fishnsled

Just wondering what you are using and if you are happy with it. I'm considering the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. Seemed to take some great shots on the fly in trip but does lack in the zoom department. Is there a decent underwater with a kick :asshat: zoom? I haven't come across one yet.

Edited by fishnsled

You'll never get an underwater P&S camera with high optical zoom. Gotta remember that the lens needs to stay inside the housing and this really limits the zoom. The odds are you aren't going to be taking a lot of ISO 1600 pics, so the Lumix would be the choice for me.

I just destroyed another Canon SD1400 due to water.(My third) I won't be buying another one, lol!!!

Edited by BillM

The Casio one is pretty neat but check out how crappy the resolution gets as the frame rate increases - Youtube has plenty of videos showing this...personally I'd wait for better technology to arrive. And keep in mind Canon and lots of other companies make underwater housing for normal P&S cameras which may be something else to look into instead of limiting yourself just to the few water/shock/freeze proof cameras on the market.

The Casio one is pretty neat but check out how crappy the resolution gets as the frame rate increases - Youtube has plenty of videos showing this...personally I'd wait for better technology to arrive. And keep in mind Canon and lots of other companies make underwater housing for normal P&S cameras which may be something else to look into instead of limiting yourself just to the few water/shock/freeze proof cameras on the market.

You must be reading my mind Brandon. I hate to be the first to jump in on new technology, I like to wait a year or two for them to sort out the bugs. Any recommendations for a boat camera? I was simply looking at the waterproofs for the rainy days and the odd under water shot. My old Canon S2 did me very well for the last 6-7 years and loved having that zoom. Thinking of going SLR eventually but would also like the convenience of a P&S as a second camera that fits in a pocket.

Thanks again for all the input gentlemen.

Now i'm personally a Canon guy but I was in the Henrys in Windsor the other day and was playing around with Nikon's new water/shock/freeze proof camera....and it's pretty cool! even has a built in GPS and compass

http://www.henrys.com/66142-NIKON-COOLPIX-AW100-ORANGE-16MP-5X-WIDE-ANGLE-3-WATERPROOF.aspx

But I haven't used a point n shoot camera in years so your best bet is to hear what the others are saying and bring that knowledge into a camera store and try some out!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I've ever used a Nikon DSLR that didn't give me excellent results...It boggles my mind trying to understand why every Nikon P&S I've ever used or owned just didn't perform well - compared to other P&S even for less money - when it came to image quality :dunno:

When it comes to P&S cameras, Canon and Panasonic have performed very well for me over the years.

Thanks again for the input. It would be nice if Canon came out with an HD P&S underwater camera. The D10 gets great reviews but would like to have a HD camera. A buddy of mine has been very happy with his Panasonic. Starting to lean that way and it's on sale this week at Blacks for $320.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering what you are using and if you are happy with it. I'm considering the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. Seemed to take some great shots on the fly in trip but does lack in the zoom department. Is there a decent underwater with a kick asshat.gif zoom? I haven't come across one yet.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-1_GPS_Gray

Pentax Optio - fully waterproof and only waterproof and ruggidized camera on market which has a remote so you can take photos when you are alone. Comes with GPS. Just expensive, but, great camera.