company christmas party

jedimaster

I try and take my 2 employees and their guest/spouse out for a Christmas meal, a few drinks and a show.

The one guy that’s married; he and his wife really seem to enjoy the night. The single guy shows up and you can tell there’s somewhere else he’d rather be.

So for me the success of these Xmas functions, really depends on the individual’s social skills and wanting to make or break the night for them selves?

Last year I told the guys that my wife and I are going to be at such & such restaurant, at this time and date, you’re more then welcome; I’m buying. The single guy didn’t show, which was fine by me (it cost me less) and we had a great time without a clock watcher, waiting for his chance to dash.

With that being said, the single guy is a good worker with a great attitude. He likely has enough of me during business hours; me being 30 years his senior and a different outlook as to what is fun?

I can’t blame him for that either; a single 24 year old guy with no commitments; hum let me think here, go and sit with the boss or go to the clubs and do some trolling; hands down I loose and the more power to him. :thumbsup_anim:

Dan.

We never had a company party, but we always had a huge roast beef feast with all the fixins in the firehall just before Christmas. We were all friends so there were never really any bosses.

Then we always prayed the bell never rang before we finished eating :lol:

We did the same thing when my old shifts worked on Christmas. Someone would bring in a turkey and fixings and we have a feast in shifts lol...we always pray for a slow night, but xmas is never ever fun to work

We just have a Christmas lunch. We all decide on a nice, ritzy restaurant we like, then book it for lunchtime, eat, drink, be merry and then get to go home after and we're off till after boxing day. We enjoy it. Most of my co-workers are English so they have a great time ordering the English beers on tap, generally making the waitress repeat "what's on tap" 3 or 4 times just for fun :whistling::lol:

Since I work at a university, I am at every holiday gathering. And I am working during it. I supply the audio cd's for the background holiday(I always sneak in Snoopy vs. the Red Baron in there, people love it)music ,and microphones for people who speak and call out ticket numbers for the many prizes on hand, and have to ride the mixer just in case the ticket caller gets a wee bit too close to one of the speakers. Since we are very multicultural, lots of people of different faiths, religions, and beliefs show up. We all get along just fine. We have to to make this place work. My supervisor is younger than me, but he always stays to help me put away all the equipment.

Our departmental one on the other hand I really have no interest in. I see them every day. Done it a couple times over the years, but it's not the same atmosphere as the whole university one where people other than the ones in my department are going to be there.

We usually have a couple of Christmas shindigs at work.

The first is the big staff party (had it Friday night) and this is held at one of the local bars/eateries and is a pay per plate deal. We have a gift exchange, full dinner and dj/dancing afterward. I go for the meal, drinks and gift exchange but as soon as the dj turns on his equipment I run out of the place like it's on fire!!!! The dj sucks and so does his sound system. :rolleyes:

I have high standards though as I did light and sound in some of TO's buggest clubs in the 80's and 90's. B)

The second shindig is lunch for the managers. I go to this one too because I can't turn down a free lunch. LOL

It's done by the director as a thanks for keeping things running well during the year.

It's usually held at one of the better restaurants in town too. The kind of place I usually avoid 'cause I'm cheap!!! :lol:

I think it helps that I have a great job at a great place and work with a bunch of great people. :good::good:

Mercman, you are generous to a fault. Your staff should consider themselves fortunate.

Solopaddler:

Maybe so, maybe so.....BUT all of my coworkers are Muslim.

I work with a Muslim guy, he goes to the Christmas party every year, he enjoys it and feels that we all have our choice to follow your own culture and except that it is not just a religious holiday anymore but one of celebration. That said, his wife never attends the company party nor does she go to the small one our department has for ourselves but he does.

And in answer to the question, yes this year my wife and I are going, last year no, year before yes and the first year at this company we didn't go and just as well. The entertainment was a bunch of guys in drag doing impersonations. The store where I work has a party partly funded by the company with the rest of the money coming from the social commitee. There will be a meal, dance, treats and prizes with the top being $1000. Hope I win it, I just forked out 200 bucks so my wife can have something to wear and 20 bucks for her to go (my entry is free.)

Guess I'll have to wear a T shirt and jeans.... :lol:

Depends on the type of workplace. Small companies have a friendly, family feel to them. They are fun.

Larger firms get divided into stuffed shirts, the wannabe's and the workers. Always have to be on best behaviour and mindful of what is said and done.

Worst is where the only common interest you share with co-workers is the job. All you can talk about is shop.

I love my work Christmas party. Open Bar. Everyone is always SO stressed out at my work, all the time. So when the party rolls around, we all get totally wrecked. I mean absolutely polluted. :blink: Everyone does.. Specially the president, and his wife.. The pictures are posted the folowing monday, and laughed over for the entire next year.. Free shuttles home, and we have it on a Saturday, so no excuse to miss work the next day!

We've all been talking about it for months now.

Edited by N.A.W

Depends on the type of workplace. Small companies have a friendly, family feel to them. They are fun.

Larger firms get divided into stuffed shirts, the wannabe's and the workers. Always have to be on best behaviour and mindful of what is said and done.

Worst is where the only common interest you share with co-workers is the job. All you can talk about is shop.

I agree, i have to pay to attend my xmas party, 25 for me 50 for the wife, this is a large corp. with a unionized workforce. It is mostly just an opportunity for the phonies to play the corporate game at a different venue, strangely enough those same people always seem to be available for the party, every year, while others are usually scheduled to work. When I worked at another location the parties were very family oriented, like bowling for example, and it was a good time, this place is just chock full of phonies who's only real talent is self promotion.

They can have it, I hope they have a great time.

I started working for a different company last July after 12 years with my previous company. Got the Xmas party/dinner invite with my last paycheck a week or so ago. Basically it's dinner and drinks with the wives/girlfriends at a rather fancy local eatery. Sadly I'll have to decline because I don't own a button up shirt.

Wait a sec. Maybe I can borrow one of Terrys old fishing shirts??? This just might work out afterall!! :thumbsup_anim:

I worked 22 years for the same Family owned contractor. When I started there, they paid all Mechanics a $500 Christmas bonus and all Apprentices $300. They always had a party as well for the employees and their Spouses or significant others. Food, Music, and drinks were all paid for. That bonus pretty much represented close to a weeks pay for most guys and they looked at it as being able to take a few days off between Christmas and New Years without it affecting their pay cheques. We only got paid for hours worked. Statutory holidays and vacation days were covered by an annual 10% vacation pay. Yes, we were a unionized shop.

In 1992, the economy took a down turn and they announced that they had to stop the bonuses. We didn't like it, but were glad to still have jobs. We thought that once things picked up, they might come back. We still had the parties and as the company grew larger, they became more lavish and extravagant. The only difference was that the drinks were cut back to 2 per person. Again, not a big deal.

As time moved forward, drinks were cut out completely and it was a cash bar all the way. Okay, they said it was for legal reasons. Some years, we even had the party on a Sunday afternoon at Woodbine racetrack with a lavish lunch buffet. Most of the expensive food was wasted because the guys liked basic meat and potatoes. My beef with these later parties was that (being not a big drinker anyways) I had to pay $4.00 to $6.00 for a soft drink or bottle of water! Just nuts!

Here's the part that got me the most! At one of the latter parties in a large hotel, the boss has a few too many. Normally, he never says a public speech or anything at these things. So...this year he gets up and says....the company had their BEST year ever that year and grossed $60,000,000.00!!! All I could think of was....so where's my $500??? LOL This was a few years after the bad one in 1992 and things were definitely on the upswing!

Anyways, I just found it strange how things had become. I still went each year and we had fun with the people we got along with the most. I never enjoyed it as much as I did in the early days when we all got together for a fun time and someone brought their stereo to play music on. Some of the places even had a pool table to play on.

I changed jobs 4 years ago and now we have a very nice dinner at a nice restaurant, but it is only the employees...no guests. I don't get a bonus here either, but I do get a fair bit of time off with pay over the holidays, so I'm happy with that.

Christmas Parties are awesome if you like where you work and the people you work with! I never last long in a job where I don't enjoy being around the majority of the people or if there's a crappy work environment...don't know how some people do it. I've been with the same company for the past 4 years it's been awesome, I've made lifelong friends and a lot of connections. They treat the staff and management really well. They really believe in staff parties/activities throughout the year. Softball tournaments, Football tournaments, Ski/Snowboard events, Awards parties, Christmas parties (one guest for free with free booze and food) and a couple others parties throughout the year, paid for by the company for the most part (meals, accommodations and a few drink tickets) . I can truly say that these events have helped build a great team in the 4 years. The turnover rate is very small compared to most in our industry. People that I previously didn't like working with have become good friends after getting to know them at events. I say go to the Christmas party...you never know, you might just have a good time.

I've worked at the same steel-pipe manufacturing facility for eight years and have not attended the christmas party once......Why not, you might ask?.....Just not not a fan of crowds and what not, My personal preferance I guess.

well I go to the wifes every year and wouldn't miss it it's basicly just a meal but it is where it is

the Eire Beach in Port Dover

food spread is

cocktail shrimp to start and they are huge

chese and crackers

then in no real order

eire beach salads

buffalo shrimp (breaded shrimp with wing sauce)

perch

pickeral (walleye for some of you )

then

mashed potatoes

veggys

turkey

then

desert

the above is basically all you can eat

hard to say no