. Plus given that you are a big fella, the pickup will accomodate you comfortably and you can select a number of different configurations for the cabin and box. Plus tons of accessories if you like. We love the backup camera and sensors since its been an adjustment driving such a big vehicle and the camera is also great for trailering. Lets me hitch up all alone without any issues...

Have fun with your purchase!

An easy fix for that is a Magnaflow cat back exhaust system.

A couple of hours of your time and your anemic sounding F150 will sound like a manly real truck. :tease::tease::tease:

If I wanna listen to "purring" exhaust I'll go fire up an old Mopar in the hangar! :whistling:

Millhouse.. be glad you bought the 5.0, as that "Econoboost" is NOT a phenomenal engine !

Geez, I get 17 L/100 KM in my out of tune 2003 Ford Expedition (small V8)

I think I need to go test drive a F150 or maybe even the 250

If I'm nice to it on the highway I can get it down to 11.7 litre/100 km Paul with cruise set at 112kph. General all around driving I'm averaging about 13.6 litre/100km. I'd just returned from Newmarket on cruise at 118kph when I encountered the ride check on the 400/93 ramp and the computer was showing 12.8

Wow lots of interesting views and opinions. Seems like Ford is getting a lot of votes. I dont tow as much as most of you guys probably do therefore if i was going for the F150 i would likely go for the V6 without the ecoboost. Im just not sure if a pickup is geared toward my lifestyle.

Im surprised many of you dont have opinions on the 4runner. it seems very spacious and the fuel mileage is good. I would love to get a Tahoe but am afraid the fuel mileage would be the same or worse than my blazer (16L per 100km). What is the fuel economy of a tahoe realistically.

I am going to look at Jeeps tomorrow but i think they may be too small and too expensive for me. Also going to look at the F150 again and really consider a pickup as an option, i do a lot of city driving in toronto, mon-fri.

keep the info coming i enjoy the reading.

I am coming up on my one year anniversary with my '08 Yukon Denali. Because of the mileage I wouldn't recommend it but otherwise the truck is awesome. It's all wheel with the 6.2liter engine so mileage could be better...albeit it's a lot of fun when you air it out. The SLT's come with the smaller 8 and I don't think they are full time all wheel drive so they would be better in the mileage dept. Space, towing, comfort and features, the truck just can't be beat. Before you rule one out, take it for a drive. You will never look back.

Good luck

Rick

Wow lots of interesting views and opinions. Seems like Ford is getting a lot of votes. I dont tow as much as most of you guys probably do therefore if i was going for the F150 i would likely go for the V6 without the ecoboost. Im just not sure if a pickup is geared toward my lifestyle.

Im surprised many of you dont have opinions on the 4runner. it seems very spacious and the fuel mileage is good. I would love to get a Tahoe but am afraid the fuel mileage would be the same or worse than my blazer (16L per 100km). What is the fuel economy of a tahoe realistically.

I am going to look at Jeeps tomorrow but i think they may be too small and too expensive for me. Also going to look at the F150 again and really consider a pickup as an option, i do a lot of city driving in toronto, mon-fri.

keep the info coming i enjoy the reading.

The mileage will be slightly worse with a Tahoe

toyotas are nice but for the size of there engines the do get terrible city fuel mileage, friends with a 4 runner and a honda ridgeline actually use mor fuel than my 4.8l v8 seirra in all conditions all similar power i figure

I won't deny that the fuel mileage could be better on the Honda's. The full time all wheel drive knocks it down a bit.

I will also say that the new Sierra's are nice and get excellent mileage.

And as an added bonus the seats are really comfortable. :lol:

Krawler if you do go new with any manufacturer shop around, check out ALL the incentives and find out which ones are stackable. For example on some fords you can get up to 3000 on trading in your gas guzzler, another 1000.00 off if you are a costco member, plus whatever other incentives are available at the time of purchase. Dealer incentives change a couple of times a month too. Also check the small town dealerships if you are going with a real truck of any type. They will often smoke big city auto marts on truck pricing because they sell more trucks to farmers. The last truck I bought I got in a small town 15 minutes from where I live. 4 dealerships in KW, Hamiltion and the GTA told me they couldn't even buy the truck themselves for what I paid...

So many good deals and makes out there right now it is a bit of a buyer's market, bargain hard once you know what you want.