New Spinning reel

cynmar

Okay guys, I'm getting burnt out trying to decide on a new reel. I'm looking at a number but I've got it narrowed down to a few. The Shimano SarosF, Pflueger supreme Xt,, Quantum Catalyst pti, and the Okuma Inspira 20. Now, I am leaning to the SarosF, but can't understand the difference between it and the others , and as well, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the Saros and the STradicFJ. Need some direction here, trying to compare apples to apples but for example the Okuma offers 9 ball bearings but the Saros only 3 I think it is. Heeelp,:worthy:

I am big on Pflueger for my spinning reels. I have owned some shimano spinning and personally didn't care for them. I love shimano baitcasters though. I would say Pflueger hands down but it all depends on your preference. I think for the most part though when you are looking at reels in the same range it is what you like the feel on the best.

I am big on Pflueger for my spinning reels. I have owned some shimano spinning and personally didn't care for them. I love shimano baitcasters though. I would say Pflueger hands down but it all depends on your preference. I think for the most part though when you are looking at reels in the same range it is what you like the feel on the best.

X2

Go to the store with your rod, and try them for ''Feel''. What ever feels best to you, is the reel of your dreams.

Never base your decision on the number of ball bearings a reel has.

Finally! The truth be known! I must get a dozen inquiries a day for reels with the most ball bearings! Sometimes the old way really is the best - keep it simple and have less to go wrong, more is not always better! Smooth bail action, drag adjustment and weight are also important considerations. An Avocet II with 4 bb seems to me to be as smooth as an 8 bb 300xe (both mitchells in this example) with the biggest noticeable difference being the size of the reel. Hopefully you're shopping where you can actually handle the reels and feel the differences between them for yourself.

Michael

I have a Saros F, a stradic FI a sustain FE and a Pflueger Patriarch. I really liked the smoothness and the weight of the Patriarch, which is similar to the XT, but had an accident and broke some pieces of it. When I contacted pure fishing to order new pieces they said that I could not have parts delivered directly and that I would have to go through the reel repair center. In the past I have encountered problems getting parts ordered for an abu garcia reel. My point is that if you are going to spend 100+ bucks on a reel it would be nice to be able to order parts for the reel if it breaks. Even though shimano's parts policies have changed recently I still think that they are the easiest manufacturer to get parts from. I really think this should come into play when you are looking at buying a better quality reel, as it will last 10+ years if you take care of it. I would go with the shimano for that reason, and as was previously mentioned look for a stradic FI if you can find one. For whatever reason this reel just feels right in my hand.

there have been a few real good points made so far so here they are quick and easy to read (plus my comments)

bring the rod you intend to use to the store. tis is so you can get a good balance and not be to tip heavy or to light.

bearings and drag. don't count the bearings and make sure the drag is smooth like butter and it's not made from el-cheap-o-parts.

local shop. not only can they help you with the reel you decide to go with (as I'm sure they mave even have an older one kicking around that is new in the box that they would love to make a deal on) but find out what brands they can service under warranty and out of warranty. would you rather drive an hour or more for service or get it done locally?

lastly, by being a regular at your local shop, they get to know you and might offer up some extra info next time you go in for advise (as long as you are a paying customer not a window shopper). like, what's working best on trib xyz, lake x is slaying the abc123 right now with 321zyx. or they may even just start offering you better than sticker price because you are in there spending your hard earnd money in a store they work so hard at to keep open. you never know.

but going in blind here and not knowing at your budget I say a Stradic is a fine reel. have you checked the classified here as well? I have seen some great deals right here!

there have been a few real good points made so far so here they are quick and easy to read (plus my comments)

bring the rod you intend to use to the store. tis is so you can get a good balance and not be to tip heavy or to light.

bearings and drag. don't count the bearings and make sure the drag is smooth like butter and it's not made from el-cheap-o-parts.

local shop. not only can they help you with the reel you decide to go with (as I'm sure they mave even have an older one kicking around that is new in the box that they would love to make a deal on) but find out what brands they can service under warranty and out of warranty. would you rather drive an hour or more for service or get it done locally?

lastly, by being a regular at your local shop, they get to know you and might offer up some extra info next time you go in for advise (as long as you are a paying customer not a window shopper). like, what's working best on trib xyz, lake x is slaying the abc123 right now with 321zyx. or they may even just start offering you better than sticker price because you are in there spending your hard earnd money in a store they work so hard at to keep open. you never know.

but going in blind here and not knowing at your budget I say a Stradic is a fine reel. have you checked the classified here as well? I have seen some great deals right here!

my last rod they lowered the sticker price $20 thumbsup_anim.gif

keep it old school

Daiwa Whiskers in 1300 or light action 700 series. These are tanks, virtually indestructible and have the smoothest drag I've ever fished with.

Another super reel. Who'd have thunk it....only 3 SS ball bearings. :sarcasm:

There you go again Geoff name tribs, I was going to fish that one this weekend but now there will be 10,000 people there!!!

:rofl2::rofl2:

I have had a Saros for about 3 summers now and love it. Last winter I picked up a deal on a Ci4 and, yes, it is also a great reel but I still enjoy using my Saros. Great bang for the buck in my opinion. Seems like lots of opinions on many reels but the Saros...you can't go wrong with this one if you ask me.

Good luck

Rick

I love stradics. I have a CI4 and a FI Stradic. We have all the FJ Stradic models in now and will be selling at a good price our Stradic FI models...Only have 1000 and 4000 size's tho.(Gagnon's)

Either way if u can go better but once u hit the stradic mark there is no need to go further IMO.

Hey Mike, any idea what the discounted price will be on the Stradic FI 1000? I've asked Santa for a new reel and had suggested the Symmetre FJ 1000 which you guys have for $115 right now, that fits right into her "Santa" budget. If I can upgrade to the Stradic for near the same money, all the better.

Oh man! If I show up there that day, I'll end up with at least 3 or 4 new rod & reel combos betweeen the Stradics, the Compres, the Citicas and especially the Crucials...Oh ya, and a credit card bill I can't afford right now.

What are the chances I can just sneak in just for one of those Stradics. :whistling:

Okay , can someone help me then, I've gone to the Shimano site and the only Stradic's there are the C14 microline, the C14 and the StardicFJ. What is the difference between the Stradic FJ and this Stradic FI that all you guys seem to have. I did look at the Daiwa Whiskers but it is one ugly reel, has great reviews though.:Gonefishing:

Edited by fishingBill