Drive from Hamilton to Red Deer

cwpowell

Hey guys, I know there is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm sure more than a handful of you have made this trek.

January first I will be leaving, I'm driving a new honda civic so no 4x4, also driving by myself.

Question is, would it be safer to drive through the states at this time of year or just stay on the trans canada

Would like to make a stop in Thunder Bay to see my aunt and uncle and rest for the night.

Where is my biggest concern for bad snowy roads?

Northern Ontario? The Prairies? The Dakotas? Minnesota/Wisconsin?

From tbay to kenora the roads aren't great. Although, as of now, they are not snow covered.

Once you get about half way through manitoba, smooth sailing. All straight roads that are kept up pretty well.

Sask can be pretty boring, I wouldn't suggest driving there while tired, especially if its snowing. It has a tendency to lull you to sleep. Once you hit alberta the roads should be really good, so no issues there

If you need any other info on this area shoot me a pm, glad to help out

Edited by manitoubass2

Hwy 17 between Sault Ste. Marie and Manitoba can be very nasty to drive in bad weather. Transports can drive a lot quicker than you in snowy conditions and when your driving near massive rocks cliffs and rock cuts in the snow, it can be white knuckle scary. It's a beautiful drive but if your worried about safety and getting caught in a closure, I'd recommend taking the south route.

MTO map with road conditions and closures

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/trip/map.shtml?ll=50.148746,-85.605468&z=5

Edited by Rod Caster

I know it was several hundred KM's more to drive across Canada to Camrose... then it was if I went through the States...

in fact it was a full day MORE of driving.... as for Red Deer, I am not sure as Red Deer is alot further north... but perhaps you could come up through Saskatchewan? what does Mapquest suggest? as they default to the shortest distance.

Must be nice not to have to think about fuel prices LOL, but there are other incidentals as well such as meals and lodging. I know northern route you have to plan out.. as you see NOTHING for some very long periods, where if you travel via the US.. this is not the case.

Either way have a great trip! and bring you're fishing rod :) some dandy lakes up there.

I assume you are going for work? This was the case for me.

G.

The North Shore of Superior (17) can be horrible in heavy snow or icing conditions but I'll give MOT a thumbs up as for plowing and maintaining 17 in the winter. I grew up and spent most of my life on the prairies, and there, it's just not heavy snow or icing conditions you need to worry about, but high winds as well. I've driven both #1 and #16 too many time in the middle of a good 3 day blow with heavy drifting and poor visibility all the way and poor road maintenance to boot. The only plus side is that hitting the ditch in Manitoba or Saskatchewan isn't near as bad as hitting the ditch anywhere along 17 from Sault Sainte Marie to Kenora, Any route you take at this time of year will be a crap shoot. Bad weather and road conditions can hit anywhere.

Edited by Old Man

Red Deer is South West of Camrose. I would use the same directions for either city.

Have a safe drive man.

I personally would go South to Georgia, West to California, then start working North. :-)

LOL thanks brother! shows how little I know about AB, I was going to go there for work, and my father lives in Camrose... then his 6th wife decided she did not like the idea... and that was the end of that... and yes.. 6th wife is correct.

but I do know going through the US is ALOT quicker.

G.

Edited by Gerritt

It could be hit or miss either way. I've gone both ways (on the road)several times. I'd have it good going through canada one way and crap through the states the other. One time going through the states they closed the interstate. Transports and 4x4 only at first and you had to be engaged or get a ticket. Then they closed it all down. Had to go way south. Took me four days to go from Windsor to Portal...

Be safe and have a great trip! If you get a chance go across to the Ice Fields parkway from Red Deer, you'll see some fantastic sights!

Just by coincidence I was talking to my neighbor last night about this very same thing. He's a long haul trucker who goes to BC frequentely and says he nearly always goes thru the States and says on average, he saves about 8 hours actual driving time.

Don't forget the passport if going south and if you're taking anything questionable along, it can make the trip a major headache. I've done the trip a number of times in the winter, the worst stretch always seems to be between Espanola to just east of Winnipeg, completely dependant on the snow precipitation and wind driving it. Plan to go both ways and leave the final decision until the day you go. Make sure you have a "winter kit" with you.

Done the drive many times. When I moved to Yellowknife I did it the week before Christmas driving my fully loaded down Honda Civic Si towing a 4X8 trailer full of stuff. The only places that I had some minor issues with were a long slippery uphill North of LSPP where I was having traction problems due to all the weight on the back of the car. I made it but spun the tires a bit and was worried for a minute. The second place I had issues was in Sask. the wind was out of the North andit was blowing snow across the highway creating a lovely 600km long stretch of black ice. I kept the speed down and had no problems but I had to be on my game at all times.

If you take your time it is a pretty good drive even in the winter.

I would take HWY16 (The Yellowhead Trail) just West of Portage La Prarie Manitoba to Saskatoon then 14 West to Biggar Sask. to 51/12 West to Stettler AB to 11 West into Red Deer. The Hwy 16 route is much more scenic than the Trans Canada route through Sask. There are more rolling hills and trees to block the wind too.

Have a good trip and let us know how you make out.

Hey guys, I know there is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm sure more than a handful of you have made this trek.

January first I will be leaving, I'm driving a new honda civic so no 4x4, also driving by myself.

Question is, would it be safer to drive through the states at this time of year or just stay on the trans canada

Would like to make a stop in Thunder Bay to see my aunt and uncle and rest for the night.

I'd think about going up hwy 11up to Cochrane and go around the top side to get to TBay. It is longer but is a fairly straight road that isn't quite as treacherous as 17. Truckers go that way and avoid 17 north of the Soo.

Did that almost 25yrs ago to the day.

My girlfriend and I set out for Calgary in a Toyota celica GTS. Jan 2.

Most amasing hair raising trip of my life so far. we took the nortern rout along THE GREAT LAKES.

SIMPLY SPECTACULAR in the winter.

But looking back now simply STUPID...

It took 6 days but suprisingly enough didnt hit the ditch once but helped many others. Not to mention forced to stay in Brandon for the night buy the RCMP. We were forced off the road due to ice. Ended up in some cheap tavern with rooms WHOA WHAT A NITE!!!! Headed out the next morning with my superman suit on. :devil::rofl2:

Piont is fill up your gas tank at 1/4FULL every time AND BE PREPARED FOR BRUTAL COLD TEMPS/ANY WEATHER CONDITION...

Or go through the states.. (easy drive) Im shure you will have a good time either way :devil:

Just remember.

North of Sudbury will be BRUTAL.

Good luck. :thumbsup_anim:

I have done the drive many times when I used to work in the northern oilfields in the winter.

Canada is less hassles with no border issues but you will find more stops in the US but also pay more attention to the speed you travel.

Plan by the weather, the route along the lake from Sault St Marie to T-Bay is a much nicer drive(more interesting) than the northern road but only in good weather. Driving across Ontario is half the drive, I always liked driving across the prairies and they go fast. Take the Yellow Head Trail and stay on the northern route.

A few tips:

- plan your fuel stops so you always have lots.

- Give yourself time, poor weather and accidents can slow you down, being in a hurry is not good.

- Watch for animals, deer and moose are very common north and west, most will take out a honda.

- In Manitoba a hamburger is called a Nip. :dunno:

- Load up on washer fluid.

- Enjoy the drive, take a camera, you will remember the drive for a long time.

- Drive safe

Edited by Michael Brown

Going through the states there are a lot more small towns to slow down for. I think the roads are better in the states as there are few hills similar to those from T Bay to SSM.

If the weather is decent I drive through Canada, even though the states is a few less kms it is quicker through Canada.

But in bad weather the north shore of superior is not fun. Last Christmas it took me almost 18hrs from Wpg to SSM, usually is around 14hrs.

I always throw in a sleeping bag and some water and food driving 17N in the winter.