Quick Legal Question

Fishnwire

Is it legal for me to carry my fishing/camp knife in it's sheath on my belt while in town?

It's the non-folding type and has a 6 inch blade.

The only time I would do this is on my way to or coming back from camp, but I sometimes stop at the gas station or grocery store or whatever and realize I have it on and wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Yep, like Randy, I'm lost without a knife on me somewhere. I must pull it out at least a dozen times a day. It sure is handy!!

S.

I love knives. I have at least 5 on me every day at work be it a small box cutter, 3" Gerber in my key fob pocket, or my multi-tool knives. They are just so useful. I believe there is a restriction on length if the knife is concealed, but worn overtly out in the open, no restrictions that I know of.

Its a grey area and it depends on what you're using it for...if you're walking around and having it for no real reason, then it could be seen as carrying a weapon. If you're using it for work or on your way fishing etc, then yes its legal.

But as soon as its used for more than its intended purpose ie fishing, work etc, then you can get yourself in trouble

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Thanks folks...for some reason I thought the law distinguished between folding and non-folding type knives, with non-folding ones having certain restrictions. Now I know...OFC comes through again.

Sudbury is a rough town.

Only if the biker gang you belong to is weak. ;)

Being a scab might increase your chances of getting punched out though.

Thanks folks...for some reason I thought the law distinguished between folding and non-folding type knives, with non-folding ones having certain restrictions. Now I know...OFC comes through again.

Only if the biker gang you belong to is weak. ;)

Being a scab might increase your chances of getting punched out though.

Lol, just razzing you. A little North Bay / Sudbury competition. You definately win with shopping and restaurants!

I spent a fair amount of time in North Bay in the early 90's when I was single and my best friend was attending Canadore. I had a lot of fun there and better than normal "luck" at the bars.

You almost certainly have a more favorable nice-house-to-low-mortgage-payments ratio than those in Sudbury right now, so you've got that going for you too.

I thought only switchblades were illegal

switchblades and any blade that opens with any power other than centrifical force is classified as a prohibited weapon.

the context of how the knife is used is what makes the knife legal/illegal

if you're on the shoreline filletting a shore lunch then the 6" fillet knife is legal. if you're carrying it for protection then its a weapon. i carry a knife because its a tool i use to cut seatbelts, open bags, etc. and as such under the criminal code its treated as such. As soon as its pulled on someone, or im carrying it and i commit a serious assault or threaten someone with it it is a weapon

switchblabes, butterfly knives.... any knife like those mentioned that can be opened with one hand are illegal. sucks, cause i love knives and have a small collection, and used to have a butterfly knife that i loved. but cant possess or buy them anywhere anumore.

as stated, as long as the knife is sheathed, and in view on a belt, it legal. unless u use it for something illegal lol. when i fish, or camp, even hiking trails, i always have one or 2 knives on me, they are such an invaluable tool to have. one i carry is a US navy seal issue combact knife, other is either a multi tool, or smaller folding knife. as with most tools, they are only dangerous if used dangerously!

switchblades and any blade that opens with any power other than centrifical force is classified as a prohibited weapon.

the context of how the knife is used is what makes the knife legal/illegal

if you're on the shoreline filletting a shore lunch then the 6" fillet knife is legal. if you're carrying it for protection then its a weapon. i carry a knife because its a tool i use to cut seatbelts, open bags, etc. and as such under the criminal code its treated as such. As soon as its pulled on someone, or im carrying it and i commit a serious assault or threaten someone with it it is a weapon

I carry a knife clipped inside my pocket (clip visible on the outside) at ALL times to "clean my nails"! Hell.. it even made it on a flight to Manchester in 2009. Forgot it was even there.. and they were happy, when the wand went off, that I threw my loose change in the tray at Pearson !

Edited by irishfield