Good fishing cottage rentals

dave1965

Ok all you fishing experts.

I'm looking for a place to book our annual fishing get together. We're a group of 12 to 15 friends that have got together for fishing every late May, early June for the past 8 years.Places we`ve gone to include: The French River,Temagami, Kawarthas, and Land o`Lakes. While i usually love surfing the net looking at all the amazing places, I thought that the folks at OFC could advise some awesome places.

Aside from good fishing,of course, we are looking for cottages that could sleep each guy in seperate beds with a minimum of 6 boats with motors,for 3 nights. We`re also hoping to keep it less than 5 hours from Toronto.

So any lead would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,sincerely,

`DR`Dave

Take advantage of your 5 hour limit and go as far north as you can. I wish I had a place to recommend, but judging from previous post, it gets better as you go further north. Obviously you're going after walleye and pike and the best walleye stories I hear about come from the north. (with the exception of Quinte at times)

There are a few sections of the French, why not try em all! Easy drive to location, are you looking for housekeeping cottage or do you want your meals included? I have been fishing the French for years and the first few weeks of walleye are usually incredible. For a 5 hour radius There is no need to go further north. Unless you want to drive another 3-5 hours.

Take advantage of your 5 hour limit and go as far north as you can. I wish I had a place to recommend, but judging from previous post, it gets better as you go further north. Obviously you're going after walleye and pike and the best walleye stories I hear about come from the north. (with the exception of Quinte at times)

Whoa!!!! This is unbelievably awesome!!! I wrote this post before I went to bed last night and already received a multitude of truly great leads! I'm going to be all over the place but please bear with me.

1) Yes, we have been doing the housekeeping thing since we have some great chefs who enjoys making gourmet meals after the fishing!

2) Jimmer, you're right, Walleye and Pike is our thing and although last year Sturgeon Lake (in the Kawarthas) was excellent and Elephant Lake the year before, I have been playimg with the idea of going further North for great Walleye!The furthest North being Temagami.

3)FYI we call our friendly tournament the Annual RASS Fishing Classic - RASS an acronym for " Real Angling Super Stars" which is really funny since only half of the guys could be considered really good fishermen while the rest of us do as much socializing as fishing. We're even attracting some young guns in their early 20s to accompany us old older "farts" in our fourties -incidentally these young guns have been kicking our _sses in the past few years! We do have some friends from Quebec ( Montreal) so some yeras we tried to make it a little closer for them.

Anyways I will begin my task to responding to the responses I have been receiving and I'm so, so grateful for all yer suggestions and looking forward to more!

Sincerely,

"DR" Dave

How about Lake Nosbonsing or Talon Lake in North Bay? Both should have what you are looking for. Lake Nipissing has about 100 of the resorts you seek from West arm, to Callander Bay, to South Shore. Fishing is good but you have to work. However the dates you mentioned in your OP are perfect for Nipissing.

How about Lake Nosbonsing or Talon Lake in North Bay? Both should have what you are looking for. Lake Nipissing has about 100 of the resorts you seek from West arm, to Callander Bay, to South Shore. Fishing is good but you have to work. However the dates you mentioned in your OP are perfect for Nipissing.

We never tried Lake Nipissing as we've preferred smaller lakes for safety reasons. But I'll take a look at Lake Nosbonsing, Talon Lake, and Callander Bay.

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

12-15 friends that each require a separate bedroom? That almost certainly would require multiple cottages.

As far as a recommendation I can give you all kinds within 5 hours of the GTA. Each and every one will have marginal fishing.

If you go once a year just drive to Nakina and be done with it. You'll catch stupid numbers of fish.

PM me if you're willing to drive 13 hours.

Slightly outside of your 5 hours but we enjoyed Ellen Island Camp on Laduy Evelyn-housekeeping, multiple cottages and boats.

Lady E is great fishing but the one thing I would recommend is to do lots of research on this site for spots, tips, baits etc as we didn't find the lodge owner or the dock guys knowledgable at all about the fishing (if not for a few friendly folks in the camp at the same time we would have really struggled)

www.ellenislandcamp.com

Slightly outside of your 5 hours but we enjoyed Ellen Island Camp on Laduy Evelyn-housekeeping, multiple cottages and boats.

Lady E is great fishing but the one thing I would recommend is to do lots of research on this site for spots, tips, baits etc as we didn't find the lodge owner or the dock guys knowledgable at all about the fishing (if not for a few friendly folks in the camp at the same time we would have really struggled)

www.ellenislandcamp.com

Hey Gordy,

I was just checking out Ellen Island Camp last night. While it looks incredible and I've heard that Lady Evelyn Lake is awesome for Walleye ( I saw a Cronzy show at Lady Evelyn Lake), it would be a bit of a pain for us to wait for a ferry ride back and forth for us to the island epecially with all the food and booze we tend to run out of frequently.

Thanks,

DR. Dave

Edited by DR. Dave

You can also try a couple of places at the Moon River where it drains into Georgian Bay. This is only two hours from the city and has plenty of Bass and Pike with the odd Walleye. Google it because there is Moon River Cottages and at least one other place there.

My buddy and i have been fishing there for over 20 years in July and have a blast.

12-15 friends that each require a separate bedroom? That almost certainly would require multiple cottages.

As far as a recommendation I can give you all kinds within 5 hours of the GTA. Each and every one will have marginal fishing.

If you go once a year just drive to Nakina and be done with it. You'll catch stupid numbers of fish.

PM me if you're willing to drive 13 hours.

Oh no solo paddler, not seperate bed rooms, but individual beds- even bunk beds would be fine, in fact preferable since it usualy costs less. In fact we've rented 4 cottages before and each year our numbers are growing.

The most efficient packages for us have been the "Spring Fishing Specials" which combine the cottages and boats for 3 nights like we enjoyed at Elephant Lake and Net Lake.

I'll e-mail the guys and see what they think about driving further out. I'm sure if it means lots of monster fish, it would be easy to convince since weve had some trips with the most beautiful cottages, really nice boats, great weather and only 4 hours away, but the fishing was really tough!( we were at Big Gull Lake that year). No doubt the guys would have traded that in for a far away,1 star cottage but with awesome fishing, in a heart beat!

Dr. Dave

You can also try a couple of places at the Moon River where it drains into Georgian Bay. This is only two hours from the city and has plenty of Bass and Pike with the odd Walleye. Google it because there is Moon River Cottages and at least one other place there.

My buddy and i have been fishing there for over 20 years in July and have a blast.

Great suggestion! A few of us fished the Moon River last year and we landed some huge Bass and Pike. For our little "tourney" I never found too many cottagse rentals there but I'll cerainly check again.

Thanks,

Dr. Dave

Hey Gordy,

I was just checking out Ellen Island Camp last night. While it looks incredible and I've heard that Lady Evelyn Lake is awesome for Walleye ( I saw a Cronzy show at Lady Evelyn Lake), it would be a bit of a pain for us to wait for a ferry ride back and forth for us to the island epecially with all the food and booze we tend to run out of frequently.

Thanks,

DR. Dave

True although you can pre order your beer through the lodge-just over order, and it would probably only be 2 ferry ride in. When we were there 11 of us (4 different groups) went in at the same time

Anyway-good luck with your search!