smallmouths thru the ice

FinS

hey guys any of u here ever fish for smallmouths thru the ice where it is legal of course

what would be some good baits to try

i have the opportunity this christmas to fish a small lake that is open all year which has a strong population of them

just looking for some pointers

thanks

we got 25 one day when we were trying to learn how to get lakers...

they really like the old hook and minnow set up as well as williams woblers gold and silver half and half hammered finish... about 3 inch spoon with 3 inch shinners

they were positioned on the biggest hump on the lake...

the hump topped out around 18-20 feet... the bass were in 20-25... no deeper...

I never tried for bass thru the ice simply because I always thought there's no winter season for them in Ontario. Am I wrong?

Michael

largies and smallies are open all year where I live (rainy river, zone 5)

I've tried numerous times to fish smallies through the ice, and it's really, really tough (at least for me, lol). When I can get on them it's fun though! But for everytime I target them and do well, theres another day I get skunked.

I've had numerous baits work, but I find deadsticking to be the most productive approach

Although not smallies, and out of season to boot. With the new Kawartha winter panfish season, we have caught a surprising number of good sized largies the last couple years.

Best one had to be over 5lbs caught by my buddy on Buckhorn (sorry for the OOS pic), he's almost 300lbs, so the fish looks a bit smaller:

2010_0309pictures0001.JPG

We certainly have never been targetting them, but they don't seem to be shy of a panfish bait.